Aberdeenshire shake down run July 13

Where you've been and what you done
africajim

Aberdeenshire shake down run July 13

Post by africajim »

I went for a run today to bed in the new discs and pads fitted to the Crosstourer. As the weather was forecast nice am, rain later pm I decided to get going after my housework at 10.00.
I thought a nice run to Tomintoul and back would be suffice but once up there I saw the road for Strathdon, and as it was a nice day, why the hell not? I went through the lecht and took a detour to the weather station and webcam point which looks down on the ski centre.

AbovetheLechtskicentre.jpg
AbovetheLechtskicentre.jpg (171.63 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
It was chilly in the wind but dry so I continued down past Corgarf and into Strathdon. When I came to the junction for Ballater I just couldn't resist! Over the bridge at Gairnshiel and down into Ballater where I fuelled up. I proceeded over the river Dee on to south Deeside and headed towards Aberdeen. Of course, the turn off for Cairn a mount came up, well, be impolite not to! Up to the cairn itself!

Cairnamount.jpg
Cairnamount.jpg (152.27 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
So, where next? Well, over the Clatterin Brig and head for Stonehaven on the East coast? That's not far from my mate Craig's place! A visit is required! Need coffee any way! A nice hour spent blethering to Craig and Jen, good to see you both.
Onwards round the coast from Craig's to the Torry battery.

AberdeencityScotland.jpg
AberdeencityScotland.jpg (180.13 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
I don't get to Aberdeen as much as I used to, or "Eberdeen" as the locals call it in Doric, and after 20 odd yrs working there I have a soft spot for "the Toon". I sat on the grass at the Torry Battery, looking across the harbour into town watching a brilliant display of bottle nosed dolphins summersalting out of the water chasing salmon at the harbour mouth! Ower the Torry brig and along riverside past Duthie park, up into town, Holburn St, down Union St to the Castle gate, ("there's many a bonny Jean on the streets o' Eberdeen" so the song says! I can only agree, although their arses are getting bigger! Tee hee!) Down King St, over the Parkway, out via Great Northern Rd, it was so great to see the City, I know that statement might seem odd to city dwellers, but three cars are a traffic jam here in Elgin!
Home via Alford, Rhynie over the Cabrach to Dufftown, 240 miles, brakes well bedded in, tyres scrubbed,,,, well,,,, the wear on the new rear Anakee 2 is quite harsh! Hope you enjoy the pics and write up coz damn I enjoyed the ride!
Honda, the power of dreams.
desertraider

Re: Aberdeenshire shake down run July 13

Post by desertraider »

ooohhh I remember when I was stationed up in Aberdeen mmmm butteries
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Nice to have a chat and coffee today , Jim

Your bike is looking great , what a beast ..... :blink:

And glad you had a nice drive back up the road .

Cheers LWR
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Some good ideas there for a run out with my wife today as we run in our new bike. :)
africajim

Post by africajim »

A lot of chips on the roads just now, the Cabrach was especially bad yesterday. Have a good run though, the weather looks good so far.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Yes there's a lot of roads where the technique seems to be throw some tar down and a few barrow loads of chippings down :angry: makes for some interesting moments if the observation skills aren't at 101%

The dolphins had plenty of excited observers this afternoon, the wife was really happy at seeing them, as I was. And the Clatterin Brig tea room was another great stop.
africajim

Post by africajim »

Glad my info inspired mate, aye, patchwork? Mask the kerbs, spray bitumen and throw down chips, tramp in with boots, lift masking! Sorted, don't worry about the odd bike.
There were quite a few observers up at the Torry Battery when I was there yesterday. Glad you had a good day!
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

If I lived where you live Jim, I'd wear a bike out a week :)

One day, I'll be able to persuade the wife to sell up and head north, until then I'll content myself with the occasional cross border raid.
Turned out nice again

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”