Towing a m/cycle to france, Germany, Switzerland

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Hodge57

Towing a m/cycle to france, Germany, Switzerland

Post by Hodge57 »

After a fantastic trip last year we have decided to go again but this time to tow the bike to give us the freedom to go hiking etc.

Are there any problems that we are likely to encounter as I have read about bikes inVans etc and tariffs of some sort
knobblywobbly

Re: Towing a m/cycle to france, Germany, Switzerland

Post by knobblywobbly »

The cost!

The ferry companies & eurotunnel charge more for a trailer than they do for the car you are towing it with! The exception are P&O who don't charge for a trailer up to 2m long - I'm building myself a transverse trailer for my bike to take advantage of this!
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Hodge57 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:04 pm
Are there any problems that we are likely to encounter as I have read about bikes inVans etc and tariffs of some sort
I took a bike to France this year in my van and didn't experience any problems at the border.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Motorbike or pushbike?
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Honestly? :roll: There's only one bike in my book. :lol:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

If it's a motorcycle you may need a carnet de passage...in effect a guarantee that you won't sell it while you are there. It's what used to be required when taking an unregistered (race) bike into Europe.
In the excellent book: The Inside Line; Rob Andrews explains how all of the five or six race bikes he would use in a season ended up using just two frame numbers (he took two bikes to each GP), as the paperwork was easier. Thank goodness for Dymotape and green or red paint!

( Best motorcycle racing book ever written. Buy at https://theinsidelinebook.com/)

With a registered bike you would need at least to take the V5 with you, but you might need to check the policy of each of the nations you are planning on visiting before you set out. Most would I think be fine providing they can see you've taken the bike out again.
knobblywobbly

Post by knobblywobbly »

I brought 2 bikes back from Spain in July on a trailer; 1 with UK plates and 1 on Spanish plates. I had no trouble leaving Spain or entering the UK.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

You won't need a carnet if the owner is in the vehicle towing or carrying the bike.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
tempesc

Post by tempesc »

I took two bikes from the UK to Romania and back a month ago. Took the log books but didn’t need anything going into France or back to the UK. I did have to produce the log book when I took it out of Shengen (which for me was Hungary to Romania) - all v straightforward.

As noted above chunnel cost me £500 return though. Think ferry was £100 or so less had i used that from Dover.
berin

Post by berin »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:If it's a motorcycle you may need a carnet de passage...in effect a guarantee that you won't sell it while you are there. It's what used to be required when taking an unregistered (race) bike into Europe.
In the excellent book: The Inside Line; Rob Andrews explains how all of the five or six race bikes he would use in a season ended up using just two frame numbers (he took two bikes to each GP), as the paperwork was easier. Thank goodness for Dymotape and green or red paint!

( Best motorcycle racing book ever written. Buy at https://theinsidelinebook.com/)

With a registered bike you would need at least to take the V5 with you, but you might need to check the policy of each of the nations you are planning on visiting before you set out. Most would I think be fine providing they can see you've taken the bike out again.
I took 3 motorbikes in my van, to France and Spain, this year.

No Carnet and no problem.

In fact the Carnet de Passage system isn’t recognised in Europe, so if you wanted a Carnet you’d need to get the ATA Carnet which is for goods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “TRAVEL”