A Jurassic day out... Poole and beyond.

Where you've been and what you done
Tyrant68

A Jurassic day out... Poole and beyond.

Post by Tyrant68 »

What started as a two day trip to visit Dorsets beautiful coastline was soon put on hold when looking at the met offices charts.
Suffering from cabin fever after a house move last weekend and the biblical rain and wind that followed, the promise of sun on Saturday had me prepping the 640 late Friday for our first high mileage outing.
Rolling out the garage at 7am I headed over to Oxford, bearing in mind I have hardly ridden on major roads before this was a whole new experience.
A43/M40/A34... owned B) Cruising at a steady 70 the vibe machine seemed less vibey B)
Stopped before Salisbury at the Hilltop Cafe at Firsdown for breakfast. Highly recommend it for staff service and food quality, half a dozen other bikers there agreed as well!
Going through Salisbury I chanced upon the cathedral. I wasn't sure if it was on the grail list or not so I asked the old boy on the gate if I could take a photo in the grounds.
He became quite animated and asked if I was on the ABR quest as he had had a few through in the last couple of weeks. :laugh:

So after the photos I pressed on to Poole, nicely negotiating the traffic queues around the roadworks on the A31 :whistle: You can filter on the verge on the inside can't you :whistle:
Rode down to Poole quay where I parked up and texted fellow ABR Jim Lovell, a Poole local for a meet up.

Whilst waiting I had a walk along the quay looking at what the euromillions would buy me.

Poole Harbour/Quay

Jim arrived and we settled outside the Custom House pub for a natter and a drink .
After a short while a couple pulled up on a scooter laiden with luggage.
Lilly and Alan were a french couple who had come over to the UK to dogsit for a friend :woohoo:
After an hour chatting we bid goodbye to this lovely couple and headed off for a tour of Dorsets finest sights.
We took the Shore road over to the chain ferry at Sandbanks. The bay is stunning and was awesome to see so many kite/windsurfers out enjoying the sun and the breeze :)
The properties along the road to the ferry are something else and the real estate boasts to be one of the highest in the UK.
Aboard the ferry

Mr Lovell I presume ... :P

Something a bit bigger than us!

More to follow...
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
Tyrant68

Re: A Jurassic day out...

Post by Tyrant68 »

Landing on the other side we set off along the ferry road toward Studland. Anyone who has ridden down this long straight road would be fooled into believing you could be in Spain. The sand and the shrubbery with the sun out gave an entirely continental feel.
We headed along the lovely twisty Swannage road but stopped on the headland looking out over Poole and the bay, really does take your breath away .

Next stop was Corfe Castle, yet another beautiful location.
The lady in the NT ticket office let me run for a few photos without paying, whilst Jim watched the bikes.

We left Cofe and made the dash over to Tyneham village before they closed it for the day.
For anyone who doesnt know Tyneham is a deserted village based on the Lulworth army ranges.
The villagers were ordered out of their homes in 1943 and told not to return.
On leaving they left a note on the door of the church

[center]'Please treat the church and houses with care; we have given up our homes where many of us lived for generations to help win the war to keep men free. We shall return one day and thank you for treating the village kindly.'[/center]

I wouldn't say it was eery just an 'odd' feeling

Jim doing his best to look stern ! :laugh:

Part 3 to follow...

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Leaving Tyneham we both agreed about hunger pangs so over the ranges we headed to Lulworth Cove.
It was hard not to stop on the ranges, such a fun offroad playground :woohoo:
Parked up and walked down to the cove, Gorgeous spot and one I'll be returning too.

Chips, tea and cake were consumed and it was decided the time was getting on and I had a good 130 mile ride back so Jim led me back to the Wimbourne road which would take me back to Salisbury for one last stop.
Farewells done and once again on our own we headed off.
Now I managed to get through Salisbury without seeing a petrol station and lo and behold just at the 'Welcome to Salisbury' sign I ran out of fuel :blush:
AA rung, I shook her around a bit and she fired up. Spoke to Blag who assured me there should still be 3 litres I waited for my knight in yellow armour :laugh:
This is the third time the AA has been out to the 640 :laugh:
The fuel sender plug is hanging down, think its high time to plug it in when I find out where. Also £15 doesn't equal 15 L :blush: Did 234 miles though :laugh:
After refilling his petrol can we headed off to Amesbury for Stonehenge.
The fuel debacle must of been karma as I arrived at the ancient monument just as the sun began to set, what a spectacle.
I'm not sure what to believe about the circle and its power but I had the same feeling of calm as I had when standing by the Sanctuary circle at Castle Rigg

Well it would of been rude not to let the 640 do at least one byway.

back on the A303 I was treated to the most incredible sunset that lit the Wiltshire hills in reds and pinks. The rear view in my wingmirrors was something else.
I eventually stopped on the A34 just before newbury for a much needed drink and rest as I was beginning to ache and the vibe in the throttle hand was leaving the hand with a dead feeling.
Mounted in the dark for the last push of 70 miles and I can say they were some of the hardest I have done.
Once again A34/M40/A43, I really had no nerves I just pressed on.
Arrived home at 23.30 , put the 640 to bed and straight to mine!
343 miles on a KTM saddle!
343 miles of awesome views, roads and company.
Thanks Jim for the tour and thanks T&T for letting him out to play!
Hopefully be returning for Poole Bike night beginning of July.
Until then... B)

Bianchi

Post by Bianchi »

I think you should get a job with ABR as your write ups are to good for just
The forum well done thanks for sharing

Cheers

Dave
felco

Post by felco »

great write up and pictures! what a day! am tired just lookin an readin, bloody great lass.
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

Removed.
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Thanks Bianchi but I don't think I'm going far enough for ABR :laugh:

Felco B)
Sprockette, thanks. Love her to bits... and welcome back :)

AckAckFlack

Post by AckAckFlack »

Cracking write up - so good i would have let you have my very last Rolo :-)

I thought there was a time when that 640 would have been found in a shallow grave and she still likes to throw a spanner in the travel works - but you are gelling quite nicely - come to think of it you both have the same temprement ..... Coat , keys and running ;-)
BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it :-)

The journey aimed to challenge the perception of blindness…

Usually People call me Sir... closely followed by 'You are making a scene!'
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

Nice write up and pics An. Good that you got to see some of Dorsets highlights and Jim of course.
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

AckAckFlack wrote:Cracking write up - so good i would have let you have my very last Rolo :-)

I thought there was a time when that 640 would have been found in a shallow grave and she still likes to throw a spanner in the travel works - but you are gelling quite nicely - come to think of it you both have the same temprement ..... Coat , keys and running ;-)
:evil: :evil: revenge...

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”