A loop of north wales

Where you've been and what you done
prooney377

A loop of north wales

Post by prooney377 »

When I woke up on Sunday the weather was forecast for light cloud but no rain. As it turned out, even though I woke early to make the most of the day it was drizzly, and that fine drizzle that gets you wet through :( . Anyway, as I was up I thought f**k it I'll go out anyway. No sooner had I made the decision than the sun did in deed come out. No particular plan but my internal compass seemed to be drawing me to North Wales. The only loose plan was to steer clear of the motorways. Heading from Skem I crossed the Runcorn Bridge
Bridge2.jpg
Bridge2.jpg (22.67 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
Bridge_2012-09-03.jpg
Bridge_2012-09-03.jpg (55.55 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
Then headed on past Frodsham, Chester, Wrexham and Ruthin before ending up at Betws Y Coed for a nice coffee and a read of the round up of last weekends sport in the MCN.
BetwsYCoed.jpg
BetwsYCoed.jpg (33.82 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
After me brew I headed along the A5 through Snowdonia NP north towards Conwy. (I know there is a better route but I wanted to ride through the park). I happened upon a nice photo opportunity along the way.
Lake.jpg
Lake.jpg (25.35 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
Lake2.jpg
Lake2.jpg (40.87 KiB) Viewed 1647 times

Onwards and upwards to Conwy and another photo opportunity or two in front of the castle.
IMG_2089.jpg
IMG_2089.jpg (98.49 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_2099.JPG
IMG_2099.JPG (44.73 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
Unfortunately by this time it was time for me to head home. Been a while since I have done North Wales but weather permitting I'll be heading back soon.

Made a short video of the day too, hope you enjoy

Why? Why not?
LargeWayRound

Re: A loop of north wales

Post by LargeWayRound »

Excellent report , and very good video , Thanks for posting .

LWR
magnum pi

Post by magnum pi »

great vid and pics! .Whats your honest opinion of the ktm990smt what kind of mpg do you get and whats it like for all day riding. cheers
prooney377

Post by prooney377 »

magnum pi wrote:great vid and pics! .Whats your honest opinion of the ktm990smt what kind of mpg do you get and whats it like for all day riding. cheers
Thanks for the comments.

I may sound a bit biased but I can honestly see no other bike that I fancy over the SMt. It has the same engine as the Adventure but is a little bit different and quirky. You don't see too many of them about. Fuel wise a full tank (19 litres) on the back roads will get me 150 miles before the fuel light comes on. At this point there are two litres left in the tank. Taking it easy on the motorway It'll get past 180 before the light comes on meaning over 200 miles is possible. Comfort wise I do a round trip of 500 miles at least once a month to see my daughter down south and the seat becomes a bit hard for the last hour or so. The gel seat is reasonably priced but I have never tried it. The hand guards make a difference in the cold and I have also fitted heated grips.

Of course it's not all good news. I recommend getting the taller screen for long miles as wind noise from the smaller one gets a bit much. The only other mod I felt needed doing was that I changed the engine bolts for stainless ones as some of the originals were starting to rust after a winter of using it.

Hope this helps

Pete
Why? Why not?
Road2Manchester

Post by Road2Manchester »

Great quality vid, GOPRO I guess, pray tell... :silly:
cam to gif

If you ride like the wind, expect to get blown away. One lifetime is all we get use it wisely this ain;t no practise.
prooney377

Post by prooney377 »

Road2Manchester wrote:Great quality vid, GOPRO I guess, pray tell... :silly:
Afraid not, Drift HD. I like the small LCD screen for setting up and the fact that is is small enough to be inconspicuous when you leave it on the side of the road to do a ride by. This was shot in 720p at 60fps (good for times when you want to do slow motion) but you can up that to 1080p at 30fps in the settings menu.
Why? Why not?
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Nice pics nice bike nice vid. Thanks
magnum pi

Post by magnum pi »

Thanks for your opinion on the smt i think its going to be my next bike
prooney377

Post by prooney377 »

magnum pi wrote:Thanks for your opinion on the smt i think its going to be my next bike
Great choice and I don't think you will be sorry.
Why? Why not?
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Enjoyed that Prooney,thanks :)
One of my favourite bands too.
Looking for a new helmet cam, that has jumped up the list :)
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”