Norway Trip June 2014- 2016 just completed

Where you've been and what you done
wwdph02

Norway Trip June 2014- 2016 just completed

Post by wwdph02 »

Tried for three days and still cannot restore the old photos, all lost with photobucket and every attempt to reload I can only add one pic, next attempt loaded two new and deletes the first. Maybe now the whole thread can be deleted?

People were amazing, helpful and everyone spoke English (no need to shout then!)plus the scenery was even better than I hoped.

P1000886.JPG
P1000886.JPG (54.64 KiB) Viewed 1853 times

This may look like 'wild camping' but behind me was a shower block, washer dryer, toilets etc and down near the entrance was a shop. Just need mosquito midges protection first thing mornings and last thing at night.
30 miles in to Norway from Kristiansand high speed ferry - Tomtom assist to Evje-kilefjorden camping, nice site, clean tidy and very helpful.
http://www.kilefjorden.com/?lang=en
I think the comment last night when I arrived just before 10pm was put your tent up anywhere green and pay me in the morning, fantastic first contact and the whole trip was just as relaxed.

P1000901

P1000900

Had to stop here on way to Odda waterfall, crash in tunnel so waited for one-way system to be set-up to drive over part of mountain following a lead van. Cannot believe the lorries also followed this old road.

P1000917

P1000910

Another wild camp, next to reception and shop, with shower block up the field. Owner did ensure me the waterfall was shut off at night(ongoing joke for tourists?) but I think they forgot the night I stayed. Still managed to sleep despite the noise and glad I stayed here. Check ODDA on youtube.

P1000945

Clean shower, toilet and washing machine rooms, 200yds from main road, great views in the morning. Good place to stay, looking out over the water, heading north from Odda. Owner of site very friendly, asked if I new Braintree in England as the wife of their friend was from there. Explained my first school was in the centre of town and was the area both my parents and grandparents originated from.
I have just returned 2016 and obtained details for this site but it is still as welcoming as I remember, lovely hosts and very helpful. Advised as I left to take the 'wrong way' to Stryn, clockwise round the fjord, take 5min ferry and the new panorama highway.
Two things, host undersold how good the route is, better than the Atlantic coast 12 miles at 25. more elevation changes and stunning views. Also note when leaving the ferry, do not look for a road to the right "40 metres from ramp" I would say it was closer to 4. If you go to 2nd gear you have missed the little turning.
Stay with

Gåsemyr Camping Lodging

Address: Gloppen, 6826, Norway

Phone:+47 478 18 520

P1000942

Another view of the site, stayed in the chalet on the left as it was a colder night so left tent unpacked. Owners large caravan hidden behind their awning, hills behind, and water to my right. Advised by locals to go to Stryn, via Forde as you travel along on side of fjord and back around the other side, local was a bike owner and thought I would enjoy the route, he was correct. Garage within a mile, fueled up ready for another day enjoying the area.

P1000948

P1000949_

Within 5 miles of the chalet, up over the top and back down to water behind me, all good road again. Quiet road again, just a few motorbikes and motorhomes among the local traffic.

P1000953

Same hill top views from another angle. I stopped for fuel today and started lining up food, milk & water etc but was then advised " put this back if you want so much, there is a supermarket 1 mile down the road" Friendly help everywhere although I am not sure the owners would have approved..

P1000954

P1000955

Despite rain it was a great day, traveled anticlockwise, going to right in picture, all the way to the cruise ship in the distance and past towards Gerainger.

P1000958

P1000959

Stopped on the hillside, that is snow and ice in the picture, although it looks like only flowing water.

P1000957

P1000960

The Gerainger I came to visit but behind me, this time, had been snow, fog, wind, biblical rain and cold but unlike uk I never felt the next corner would have ice, very strange but had I seen weather like this across Dartmoor the bike would probably have been in a ditch.

P1000964

Only did around 100 miles and gave up around 2PM. This day was harder than the 705 miles I did from Slagelse, Denmark back to Calais from 8am to 8pm.

