South America Advice Wanted

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
gbags

South America Advice Wanted

Post by gbags »

Hi All,

I know there are a few people here with South America experience.

The time to go to South America is obviously in their summer, ie our winter but I can’t do that.
I have a few months in June, July, August, maybe September and I’d like to go back to South America.
Does anyone have experience of those months in Colombia, Brazil, French Guiana, Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina? So rainy seasons, weather, bikeabilty?

I don’t really want access to some weather bureau’s graphs, more personal recollections and experiences.

I’ll have to stay east of the Andes as they’ll be largely impassable I think, so I’m expecting more jungles, savannah, pampas and grasslands but what will the weather and rods be like?

Many thanks,

Graham
OnHellas

Re: South America Advice Wanted

Post by OnHellas »

Hey Graham.

I don’t have any first hand experience although anything around the equator won’t be to bad I’d guess??
Paraguay seems to be OK in their winter, I’ll ask my Dad what it was like as he was born there. Mind you, he left in 1961 so…..

Are you planning on shipping a bike again?
If so, which bike?

Last of all, if you go, be sure to let us know and post about the trip. Photos too please.

Sorry that this post has given you nothing but more questions 🤭
gbags

Post by gbags »

Hi Hellas,

Thanks for the reply.

I’ll take the 1200 GSA again as I love it and it can go anywhere…except sand and I can’t do that two up, loaded on any bike.

And yes, I’ll ship it to either Buenos Aires or Rio and head uphill or Bogotá and head down.

The ride I really want to do is UK to Oz but with Iran, Russia and Myanmar all going up in flames, this probably isn’t the smartest time to go. Still, South America is wonderful so I just need to know if it’s wonderful in their winter.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Hi
My wife and I are in Ecuador at the moment.
Talking to the locals the weather in Columbia and Ecuador are pretty much the same all year round - you can certainly ride all year round as it’s warm/hot so you’ll soon dry off when you get wet and you will get wet, at some stage, all year round.

We talked to a guy who runs a very professional bike hire outfit in Ecuador and he has riders coming all year round.

Peru, I suspect is pretty much the same and, certainly Santiago is an all year round destination, any further south and you’ll be pushing your luck - we hope to reach the bottom of the Carratera Austral by the end of March which is just about cut off point.

Be aware of the political situations in Peru, Bolivia and, possibly, Ecuador after the upcoming elections.
Check before you ship.
Columbia is okay and well worth spending a couple of months in alone 👍
Barcelona Pat

Post by Barcelona Pat »

I agree, Columbia is amazing. I loved the mountains in Equador too.

I was in Argentina / Chile in March and April and it was uncomfortably cold by the end of that (riding with heated grips and jacket) until I got to around Esquel heading north - that Patagonian wind just eats through your gear, right to the bones. I don´t recall ever being quite so cold as the 2 weeks I was chased out of Patagonia by the onset of winter... http://patonabike.blogspot.com/2012/05/ ... efate.html

There are some good weather sites now that map trends by month and week by towns and regions, so you can see for yourself. But by June I would personally aviod all of Patagonia. The Chillean side won´t have so much wind, but it does have more rain, so in winter we know what happens to that.

As others have already noted, there is so much to see and do in South America, the top of Argentina (kind of from Mendoza) and Paraguay upwards is where I´d focus on. Even at end of April I had to wait a day in Mendoza for the pass to Chile to reopen due to weather, so crossing at that point could be tricky. ErikGustav2´s really interesting thread on here about his current travels in South America is also worth a look, particucularly regarding what life is like on the ground right now.

Hope that helps - and quite envious. There is so much to love about travel in South America, I want to go back!

Pat
gbags

Post by gbags »

Thanks fellas,

All good advice. It looks like probably start in Colombia and mooch down slowly south. We had to rush through Colombia last time but what I saw was great. I do want to check out the northern coast this time.

I’ll probably bear southeast into Brazil from there, then follow my nose. We never have firm plans or an itinerary.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Hi Graham,
Can't help with advice on those months you mention as we were there Nov - May. What I can say, without a doubt, is that I'm extremely envious😄😄!
And look forward to your travelogue, wherever your nose takes you!
We will return but not this year, possibly later next year over our winter. With the Africa Twin/Ural outfit, but with a CRF in place of the old XRV, which is due to retire soon from active service.
Maybe ask the question on HU, there's probably quite a few locals who can advise well on weather-related issues.
gbags

Post by gbags »

Thanks Mark,

I did post on UKGSers as well, as they are like minded people but HU is another option.

I’ll certainly post a ride report here when I go and probably UKGSer and HU.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

gbags wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:07 pm Thanks Mark,

I did post on UKGSers as well, as they are like minded people but HU is another option.

I’ll certainly post a ride report here when I go and probably UKGSer and HU.
RTW John is on UKGSer, lives in Santiago.
PM him any questions and he’ll reply
👍
ErikGustav2

Post by ErikGustav2 »

The area around the ecuator is nice the whole year around. One example is Ecuador. Nice all year. Colombia, north of Peru into Brazil. Venezuela if political conditions permit. Just avoid the south parts of South America. Cold at that time

I would very much like to go via Venezuela to Brazil.
But options are so many. Just pick one. It will be a great trip whatever you choice

Return to “TRAVEL”