EDC Cirque de Troumouse, Pyrénées, France.

Where you've been and what you done
WIBO

EDC Cirque de Troumouse, Pyrénées, France.

Post by WIBO »

If this is article is read with Firefox or Chrome browser and you have an installed extension to ' allow to see Photobucket Images ' then all images will be seen.

If any one finds themselves in Départment 65 in France and wanting an ideal day ride this little known route is one to go for.

It's one of my favourite rides with plenty of places to stop for coffee etc. It's a dead end route and you'll ride back on yourself..well worth it though. It had just been resurfaced so the going is excellent if you want to go for a snort.

Of course the free GPS route to share can be downloaded in the link below if you so desire.

If your GPS doesn't show the full title enter Héas or Gèdre and you'll get there.

The turn for the dam mentioned later is the only T junction on your way and is signposted 'Barrage' is French for dam.

https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=17547950

I rendezvous with Christophe at his house and take an easy ride to the mountains stopping first at Pont de Napoléon at Luz Saint Sauveur where Christophe takes a few snaps as do I with my 'phone.

The sign says don't walk on the flowers....... :blink:

We ride on stopping at another wee bridge to take in the scenery and to decide whether we should go to Gavernie or Troumouse first.

We decide Truomouse as we can check the dam out there too en route and if we have time then we'll ride Gavernie.

A camera doesn't do Troumouse justice. It's a vast, enormous wall of cliffs and you ride on past the café to the parking higher up, where the wall continues (the road was snowed in).

Camping cars are not allowed and in summer you'll pay a couple of euros at a booth to ride the twisties.

With only a narrow 15cms wide strip of tarmac, bordering rock and a drop we ride to the where the road is blocked with snow for a few snaps

We drop back down to the junction of the dam....at this point I've spotted a couple of cute furry Marmots scurrying around. I threw stones at them.

We take single vehicle wide twisties to the dam.

This would make an ideal day walking trip too if you're into that.

We ride back down and turn right to head to the Cirque de Gavernie too as we've time.

Another massive circle of cliff face

From here on up to Gavernie ski station to see how far we can ride before we're halted by the snow.

The end.

:)

Last edited by WIBO on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?
Spike941

Re: EDC, Cirque de Troumouse,Pyrénées France.

Post by Spike941 »

Some great photos there, definitely going on my 'Must ride before it's too late' list. Thanks for posting.
Tramp

Re: EDC Cirque de Troumouse, Pyrénées, France.

Post by Tramp »

Yep agree the d921 and d922 are superb scenic roads...especially in early morjing....its suprising even in june the snow is still around above the ski station...the pyrenees has to be the best mountain range for bikers as you have dry and wet weather both sides so hoping over the border is easy and the trails are very different...becarefull though in the french national parks......
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Superb stuff (thumbs)
one-legged adventurer
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Agreed, absolutely lovely. I mist have ridden past that dozens of times on the X-Co but never stopped to explote at it's so close to home I just carry on - shame on me! - so this year it's going to be an Alp bimble ... (thumbs)

Thanks for posting

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Great stuff keep those ride reports coming (thumbs)
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

If you're in to walking the Cirque De Gavarnie is worth the effort (thumbs)
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Lovely pictures.

Like the helmet B)
PankGS

Post by PankGS »

Thank you for your interesting post my wife and I will be riding our bikes through there in June hopefully less snow.
geoham

Post by geoham »

Great photos as always Keith (thumbs)

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”