First Venture Off of the Black Stuff

Where you've been and what you done
mrdelmonti

First Venture Off of the Black Stuff

Post by mrdelmonti »

Well yesterday I had most of the day free so I thought I might as well give green laning a bit of a go, I used to do it in my Landy and loved it so why not.

I headed over to Bucknell Woods near Silverstone and my first thought was "bugger, maybe road tyres aren't the best idea" but I persevered for a bit until I thought it would be irresponsible to carry on by myself, at which point I turned around. It was then that I had a negative experience, I saw some bobble hatters coming my way so stopped and pulled to the side to let them by, only to receive torrents of abuse.

Never mind, not worth getting worked up about a bunch of misinformed people.

Bit gutted I didn't take any other photos but I was having too much fun.

Cheers for looking.
AndyB

Re: First Venture Off of the Black Stuff

Post by AndyB »

If you've pulled over for rambliars to go past and they still give you abuse then just roost the hell out of them as you pull away. I'm sorry but if you've made an effort and all they can do is be abusive it's the least they deserve.

Any code of behaviour has to be a two way thing and if they want to have a go then give it back and sod the consequences.
mrdelmonti

Post by mrdelmonti »

True, but I figured it just wasn't worth the hassle, all I said in response was that it was perfectly legal and within my rights to be there, if I'd have said anymore or done anything else I'm sure all that would have is I'd have got more riled up and annoyed while they wouldn't change their attitude one bit.
AckAckFlack

Post by AckAckFlack »

Don't let it put you off. You did everything correctly and acted fine.

So long as you know it's legal then it's fine.
Hope you get the bug
BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it :-)

The journey aimed to challenge the perception of blindness…

Usually People call me Sir... closely followed by 'You are making a scene!'
mrdelmonti

Post by mrdelmonti »

I've got the bug alright, just think I need a more appropriate bike and tyres!
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Depends where you were in Bucknell woods. The byway starts from the gateway near the carpark and goes straight and over a cross roads and into a copse still on the same straight. You then get to a double gate where you can legally go left or right heading up to syresham or down to wappenham.
If you deviated off this then you need a slap :P HTH
regraded to look like the m1 :evil:

"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
mrdelmonti

Post by mrdelmonti »

I started at Silverstone farm end and only really got as far as the cross roads before deciding to turn back, don't worry I did my homework beforehand :P
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Judging by the sign in one of Tyrant's photo's there is a TRO for four wheeled vehicles here, which may explain why the bobblies got irate, they might have assumed it meant no vehicles at all.

But then again they were most probably just the usual uninformed bobblies :laugh:

And AndyB no you don't roost them for being ignorant, then they'll just have another "nasty, horrible biker destroying a footpath(sic) story" to spread around.

Always better to be polite and maintain the moral high ground, there's no point sinking to their level. I always find that the most rabid anti finds it difficult to rant at you if you keep smiling at them and being nice, If I suspect a rant about to start, I usually get in quick with a "are you having a lovely walk" it can really put them off guard when you are nice to them... works for me anyway. ;)
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
Bonniebird

Post by Bonniebird »

Good on ya for getting out there MrDelmonti, enjoy yourself B)
mrdelmonti

Post by mrdelmonti »

Well I've been at it again, went down a very short lane near Hinton Airfield.

Here was the first obstacle.

Might not look too bad for you seasoned riders but for me it was like ice :laugh:

But I cleared that with no issues only to slide out of a rut and bottom out a little further along which lead to a lot of foot sliding trying to not fall over :whistle:

I'm enjoying it but think I should probably stop until I have a more suitable bike, don't want to go damaging this one due to slippy road tyres and lack of ground clearance/bash plate.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”