Snow report NE Scotland, week before Chrimbo

Where you've been and what you done
africajim

Post by africajim »

Hi all, took the Bonneville out for a run today as the weather was, well, to say the least, unusual! 14c when I left the house and blueish skies, on the 19th Dec in the NE of Scotland?
I only put in 100 miles but man it was brilliant!
Small pockets of snow in the Cairngorm mountain range but not enough to fill snow runs. The Lecht ski resort is completely void of snow so no winter sports there yet this year!
I watched heavy cloud above the Cairngorms and towards the Lecht giving a bit of drizzle in Tomintoul this afternoon, but no snow I'm afraid! :(
Any way, I took a few nice pics, one includes the newest distillery in Scotland, although I'm not sure if the Ballindalloch was before or after the new reincarnation of the Imperial in Carron?
Enjoy the photos guys, hope you're all ready for Chrimbo and the impending new year! I'm on call over the new year but looking forward to Christmas with my Fiona!
And of course, waiting patiently for my new Africa twin, due mid January according to the shop!

Ballindallaoch.jpg
Ballindallaoch.jpg (166.47 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
Church.jpg
Church.jpg (176.38 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
Dalnashach.jpg
Dalnashach.jpg (216.77 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
Glenlivet.jpg
Glenlivet.jpg (162.37 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
Offroad_2015-12-19.jpg
Offroad_2015-12-19.jpg (178.46 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
Tomintoul.jpg
Tomintoul.jpg (147.18 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
Honda, the power of dreams.
sprintster

Re: Snow report NE Scotland, week before Chrimbo

Post by sprintster »

Aye Jim,if only we could guarantee the weather! I'm going to Paisley tomorrow,I'd rather be taking the bike but there could be 6" of snow when I come home next week! :unsure:
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I for one am hoping it doesn't snow to much in the highlands this year as we're doing something I've wanted to do for years & spending new year up there in Ballachulish & hoping to have a run up to one of my favourite places Findhorn Bay while we're there.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
africajim

Post by africajim »

Aye Sprintster, forecast to go back colder next week but I don't think there's a lot of snow coming, but agree, you just never know!
Lancashirelad, it was stunning in Findhorn today, blue skies, sunshine and around 15c! Breezy, but t-shirt weather! Enjoy your trips guys!
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Is the Bonnie good?

Looks nice
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
africajim

Post by africajim »

In all honesty JB mate, it's just a runabout, would make a nice café racer with a set of ace bars, rear sets, nose fairing, tyres and most importantly, decent suspension!
The seat and tank range isn't in the adventure style bracket, just over 100 miles to the petrol light, the seat's a bit of a plank, and it's a small bike, a bit cramped, even for me at 5'9".
But,,,,
I think it's a nice little bike oozing with character, I like it's road manners up to 80ish! Suspension on a par with a cheap mountainbike lets it down over that! It's nice and small for wheeling about and it really looks good! I enjoy it for what it is, a retro twin. You would really need to try one!
IainD

Post by IainD »

lancashirelad wrote:I for one am hoping it doesn't snow to much in the highlands this year as we're doing something I've wanted to do for years & spending new year up there in Ballachulish & hoping to have a run up to one of my favourite places Findhorn Bay while we're there.
Be careful what you wish for! Lack of freezing conditions means loads of Midgies survive hibernation into next year and, if coupled with a mild spring, we will all be fodder for the little buggers sooner rather than later.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

africajim wrote:In all honesty JB mate, it's just a runabout, would make a nice café racer with a set of ace bars, rear sets, nose fairing, tyres and most importantly, decent suspension!
The seat and tank range isn't in the adventure style bracket, just over 100 miles to the petrol light, the seat's a bit of a plank, and it's a small bike, a bit cramped, even for me at 5'9".
But,,,,
I think it's a nice little bike oozing with character, I like it's road manners up to 80ish! Suspension on a par with a cheap mountainbike lets it down over that! It's nice and small for wheeling about and it really looks good! I enjoy it for what it is, a retro twin. You would really need to try one!
Thanks (thumbs)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

sprintster wrote:Aye Jim,if only we could guarantee the weather! I'm going to Paisley tomorrow,I'd rather be taking the bike but there could be 6" of snow when I come home next week! :unsure:
Oh well,the car made the decision for me! I had to call out breakdown 25 miles from home with vibrating steering and get recovered to my local garage and then go home and take the bike.A sh#t journey of howling gales,rain and then dark....I now remember why I gave up with winter biking! :pinch: At least I managed to to give the bike a quick hose down before I left it to soak in salt for a week!
I still managed to be the person on the road who seemed best at "making progress" which made it a bit more bearable. :)
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

I need snow over on the west on Nevis for the 2nd week of Feb, as I'm getting married and going snowboarding, so would be great to have another snow report in Feb 2016 (thumbs)

si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”