South America - Intro

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
ErikGustav2

South America - Intro

Post by ErikGustav2 »

I do not know if this topic fits in this forum.
But I will created something. To see the reaction.
And then take it from there.

I had a plan to spend the winter 2020-21 touring South America on a motorcycle.
But we know what happened 2020.
So I was sitting in an apartment in Algarve/Portugal. With State of emergency, lock down and restrictions.
I had quite some time spend. I wrote about what had happened so far regarding preparation for that trip.
Maybe it could help someone else with similar ideas.
I used Horizon Unlimited to publish.

https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ ... uth-101810

But I will not use that anymore. It does not make sense to write about why. It is my personal preference.
But in general, I can say that it is very hard to get information/facts. There are a lot of opinions and comments about many things.
The reality is also changing. So most of the information presented is a result of my own research.
Searching for facts. Not rumours and opinions.

Since that I have spent quite some time to investigate the possibilities and costs for buying a bike locally.
I have choose that alternative. And I will soon leave for Colombia. To try to buy a bike there.

=> The first topic will be about the possibilities to buy a bike in South America.
And the second about my try to buy, register and leave Colombia on my own bike.

Then we will see. If there will be a blog and this trip or not.
Last edited by ErikGustav2 on Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ErikGustav2

Re: South America - buying a bike

Post by ErikGustav2 »

This post is based on my best knowledge.
If there is something that is not correct. Let me know and I will updated.
My goal has been to as a non resident legally

* Buy a local bike
* Have it registered as myself as owner
* Be able to leave the country with the bike

Nothing about Poder, passing customs by smuggling , photo shopping papers or....

Every country has its own laws. So it takes time to figure things out.
There is also costs, availability of bikes and other things to consider.
And many things follows the bike/owner.
Unpaid taxes, fees, penalties,insurances.... follows the bike to the new owner.
Buy a used vehicle private requires knowledge about how to check this and how to do the transfer of ownership correct.
I have focused on buying a new vehicle from dealer.
Even I also consider buying a used one from a dealer.

Many countries so not allow non citizens to register as owner of a vehicle.
And as I said before. To buy a bike and have it registered on some local people. Writing me a poses. Not for me...

I will sum up the conclusions for

Argentina
Chile
Peru
Brazil
Colombia

I all of these countries, it is possible to buy a vehicle a and have it registered with yourself as a owner.
With more or less but...

Argentina:
It is an easy process to buy a bike. And get it registered with yourself as owner.
But.... It is illegal for a non citizen to take the vehicle out of Argentina.
(There is a work around this. Based on that a vehicle can has two owner. And if one is a resident....But...)
This is base on trade regulations. Many countries will force people to buy vehicles in their own country,
So it is to avoid private import/export.
Argentina is a huge country. So it is still a good opportunity to buy a bike and travel within Argentina
Ruta 40 itself is 5 000 km.

And since the bike is registered Argentia. There is is no Temporary Import Permit that expires. The bike can stay forever.
You can go home and come back next year to travel again...
It is for me an interesting alternative.

For more information. Use:

http://www.xfiltrate.com/buy.php

Chile
Possible to buy and register. But much more complex procedure.
Leaving the country: Update
There is a paragraph in the law that says that you can leave the country.
When the bike is registred on you and
you have a specific paper from Natarie

If the driver of the vehicle is the owner and has a foreign nationality, he must present a simple sworn declaration before a Notary, in which he undertakes to return the vehicle to the country within the authorized period.

https://www.aduana.cl/capitulo-4-salida ... cuerpo_T16

Peru
Possible to buy and register. But much more complex procedure.
Leaving the country: Same story. This law is valid from 2019. So any stories before that are no longer relevant.
Not an alternative for me.
(But the workaround here is to write a Poder to a resident. That rides the bike out)

Brazil
Even more complex procedure. "Mission impossible" But it has been done.
Leaving the country: I have not been able to find any official laws. So maybe it is OK. It has been done, Legally or not ? I do not know.
And if the rules are still the same.
But... Bikes are very expensive. Even Honda has a factory in Brazil

Colombia

Next post.
Last edited by ErikGustav2 on Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ErikGustav2

South America - Buying a bike in Colombia

Post by ErikGustav2 »

For Colombia, there are no restriction of taking the bike out of Colombia.
At least, there has not been any. Or no changes has been done as I am aware of.
To register a new owner has to be done in Colombia.
So do not plan for selling it in any other country

Kirk bought a bike in Colombia. And returned 5 moths and 20 000 miles (32 000 km) later. And sold it.
03 Kirk.jpg
03 Kirk.jpg (36.99 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
These are the instructions that I have got:

To register ownership of a combustion engine vehicle (motorcycle, car, etc.) in Colombia. It is mandatory that the owner is registered in the RUNT (Registro Único Nacional de Tránsito).

