Don't bother going to Wales again

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Snaf MKII

Re: Don't bother going to Wales again

Post by Snaf MKII »

Billy Bananahead wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:44 pm
Snaf MKII wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:28 pm It's not just Wales, I had to come off the M6 last night and found myself in 20mph limits very quickly and then came across a 12p toll bridge to cross the Manchester ship canal!
That's the Warburton Viaduct, been there for years and usually bikes go over free, you must have been unlucky. I don't know of any 20mph limits round there though but Irlam and Urmston might have changed.
Must have been lucky as I was in the van and didn't pay, it was late though. Should I have stopped and found someone to pay?
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Snaf MKII wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:07 pm
Billy Bananahead wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:44 pm
Snaf MKII wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:28 pm It's not just Wales, I had to come off the M6 last night and found myself in 20mph limits very quickly and then came across a 12p toll bridge to cross the Manchester ship canal!
That's the Warburton Viaduct, been there for years and usually bikes go over free, you must have been unlucky. I don't know of any 20mph limits round there though but Irlam and Urmston might have changed.
Must have been lucky as I was in the van and didn't pay, it was late though. Should I have stopped and found someone to pay?
I don't think so. You'll find out when a letter comes through the door. :lol:
Womble

Post by Womble »

minkyhead wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:01 pm just spent three days touring wales .......
so a 20mph limit in those tiny half miles towns is neither here nor there ...easier to spot a good cake shop :evil: .....

braaaaaaap
Absolutely, definitely helps spot better cake shops, I benefitted from this in France with their 30kph limits, easier to find a nice patisserie and cafe :)
Enfield Himalayan... apparently they're Marmite... not keen on Marmite, but like Vegemite
YBR125... the little adventure steed of awesomeness
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

We've just had a couple of days in Scotland and most of the villages were 20mph limit. Not always easy to stick to but if I drift slightly over the limit I am under 25mph instead of doing 35mph. In most cases I think the lower limits were justified given the narrow streets and the number of motorhomes and trucks trying to squeeze through.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Just back from Cornwall. Most villages are 20mph there too. I can sympathise in the small tight roads but a few are main A roads going through a town and they've been reduced too.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

20 mph limits now coming to 80 sq miles of rural Surrey, to stop 'scramblers and 4x4s racing' according to the Daily Telegraph
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

It's the older, more rotund sensible trf members wots causing all a the problems ..
Ifn they rode a bit faster, all the uvver motorists wouldn't want to emulate them ... the bazards :lol:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

... and pee pee esss ... keep outa horrible wales ... nothing to see here ..
Crap as ell .. crap trails and scenery :D
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

redbikejohn wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:58 pm Just back from Cornwall. Most villages are 20mph there too. I can sympathise in the small tight roads but a few are main A roads going through a town and they've been reduced too.
Amusingly enough, my little hamlet in Cornwall is accessed by roads so narrow the milk tanker brushes both hedges with its mirrors.
All these roads are 60 mph...but if you actually do 60 mph on them, you end up in a ditch as a recent test-passer found.
She now drives as slowly and carefully as the rest of us.

Return to “TRAVEL”