P1000962

View above Gerainger and I think my route was behind one of those hills towards Stryn, never saw another bike until I stopped and booked a chalet later. Kept hoping it would improve or one of the tunnels would take me from one climate to another but it never happened.

P1000971

I do wish I had read MSL you can see on the table before I left England, thought I could read about Norway when I was there. Warned about despite being June to make sure you take adequate warm clothing as your go further north. Too late, my linings for coat and leggings were at home so I will leave the arctic circle to visit next time.

P1000976

P1000972

Near Gerainger where I abandoned for the day, again good site, they let me have a chalet and unpack the R1200r and start drying my gear before taking any money. 2 chalets away was a bmw G650 single sertau but never saw it move until the next morning when it left before me.
I do have picture of bungee cords across the chalet drying coat, legging and gloves (heated grips a godsend) but we've all seen wet gear drying so did not bother downloading. Chalet heater and 2 ring cooker did their job, all kit dry next day.

P1000980

P1000982

P1000983

Next morning, within 5 miles I was catching this Eidsal ferry on way to the Atlantic coast highway. Again good help from a coach driver waiting for the ferry, told me to ignore the map at top of the hill, turn left not right when directed, different route, 2 £5 ferries but better for me and not the way the coaches have to go.

P1000993
Redmurty

Re: Norway Trip June 2014

Post by Redmurty »

I think that answers the question "can you tour on a naked" (thumbs)

What was your route for future reference please :)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Birdie

Post by Birdie »

(thumbs) (thumbs) looking forward to the trip report
DaleC

Post by DaleC »

Opening sentence = brilliant! (thumbs)

Thanks for posting, looking forward to more of your trip. :)
Keyboard Adventurer! :D
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

Yep great little report, will be going next year so need contacts for campsites etc a possible nice places to look at. Loving it mate. What were the night temps liek and how far North did you go.

si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Glad you loved it. More photo's and write up please.........respect!

Is that the R1200R you toured on..? What did you think of it for touring can I ask please..? I've always liked them style/design wise.

Regards;
Pete
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

We spotted this well loaded R1150R Beemer in Dubrovnik , Croatia last year, I've always loved the R1150R shape. Who says you can't tour on a naked bike.......!!!

Globe traveller by Peter McCullough Photography, on Flickr
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
XF650

Post by XF650 »

Brilliant! Norway definitely on my hit list so very much looking forward to your experiences! (thumbs)
Heff

Post by Heff »

Been there, done that.....Love to get back again :whistle:

Sooner rather than later. Here's hoping (thumbs)

Heres a few photos

The Arctic Circle
DSC02251.JPG
DSC02251.JPG (44.96 KiB) Viewed 1853 times

A campsite somewhere in Norway
DSC02222.JPG
DSC02222.JPG (53.05 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
wwdph02

Post by wwdph02 »

I noticed a few questions and hope most have been answered. I, like most people it seems, took too much gear and not enough - Did have motorcycle sport and leisure magazine as adventure bike mag had been read already - rather funny drying out my gear and eating my meal to read a report from their publication - he, unlike me had been further north, arctic circle and bemoaned the cold despite wearing everything he could. I was colder in the tent than I expected but totally my fault, wrong type of sleeping bag. Did not realise the effect of the cocoon bag, with a headcover would have on me, it was too narrow below the knee, restricting movement and gave me cramps. Ended up using it unzipped, as you do to wash it, and used extra jumpers for heat. Should really have had a dummy run to a nice warm Devon campsite 2 miles from my home first. Probably not the smartest thing in the world, first campsite was in Germany, north of Hamburg, and second time was Norway. Never camped alone before and last time was a lads weekend in Le mans for 24hr race inside a marquee. Prior to that was nearly 40 years ago, wife and I on our XS1100E, eurocampsite in St Tropez.
If, at 60 I can do it anyone can, carry less, food and lodgings are easy to sort as you go and enjoy.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”