This registration is done in person at any transit office as it requires.
I shall bring my passport and they will take my :

* signature
* fingerprint
* photograph

It is a procedure that is done before the transit authority.
It takes between 15 - 20 minutes
The cost is around COP$20,000 ($5)

Then the sellers starts the transfer.
And 3 days later. The bike is mine.

Well. That is the dream. But I do not think that it will go so smooth. But I hope that it will workout.

Wish me good luck. I will report the outcome
ErikGustav2

South America - Selection of Bike

Post by ErikGustav2 »

This is a sensitive topic.

A lot of people argue that their choice of bike is the only sensible. And that the rest are "idiots"

But I like Nathan the postman's statement. You can't say if a bike is good or bad if you do not say what it will be used for.
Most bikes are good at/for something.

When he traveled from Australia to England. A Honda CT 110 was the perfect bike. Main reasons: He could afford it and it started every morning. You can't use a bike that you can't afford. You want to use money on the trip, not preparing for the trip. Reliability and maintainability is kind of important in Mongolia.
When he did a trip in Europe, he selected a Royal Enfield Himalayan. As a very good travel bike
When he planned for riding two up across USA. He selected a Moto Guzzi. Shaft drive and 23 liters fuel tank. Good for pillion.

I wanted a
* Travel bike. Not a trail bike. But a bike good for dirt roads.
* Not too heavy and not too high seat.
* Possibility to carry rather large amount of luggage
* A bike that is easy to maintain
* A bike that is rather common in South America

And of course. Available in Colombia. At a good price.
Also the response from dealers was a factor.

I started with a long list of candidates.
Colombia has high import taxes on motorcycles over 200 cc.
So under 200 cc is an advantage. Or a bike produced in Colombia => No import taxes.
Indian made TVS was a candidate. China made AKT also (A bike assembled in Colombia. Using parts/sub units from China. That avoids the import taxes and creates work in Colombia. It also make it possible to make Colombian specific adaptations)

But in the end I had two top contenders.
* Royal Enfield Himalayan. Built in Colombia !!
https://royalenfieldco.com/motos-royale ... himalayan/

* Honda XR 190 L. From Honda's factory in Brazil.
https://motos.honda.com.co/motos-honda/ ... no/XR-190L

Not an easy choice.
I have ridden a RE HImalayan in Nepal. And I have a Honda NX4 as daily rider in Portugal.
It is rather known territory for me. Both excellent bike for this trip. Robust bikes, built for a hard life in India or Brazil.

The size and weight of the Honda is excellent.
And it comes at a very good price.

But in the end. I selected the Himalaya. Mainly because there are bolt on luggage racks and panniers.
(and also to the response from the dealer. With fast responses. And promised to help me with everything)

Everything is possible. I could have used Mosco Moto's reckless system on the Honda.
Home made solution is not easy when you stay in a Hotel room with the bike on the street.
Yes, there are workshops but....

Everything is a compromise. And this is my choice. This time.
Decision made. Bike reserved, No more thinking about this. Jsut waiting to pick up by bike and hit the road.
I fully understand that others have other criteria. Fine. Then we don't all use the same model.That would be very boring.
(If you haven't read the long story: The bike that I planned to ship was a Suzuki DL 650 XT with SW Motech luggage system. I have done 30 000 km on that bike in Sweden. And I like it a lot)
Attachments
Dag 07 03 00.jpg
Dag 07 03 00.jpg (125.62 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
DSC_0263_Fotor_Fotor.jpg
DSC_0263_Fotor_Fotor.jpg (143.75 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
02_14 Nidelvvassdraget.jpg
02_14 Nidelvvassdraget.jpg (155.88 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
ErikGustav2

South America - Camping or not?

