Sleeping mats

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
diggermanbob

Sleeping mats

Post by diggermanbob »

Anyone using a Big Agnes sleeping mat , I'm looking at the wide and long one , I'm not a fan of camping but if I'm going to camp I want to be comfortable, I have the lightweight neoair x but its not big enough for me.
rockdodger

Re: Sleeping mats

Post by rockdodger »

I use the Exped Mega Mat long and wide. It’s a very good mat but there not cheap but it’s very comfy
crofty

Post by crofty »

I used a Exped Sim comfort 10 for years and it was fantastic till it eventually delaminated. On looking for a replacement I looked for a cheaper replacement and tried a Decathlon Air second, its bulky but at 15cm thick it is super comfy. There range goes from £12 to £70 you could have a look at them before you shell out £150 plus.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Alpkit have a variety too. I’ve got a cloud base which I’ve used for a few years… again, not as expensive 👍

https://alpkit.com/collections/sleeping-mats
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Buy a sleeping cot
Not a mattress
You will thank me
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:55 am Buy a sleeping cot
Not a mattress
You will thank me Image
I am tempted but not sure how small they pack up , plus weight wise don’t want anything to heavy as have to carry on the DRZ or ttr.
tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

From what I have heard and seen, and I'm happy for people to tell me I'm wrong, the downfilled Exped mats have excellent reviews for warmth and comfort, although as stated above, they are expensive.

I've always had Thermarests and may well try a Neoair Xtherm Max Wide when funds allow, however I bought a summer weight Exped mat in the summer and it was very comforable, so I can only imagine how good the winter ones are.

I also have a Helinox Cot One which, whilst extremely comfortable, still needs a blanket or mat on it in the winter as the cold air gets you from below if not. Also, a couple of my smaller tents wouldn't have the headroom for it, but if you're in a bigger tent it would be fine. They do take up a bit of space packed, and if you're off-road camping with limited luggage capacity, I think it's probably a luxury too far.

Don't know if I've helped or hindered your purchasing decision making.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I have an Exped Downmat---years ago replaced FOC when the early version delaminated--never be tempted to inflate with your lungs as condensation
will wreck the inner surface and down--you can get a great USB charging mini pump the size of a packet of fags that will inflate it quicker--and deflate it, and has a LED tent light as well. I have tried the Alpkit type compartmentalised beds--with a built in pillow--pack really really small and are quite comfortable, BUT in the winter they will suffer from condensation under your bag, unlike the insulated Downmat. I have also tried a quality camp bed with aluminium braces etc--even with big feet you stand the risk of puncturing the tent base whether its due to sinking in on soft ground or camping on stony stuff--plus you lose height in a small compact tent--I'll stick with the comfort and warmth of a Downmat thanks.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

At our age a proper bed is more forgiving..I'd now rather find a quite rural b and b etc than camp ...most sites are noisy over priced in UK...wild camping is another thing though...

I used a wide thermoset base camp for years very comfy and warm but packed large...the amount of space camping gear takes up is too much for me now...

Less is definitely more enjoyable..
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Tramp wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:34 pm At our age a proper bed is more forgiving..I'd now rather find a quite rural b and b etc than camp ...most sites are noisy over priced in UK...wild camping is another thing though...

I used a wide thermoset base camp for years very comfy and warm but packed large...the amount of space camping gear takes up is too much for me now...

Less is definitely more enjoyable..
Totally agree Russ ,it’s only for the odd occasion that a b&b is not an option, how are you doing ; it would be good to catch up at some point.

Return to “TRAVEL”