Finding a hotel

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
fatowl

Finding a hotel

Post by fatowl »

I'm planning a trip around Scotland this summer, using hotels/B&Bs. Is it best to book them all well in advance, or will it be OK to just expect to get one on the day, as I go along? I'm don't really want to book too far in advance, with Scottish weather being as it is - with my luck I'll book for a week with pi$$ing rain!
What do people use to find a hotel? What is your success rate (hopefully 100%) ?
TIA.
Flintlock

Re: Finding a hotel

Post by Flintlock »

Going to assume you have to go in the summer otherwise I would advise you to go out of season - so May or September - then it would not be a problem - that said over the last few years I've noticed that even out of season Scotland is becoming more popular - lots more retired folk with money to spend I guess. However, we have always managed to get something at the last minute in our previous trips.

Trying to get accommodation at last minute could be difficult in season tho.

Another alternative pack a tent, sleeping bag & mat as back up so you would not be under as much pressure?

Being under pressure us something you def don't need on a holiday
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Booking.com, book the day before based on weather forecast and take a tent+sleeping bag just incase.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Plus 1 for using Booking.com a day in advance. It usually works out OK, even if you have to ride a slightly longer or shorter day.
Taking a tent and associated kit should ensure that Booking will always come up trumps :lol:
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I usually book ahead for the 10 days when we go for the pre65 club in late April, been going for 30yrs+, but this year I’ve only booked for the trial weekend then see what the weather does if nice I’ll leave Kinlochleven going north & book something using Booking.com, if crap it’ll be home to Lancashire some of the prices this year are eye watering!
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

Thanks for the relies - pretty much what I was thinking. I want to travel light, though, so really don't want to take a tent. Even with minimal kit, it's a load of stuff, and also I'm getting too old for roughing it.
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

I've used booking.com and Airbnb for same day booking (With Airbnb I once got a really nice place by lake Como for 3 days, with garage, that I used as a base for day trips. Booked it in the morning in shitty weather in France, chose it based on the weather forecast. Was there in time for awesome dinner, and next day visited the MotoGuzzi museum 500 meters away). I've also just stopped at a nice looking hotels and guesthouses and asked for room. If they're full they can usually guide you to nearby place.
Google maps will also show you nearby guesthouses, and give you links to book them.
It's best to start searching for places before 3-4 o'clock.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
jonesthesteam

Post by jonesthesteam »

A view from someone who owns a b and b, if you get stuck still phone around, we don't accept bookings via booking.com within 24hrs (saves dealing with the drunks who decide to stay the night somewhere at the last minute) it doesn't mean we don't have a room, just that I would "vet" them first over the phone, also we don't put all our rooms on b.com, so again will often have space for direct bookings which saves us the 15% commission we pay booking.com, good luck
Jonesy
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

If you're going to do the NC 500 then booking ahead is almost a necessity.

The less touristy then the less need for booking ahead.

PS - don' forget the midge spray and headnet.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Oop North John wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:07 pm If you're going to do the NC 500 then booking ahead is almost a necessity.

The less touristy then the less need for booking ahead.

PS - don' forget the midge spray and headnet.
We broke it down into 2 separate regions rather than sticking to just the route, then we got 2 different airb&b/booking.com lodges and rode out in clover leaf patterns without luggage. The roads across the 'middle' were deserted and no less enjoyable than the nc500 itself.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “TRAVEL”