Norway Trip June 2014- 2016 just completed

Where you've been and what you done
wwdph02

Re: Norway Trip June 2014- the return 2016

Post by wwdph02 »

Now planning to take my R1200RS on the same trip but different locations and will get to the arctic centre this time http://www.polarsirkelsenteret.no/English/senteret.htm
May even go as far as Nordkapp centre http://www.nordkapp.no/en/
Anyone planning a trip - have a look at the multiple camera locations that show how much snow will have to go before we get access to their great roads http://www.kamerakartet.no/
http://www.visitnorway.com/ sites give the option to order free guides and maps that are posted to uk addresses.
Now have a minimum 3 week window available starting the last week of June after the Le mans 24hrs race and will possibly take more as I missed so much last time.
YouTube getting plenty of work these last few weeks as I add more general locations to see.
No plans as such as I will mix camping and their cabins as places to stay.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Now my sidecar has arrived it's time for me to book a ferry ticket for the end of February (thumbs)

I'm not over ambitious, just a gentle ride up through Germany, Denmark, Sweden then into Norway for a weekend and off home again.
wwdph02

Post by wwdph02 »

Not sure I could convince my better half to get a Ural but it is probably the safest in the conditions to have a bit more stability.
Just a pity we in uk cannot get a driven sidecar wheel yet although the water cooled R series BM's now have the drive on the left so it could be fitted with a drive outlet to the correct side for us.
http://www.sbwmotorrad-bmw.com/ have a unit that looks the best available.
http://www.ural.cc/index.php?en_index cannot sell Ural with the 'wrong side' sidecars for registration so either buy and older model or register in Europe?
YouTube shots in snow, woodland etc looks like a good day out.
scubabiker

Post by scubabiker »

give me a shout, i live near bergen and am always up for a trip. i plan on going to the krystal rally this year on my new supercub.
wwdph02

Post by wwdph02 »

Just got back this morning, over 5000 miles in two weeks, all new sites visited and some old one's. Returned to campsite and now added correct site details to original entry. Found the trip even better than 2014, memorial to 'telemark heroes/saboteurs programmes and the loss of Norwegian lives in ww2. Allowed to ride my bike and park at the memorial stone for a photo. To say the valley was larger than I thought is an understatement.
The new Panorama road to Stryn is better than the atlantic coast road and once it gets more marketing I think will be more popular, to see a satnav state "turn in 41km" and then follow the line of a fjord but up high and back down, with a picnic table ready, at height, beside the tunnel is tourist planning at it's best.
2 weeks and maybe 4 hours rain in daytime and one overnight made it near perfect.(Until last day home - rains from Germany to Kent)
Everyone will tell you how expensive everything is but as far as fuel, yes it is dearer than uk but because of so many80/70/60/50 kph limits and not wanting the severe fines for speeding in town my trips in an R1200RS returned 63 mpg over those 5000 miles. Within Norway my daily was over 70 (on a 1200?)rather than my usual 58/60 so cost per miles matches uk despite 20% higher charges.
scubabiker

Post by scubabiker »

nice to know about the fuel thing, i didnt think its so expensive here these days, shows you how bloody high it is in the uk.
i took a trip down to larvik yesterday to see a friend and took a little trip to stavern, a small town south of larvik, well worth a visit, very similar to fredrikstad with the old houses and summery feel.
how was the weather for your trip? its been bloody nice here in oslo the past 2 weeks
wwdph02

Re: Norway Trip June 2014- 2016 just completed

Post by wwdph02 »

Hi scudebiker,
have just added my trip details to your 'wheelchair; thread but yes all time in Norway 10 days of brilliant weather apart from small shower on way to Narvik (heavy overnight rain) but next day even the damp roads had a dry line ready for bikers. Great Norwegian reception again, Dave
wwdph02

Post by wwdph02 »

No idea what has happened or when but last part of my trip report has gone missing and all photos that were accessible are 'file not found'
Might as well delete the whole thread.
Paul_XRV750

Post by Paul_XRV750 »

If you uploaded the pic by using something like photobucket, changing a folder or file name on photobucket would have that effect. Would have been nice to have seen your pics - I rode to Nordkapp in 2015 but was very unlucky with the weather. Would have been nice to have seen what Norway looked like without a carpet of fog
boatman

Post by boatman »

Paul_XRV750 wrote:If you uploaded the pic by using something like photobucket, changing a folder or file name on photobucket would have that effect. Would have been nice to have seen your pics - I rode to Nordkapp in 2015 but was very unlucky with the weather. Would have been nice to have seen what Norway looked like without a carpet of fog
Could I ask ? What times of the year was your trip?

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”