Stella Run? Euro Ride? Honeymoon? – I’ll let you decide

Where you've been and what you done
Steve T

Stella Run? Euro Ride? Honeymoon? – I’ll let you decide

Post by Steve T »

Stella Run? Euro Ride? Honeymoon :kiss: ? – I’ll let you decide

Many, many months ago, back in 2012, Jim & Fiona mentioned that they were to be married (’bout time Mr Simpson ;) ) and that their honeymoon would be a ride through Europe, ending up at the Stella Alpina rally in Bardonnachia. “Sounds like a plan” I thought, and dully invited myself onto the trip, seeing as I’d not ridden in Europe since 2009, twas about time I got some euro miles under my wheels :evil: .

Well, the big day arrived on the 5th July 2013, and Jim & Fiona “did the deed” and plighted their worldly goods to one another (I think Jim gagged a bit on that part – Fiona just giggled). The ceremony was followed by a wonderful evening at the Glenfiddich distillery restaurant - check this thread for photo's . . .
http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... =60#243849

The 6th July was “prep” day for the bikes, some needing more prep then others :S :whistle: ;) !

The 7th was the “Get to the ferry” day.
070713ReadyforOff.jpg
070713ReadyforOff.jpg (213.3 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
Jim and Fiona were meeting Hudders at Newcastle, to sail to Amsterdam. I, being a tight-wad Welshman (and they call the Scots tight – Hah I say :P ) had voted with my wallet to sail from Hull to Rotterdam.
Our ride down to Englandshire was nice, taking the never scenic A9 from Aviemore down to Perth, then the dual carriageway to Edinburgh.

Here you see us gathered on the side of the A9 southbound carriageway, paying homage to the weather Gods – “Please stay sunny and dry for the next 2 weeks” we asked . . . . and low, it came to pass that it did.
A9southbound.jpg
A9southbound.jpg (68.21 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
The usual stop for fuel & food was taken at Tesco South Queensferry, then southwards onto the glorious A68. Jim & Fi headed towards Newcastle on the A697, whilst I carried on down the A68. Fantastic road, once you’ve escaped the speed camera traps north of the border. I’d not ridden this road for some 13 years, and had forgotten how nice it can be when the weathers on your side – which it was. The section through Kielder is especially nice, with light traffic and visible bends for mile after mile, you can’t help but smile inside yer lid as you role round bend after bend and launch yerself off crest after crest over the “humpy” bits. No mean feat on a fully loaded Africa Twin I can tell you, launching off of crests. The landing can take a while to master as well :woohoo: :whistle: !
Twas as I crested yet another “humpy” bit that I had to apply the brakes very hard, as I found my route blocked by a resting motorcycle in the middle of the road :S . It’s controller was lying in the gutter on the opposite side of the road, moaning but not moving much :( . His riding partner had stopped and parked her bike and was in the process of checking her man over by the time I’d parked & dis-mounted. Got the fellas bike up and off of the road once I’d satisfied myself that the casualty was in good hands and that trained help was on the way. Traffic control (slowing happy Sunday drivers / riders down before they added to the carnage) was set up – helps having a full length Hi-Viz top in situations like this! A talkative German cyclist came over after a short while and told me what he’d witnessed – gawping foreign tourist in hire car was “covering” more than his side of the road as he crested the hill, unfortunately making contact with the bike riders right leg / bike pannier and bringing about the mess I’d ridden into. Owwww :blink: :( .
After approx. 45 minutes the 1st responder arrived, blocking the road nicely with his 4x4. So, as the traffic didn’t need slowing down anymore, I sloped off, as I had a ferry to catch :dry: . The casualty was still able to moan, which I’m told is a good sign :pinch: !
The rest of the ride south was un-eventful, seeing me getting to Hull docks at the same time that the others would be sailing from Newcastle. Onto the floating hotel and parked at the back end of the bike queue, I got myself sorted and headed for my bunk for night. Earlier I said “sail from Hull to Rotterdam”. What I meant was “sleep from Hull to Rotterdam”, as I’m not blessed with sea legs, so suitable little white pills were consumed and sleep I did.
And that was my ferry crossing.

We had originally arranged to meet near Eindhoven once on euro soil, but as I docked an hour earlier than they did and they were about an hour further north than I was, we changed the RV to the Koblenz camp site. So, off the wobbling big metal bathtub and onto the autowotsits in Holland & Germany I head, with the confluence of the Rhine and Mosel rivers as my destination.
My stead at the campsite, cooling down in the shade whilst rider has a cuppa . . .
080713Koblenz.jpg
080713Koblenz.jpg (248.29 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
More to follow . . . . with shed loads of photo’s

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Treadtrader

Re: Stella Run? Euro Ride? Honeymoon? – I’ll let you decide

Post by Treadtrader »

I'm in, come on Steve. Image
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

My fellow travellers arrived some 2 hours after I’d set up camp, washed meself and my smalls and was having my second cuppa.
080713Camping.jpg
080713Camping.jpg (251.96 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
The camp site, as mentioned, was at the confluence of the Rhine and Mosel rivers, with a view across one to the castle and the other to De Eck . . . . .
080713DeiEck.jpg
080713DeiEck.jpg (236.51 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
It’s a big bit of water the Rhine, isn’t it? Having lived in Germany, near Monchengladbach, for 3.5 yrs, I’d done some travelling with the family, but the size of the Rhine brought back to me how small the island we live on actually is. No way could this size of water be collected within the confines of GB, unless it ran from the north of the country to the south!
090713Koblenz.jpg
090713Koblenz.jpg (26.21 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
Seeing as it was our first evening as a group, we dined locally in the camp sites restaurant.
Normal operating procedures have been resumed . . . .
080713situationnormal.jpg
080713situationnormal.jpg (235.57 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
After gromphh and swally we took a wander along the river bank, finding Hudders German residence in the process . . . . .
080713SimonWholivesinahouselikethis.jpg
080713SimonWholivesinahouselikethis.jpg (80.01 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
The Rhine again, with a fugging HUGE boat making headway against the mighty current . . . .
090713BigBoat.jpg
090713BigBoat.jpg (48.52 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
Enough for the night – more tomorrow, once my two typing fingers have healed

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

africajim

Post by africajim »

Look forward to the memories Steve mate, I sent a copy of mine to Emily to see if they wanted it for the ABR magazine but I've not heard back if they're going to use it :unsure:

I'll read yours with interest, bound to be some great pics! Enjoyin the story so far!
Honda, the power of dreams.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Steve,

Enjoying the photos and your writing style plus bringing back some of my old memories of travels past.

Looking forward to next instalment.

Cheers,

Paul :)
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Thanks for posting Steve. Looking forward to more.
wianbiggar

Post by wianbiggar »

Come on Steve - hurry up......this is good stuff!
Ian
CBSTD

Post by CBSTD »

You actually washed your shrediee's, not turn them back to front :ohmy: :unsure:
Me karma ranover me dogma
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

CBSTD wrote:You actually washed your shrediee's, not turn them back to front :ohmy: :unsure:
You ever tried wearing a thong back to front?????

No, believe me, washing them was the way to go ;)

Thanks for following this drivel - more is on the way :whistle:

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Enjoying your report steve .

Cheers for posting

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”