from norway to somewhere south with a wheelchair!

Where you've been and what you done
scubabiker

Re: from norway to somewhere south with a wheelchair!

Post by scubabiker »

sunnaastovinterbro.png
sunnaastovinterbro.png (529.8 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
so yeah, here is the little trip from yesterday, purple is the way there and green was the return trip, some fantastic hairpins bends and great views over the fjord.
if you are wondering where in norway that is stay tuned for an update with a bigger scale map!
scubabiker

Post by scubabiker »

stordtosunnaas.png
stordtosunnaas.png (620.94 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
a ha!
i worked out how to do google (doogle?) this was pretty much the route i took to get here, although it was 505km and not 478 as i stayed on the E134 even though my satnav and google think its better to take the 362 after haukeligrend (a little backroad that was actually still snowed in!)
i might take a differnt route home though, we shall see, still need to fix my bike, its been throwing oil up into the airbox for some reason....
TriumphTart

Post by TriumphTart »

My hat goes off to you. And I worry about 'am I going to get too hot or cold', or 'I don't like the wet roads'. Fair play to you, I think this is amazing (thumbs)
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

nataliesmith0467 wrote:My hat goes off to you. And I worry about 'am I going to get too hot or cold', or 'I don't like the wet roads'. Fair play to you, I think this is amazing (thumbs)
Experience is what its about. Get the miles under your belt and never ever go outside your comfort zone in terms of pushing yourself or the bike. In a group if you feel its going too fast, fall back and let them off. If they don't see you fall back and don't wait, well that's one thing. If they hassle you to speed up, that's another but either case means they are not for you. If something worries or troubles you about the bike, ask and never ignore it. Equally no one will make you feel small for asking a question- we all started somewhere.

Confidence comes with experience, getting out as often as you can and sometimes learning from others but don't be pushed or bullied and always find your own groove. Experience means you will sometime find wet roads, or cold, or fog. Its worth learning what you can do in these conditions rather than riding scared stiff. It may mean learning about better rain gear too, all comes in time.

The guys here are all experienced and will see you right, meet up occasionally for a coffee or whatever.

It doesn't take much to think about a trip, start small, pack what you need and go for a night or 2 to some B&B in a nice place. If adventure is what you like then in time tent and camping gear and a few weeks in France or further afield will seem like a trip to the paper shop.

Go in a car and you are on your own if you have trouble. Go on a bike and bikers all over will help you out so you are never alone.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
scubabiker

Post by scubabiker »

nataliesmith0467 wrote:My hat goes off to you. And I worry about 'am I going to get too hot or cold', or 'I don't like the wet roads'. Fair play to you, I think this is amazing (thumbs)
not sure if i posted this one, but took it in december, went for a bike camping trip instead of the usual christmas! it was so cold that my floats froze open and the carbs flooded, add to that the fact that the key switch was frozen on and i had just pulled into a petrol station...
there is a saying here: "det finnes ikkje daarlig vaer, bare daarlig klaer"
meaning there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes.
(check out the song "the cabin" by ylvis on youtube he quotes it in a funny way...)
frozenfloats.jpg
frozenfloats.jpg (63.85 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
i dont have a licence for a car so my only transport is motorcycle... plus its my job....
scubabiker

Post by scubabiker »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:
Experience is what its about. Get the miles under your belt and never ever go outside your comfort zone in terms of pushing yourself or the bike. In a group if you feel its going too fast, fall back and let them off. If they don't see you fall back and don't wait, well that's on thing. If the hassle you so speed up, that's another but either case means they are not for you. If something worries or troubles you about the bike, ask and never ignore it. Equally no one will make you feel small for asking a question- we all started somewhere.

Confidence comes with experience, getting out as often as you can and sometimes learning from others but don't be pushed or bullied and always find your own groove. Experience means you will sometime find wet roads, or cold, or fog. Its worth learning what you can do in these conditions rather than riding scared stiff. It may mean learning about better rain gear too, all comes in time.

The guys here are all experienced and will see you right, meet up occasionally for a coffee or whatever.

It doesn't take much to think about a trip, start small, pack what you need and go for a night or 2 to some B&B in a nice place. If adventure is what you like then in time tent and camping gear and a few weeks in France or further afield will seem like a trip to the paper shop. Go in a car and you are on your own if you have trouble. Go on a bike and bikers all over will help you out so you are never alone.
totally agree!
on the subject of bikers helping, i saw a harley stopped yesterday so turned round to help him and there was a car already stopped offering help! how cool is that?! (think he was turning fuel to reserve)
scubabiker