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Camping equipment takes a lot of space.
So it is not obvious if it is worth carrying it or not.
To pitch the tent and pack it is not an issue for me. It is the luggage.
Normally I sleep in tent. Prepare my coffee/tea and sandwiches on small stove.
But I do not cook normal food. Some soup as emergency only.
I like that. My own tent. Where everything has its own place.
wake up in the morning. Prepare coffee. Pack things. Tea and sandwich for breakfast. And then start riding.
Bike outside the tent. I do not have to park it in a secure place. And carry the luggage up stairs to a room

There are very few camping opportunities in northerner parts of South America.
Colombia, Ecuador, Peru
And hotels are cheap. Good argument for not bringing camping gear.

But if/when I reach Argentina and Chile. There are many nice places to camp. Especial since I prefer nature before cities.
To camp by lakes and/or in national parks. That is what I want. Not hotels in the towns.
It is not about saving money. It is about to use the places that I like. To have the view of a lake from the tent. Instead och noise from a street.
I would not like to don't have that opportunity.
So I bring my camping gear. And I hope that I get use for it at a later stage of the trip.

Basic setup:
Tent. 3 persons tent. So that I can easy sore my riding gear in the tent. And some more stuff that I want at hand
Self inflation mattress
Sleeping bag
Air pillow
Multi fuel stove. To boil coffee and soup. Or maybe even pasta end rice. If needed.
johnnyboy

Re: South America - Intro

Post by johnnyboy »

thanks for that information,
ChrisCole

Post by ChrisCole »

This is very useful as I am planning a South American trip next year
Bart1

Post by Bart1 »

Yes, very useful info, thankyou. I've also been looking at S America too.
ErikGustav2

buying a bike in Colombia

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Thursday morning, I walked to the shop. Royal Enfield Bogotá Zona T.
The dealer gave me a very nice welcome. We had a coffee, What a coffee they have in Colombia.
My bike was there. Together with luggage equiment, Still in boxes, Ready to be mounted.

We decided to go for the RUNT registration next day.
This was his statement
"Because in Bogota they are giving appointments several days apart, we have guided and accompanied some other foreign clients to the Funza transit, which is a town near Bogota."

Please proceed as follows:

1. Let's make an appointment here at Royal Enfield (Cra 14 No 85 - 68) tomorrow Thursday 06 at 8:00 am.
2. I will be there and I will introduce you to Mr. Nelfo Calderon with whom you will travel to Funza (Together) and he will be your guide to register.
3. Apart from what we discussed about registration fees, please, to carry out the registration process, bring COP$200,000 in cash.
4. Tomorrow here at the store I will introduce you to your new Himalayan Rock Red (welcome and congratulations).
5. Once completed, once the registration in RUNT is finished (tomorrow) we will be able to start the registration process that takes two (2) business days and is the other, apart, mentioned value of COP$1,100,000 in cash.
6. For that other procedure that is the registration, also accompanied by Nelfo Calderón, you two can go to acquire the SOAT whose value is already included in the COP$1,100,000 registration fee.

2. So Loius sent his coworker Nelfo with me. To fix the RUNT and SOAT. We went ot the RUNT place. Some supportsystems were diówn, But we had it done.
6. Later we went to pay for SOAT and registration fee.

All¨was done before afternoon. What an excellent support, It would have taken a lot of time to do this alone..

No Kuis will fix the registration and the mecanics will mount extra equipment.

All the fees that have been payed for this were stated by Luis from start. No extra hidden costs.
Totaly open and very supportived, Exactly what I wanted.

Nothing more for me to do with this for the moment. Wait until Monday to see if I can pick up the bike.

Arrival Thursday morning => Bike ready to go on Monday !

I will update the post. When I have picked up the bike

Clarification
200 000 Pesos (50 Euro) at RUNT is the fee for them the register me in the system
The 1 100 000 Pesos I 275 Euro) (in the other place covers SOAT and taxes for one year. And the cost of transfering ownership
Last edited by ErikGustav2 on Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onenoodles

Post by Onenoodles »

This is an awesome thread ... great info for anyone planning and I look forward to the updates ... best of luck with the trip and I bet it will be amazing!

Return to “TRAVEL”