Bit late....August trip east

Where you've been and what you done
BigBashBonanza

Re: Bit late....August trip east

Post by BigBashBonanza »

AndyB wrote:
BigBashBonanza wrote:A quality RR. You and your bike with mixed emotions and plenty of time to think about them.
Agreed it is a place everyone should visit, very poignant, moving and great pics. (thumbs)

Did you go in Harem's (to watch the Dakar build up :whistle: ?) ;)
If he did then I hope he paid cash because some things are best not appearing on credit card statements.
:pinch: Snigger snigger
Look Large, Be Massive

Follow the Sapper
V2orV4

Post by V2orV4 »

bond_yzf wrote:Only place in the Czech Republic I'm looking to visit and thats the Church of bones!!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Thanks for report. If visiting Prague, how about researching Operation Anthropoid and visiting the Crypt, amazing true story!

Steve.
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

BigBashBonanza wrote:A quality RR. You and your bike with mixed emotions and plenty of time to think about them.
Agreed it is a place everyone should visit, very poignant, moving and great pics. (thumbs)

Unfortunately I was running short on time :whistle:
BigBashBonanza

Post by BigBashBonanza »

bond_yzf wrote:

Unfortunately I was running short on time :whistle:
Ha ha ha, what a bummer (pardon the pun....)
Look Large, Be Massive

Follow the Sapper
cjcbrsix

Post by cjcbrsix »

Very interesting stuff and a reminder of how lucky we are now, thanks for posting it all mate
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Thanks for posting.
Heading off into Central/Eastern Europe is always a "different" experience.
As you proved, it's only a good day's ride from the channel ports.
The Polish and Czech people in general suffered so much under the Nazi occupation and we owe it to the memory of those who died in the concentration/death camps to continue to visit them and reflect on the crimes committed against them.
I often travel out this way, generally my first stop is the Youth Hostel at Colditz Castle. In the morning it's interesting to take the Castle tour, the ingenuity of the Allied prisoners (mostly airforce officers) in their escape attempts is amazing.
It's a few hundred miles East from Colditz to Auschwitz.
The madness of the Nazi ideology is illustrated in the difference between the two places.
Colditz was a prison for men who'd dropped bombs on German industrial installations and cities, men who'd heroically risked their lives to defeat Germany, yet they were accorded human rights and although the conditions were tough they were generally treated fairly and their lives were not at risk. Yet, a few hundred miles to the East innocent men, women and children were put to death on an industrial scale.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Awesome ride report! We were there in late July. I do think that Auschwitz and Birkenau are a reminder to us all about what can happen to a sane, rational, well-educated, cultured nation given the combination of a charismatic leader, propaganda, economic situation and apathy elsewhere.

We pitched our tent outside the restaurants by the main gate to Auschwitz 1 in the overnight campervan parking area. The fact we were next to an abandoned railway line dating from that time, as well as the distant sound of trains.......well you can imagine what emotions that generated for me after the visit, not my best night's sleep ever !
boatman

Post by boatman »

Those pics clearly show that no one who lost their lives in struggle against the Nazi regime did so in vain.
Had they triumphed that horror would likely have been replicated across the planet

Well done J ,,, that's difficult stuff to confront
A wee look at the Ossiary at Verdun should be on the list

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”