Post by scubabiker »

so yesterday took a 300km round trip to see a friend in larvik, was a little boring with motorway driving nearly the whole way, but kinda fun to ride fast for once
:whistle: :whistle:
larvik didnt leave a great impression for me at all, mainly because of the traffic, but we took a trip down to my friends hometown of stavern, which is well worth a visit if you are heading up from the denmark ferry in kristiansand.
stavern reminded me very much of fredrikstad, its an old town with history from wars, a cool old fortress on its own island. had a nice pizza in a little pub called skipperen (the skipper) which was great after hospital food for 2 weeks...
will take a trip to norways answer to the ace cafe this week hopefully.
and also going to see the kon-tiki museum next weekend, something which i have a great interest in. tor hyredal was a crazy man!
wwdph02

Post by wwdph02 »

Hi Scudabiker,
Just got home Friday from my two week trip, uk to Norway and back, last day was 880 miles through Europe and rain in Germany was the worst I think I have ever ridden in.
Started as Hirstshals, new ferry, not to Kristiansand but to Langesund. The ride to Evje was a good start and next day a loop to lyngdal,farsund flekkefjord and back to evje was a nice day out.
Thought you were meant to be in hospital 4 weeks so good to hear things are improving.
I managed to ride to vemork ww2 memorial heavy water plant at Rjukan to pay my respects.
On to Forde, Stryn, the new panorama road (better than the atlantic highway) dalsnibba, trolstiggen, arctic circle polar centre, Narvik, ferry to lofoten islands, used the korsnes lodingen ferry, down to leknes and back via the polar centre, Trondheim E6 south, 3 past Lillehammer before using Helsingborg ferry, Oresund bridge and back home across to England on the shuttle. Could not access the toll road to dalsnibba as hundreds of tormented cyclists were going uphill from Geiranger and site was only open to them until late in the day.
Over 5000 miles in two weeks and the only day of rain was the whole of Friday, Denmark back to England, hours of rain on blocked german autobahns. Small shower of rain in Holland on first day and one day Mo I Rana road north to bognes so a brilliant holiday and many great photos to go through next week.
Best part was from forde, riding down to Gåsemyr Camping on the e39, next day out to Lote, E39 ferry crossing, take sharp right turn as you leave ferry and there is the 41kM of best fjord following road ever, the newly adapted 613 towards stryn. There is a small clip on youtube, ridden in the other direction to me and may be the older road. New route has a tunnel ( all Norway?) with new picnic and viewing stops along the ride. If you go that way make sure you travel the clockwise way around innvikfjorden, lote to stryn.
Had a great time again in Norway, passed the polar centre 1 am on a night time ride after a Norwegian invite from an R850RT rider. Dave
TriumphTart

Post by TriumphTart »

wwdph02 wrote:Hi Scudabiker,
Just got home Friday from my two week trip, uk to Norway and back, last day was 880 miles through Europe and rain in Germany was the worst I think I have ever ridden in.
Started as Hirstshals, new ferry, not to Kristiansand but to Langesund. The ride to Evje was a good start and next day a loop to lyngdal,farsund flekkefjord and back to evje was a nice day out.
Thought you were meant to be in hospital 4 weeks so good to hear things are improving.
I managed to ride to vemork ww2 memorial heavy water plant at Rjukan to pay my respects.
On to Forde, Stryn, the new panorama road (better than the atlantic highway) dalsnibba, trolstiggen, arctic circle polar centre, Narvik, ferry to lofoten islands, used the korsnes lodingen ferry, down to leknes and back via the polar centre, Trondheim E6 south, 3 past Lillehammer before using Helsingborg ferry, Oresund bridge and back home across to England on the shuttle. Could not access the toll road to dalsnibba as hundreds of tormented cyclists were going uphill from Geiranger and site was only open to them until late in the day.
Over 5000 miles in two weeks and the only day of rain was the whole of Friday, Denmark back to England, hours of rain on blocked german autobahns. Small shower of rain in Holland on first day and one day Mo I Rana road north to bognes so a brilliant holiday and many great photos to go through next week.
Best part was from forde, riding down to Gåsemyr Camping on the e39, next day out to Lote, E39 ferry crossing, take sharp right turn as you leave ferry and there is the 41kM of best fjord following road ever, the newly adapted 613 towards stryn. There is a small clip on youtube, ridden in the other direction to me and may be the older road. New route has a tunnel ( all Norway?) with new picnic and viewing stops along the ride. If you go that way make sure you travel the clockwise way around innvikfjorden, lote to stryn.
Had a great time again in Norway, passed the polar centre 1 am on a night time ride after a Norwegian invite from an R850RT rider. Dave
Do you do this all on your own?
scubabiker

Post by scubabiker »

wwdph02 wrote:Hi Scudabiker,
sounds amazing, you really lucked out on the weather, its never sunny here for that long!
i am still at hospital, but its a rehabilitation thing and im free to go as i please as long as i am here for all the training, which leaves weekends free

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”