Norway Tips

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Bart1

Norway Tips

Post by Bart1 »

I'm planning on going to Norway mid May for 3 weeks doing camping and cabins etc. Any tips on do's and don'ts and what to see would be much appreciated.
I currently know speed limits are low, fines are high, weather can be iffy, it's expensive but great scenery.....

Cheers
minkyhead

Re: Norway Tips

Post by minkyhead »

geringer fjord ..take a boat trip too ..josterlbreen glacier .. trolllstigen highway is a must imho ...tunnels are very dark not well lit locals recomended closing one eye 30 seconds before entering you can become near blind for few moments ..they tend to be wet too take acare and slow dow a lot before entering they are not adverse to throwing in a wet bend as it goes dark
.. fab place truly spectacular ... adlantic hihway alasund is different if you have time but if your pushed for time stay in the central fjords area its brilliant ..if you like shot of sprits buy on the boat and sneak a few on balcony youll save a fortune they are not easily bought at supermarkets just gove premises which are few ..bank on 40 quid for a half bottle of aussie wine so get what you can on the boat

..pity newcastle bergan sailing is no more . i went three time s from there and it was brilliant .......dont try too hard to big miles you will love to stop and soak it all in central fjords its hard to go wrong tuely a inspiring place to ride ...enjoy its ace 8-)

https://www.lifeinnorway.net/trollstigen-norway/

mrs minky recomends not to feed the animals :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Last edited by minkyhead on Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Bart1

Post by Bart1 »

Thanks for all that Minky, great vids too. Didn't know they had "weresheep".. :lol:

Re timing, I have the option of going later, is May bit early? Is a heated jacket a useful thing to pack?
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

hard to say mid summer is best but like scotland you need the weather gods with you ...even in june you can go through a green fjord landscape pop into a three mile tunnel and have twelve foot snow banks either side at 20 degrees it a bit nuts you can see in some shots im wearing just body armour in big snow drift roads but it permafrost its well over 20 degrees very strabge
...pleanty of layers as per scotland you should be fine if the worst happens .. i was blessed with the weather each time and like scotland if your lucky its just a dream place to ride ....as a aside you can sit on the balcony on june watch thesun dip down at 2am and then come back up at 230 .... you wont run out of daylight thats for sure
id aim for june july personally may in norway will be like may in scotland ..play the odds id think
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

I rode up to the NordKapp in June/July 2016, and was blessed with glorious weather, bar a couple of damp days. Was in the mid 20s up at the Kapp, clear sky, so needed sunglasses and sunscreen at midnight. I kid you not.
I camped all the up and back, and filled one pannier with food stuffs before setting off, as it is very expensive. A side trip to the Lofotens is a must, as is the Trollstigen.
Attachments
966703E1-1F57-481F-8EDF-96340D761671.jpeg
966703E1-1F57-481F-8EDF-96340D761671.jpeg (140.9 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
3F1035AB-5051-47F2-9192-46E2F55748D8.jpeg
3F1035AB-5051-47F2-9192-46E2F55748D8.jpeg (155.63 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
EDE69B3F-8D5F-41BC-A123-F2425AC9533E.jpeg
EDE69B3F-8D5F-41BC-A123-F2425AC9533E.jpeg (156.67 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
mawse

Post by mawse »

A collection of videos & trailer from May/June 2022

To see them all go to the playlist

https://www.youtube.com/@mawseonamotorbike/playlists

HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

If you fancy eating out it seems like just about everywhere has an Egon restaurant - https://www.egon.no/restauranter

https://www.egon.no/menyen

Eat as much as you want pizza & salad for 149kr each up to 6pm :)
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I can’t add much to what’s already been said but when you first fill up at the’Staatoil’ petrol station, purchase their mug and subsequent refills will be free - a welcome boost in a country that is both breathtakingly beautiful and breathtakingly expensive.

If you want to visit the most northerly point it isn’t Nord Kapp but a headland and beach a few K’s to the East ( I avoided Nord Kapp as it’s a tourist hot spot and my GPS puts Sletness/Mehamn as further North
Last edited by PaulinBont on Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

I live in Norway, west coast. Send me a PM with your email. I have also done the Southern part of the TET.
Depends what you want to see, Norway is massive, speed limits are low and you could easily get lost for 3 weeks
Just visiting 'must' see places. Then there are all the hidden gems that 'locals' know about :D
You'd also be welcome to stay at my place for a night if needed (near Stavanger).
If you are coming in May, make sure you plan a rest day near a town for the 17th, you won't regret it.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

PaulinBont wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:44 am I can’t add much to what’s already been said but when you first fill up at the’Staatoil’ petrol station, purchase their mug and subsequent refills will be free - a welcome boost in a country that is both breathtakingly beautiful and breathtakingly expensive.

If you want to visit the most northerly point it isn’t Nord Kapp but a headland and beach a few K’s to the East ( I avoided Nord Kapp as it’s a tourist hot spot and my GOS puts Sletness/Mehamn as further North
Statoil no longer exists, taken over by Cirkle K, but has the same offer.
You are correct about NK. It was the most convinient place to build the tourist attraction, but it isn't geographically the most N point, never mind
NK is on a peninsula. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “TRAVEL”