Don't bother going to Wales again

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Richard Simpson Mark II

Don't bother going to Wales again

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The Welsh Government alliance of Greens and Labour is about to nod through a proposal to reduce all restricted roads (ie anything that's not National Speed Limit of 60 on SC and 70 on DC and MW) to 20 mph. In other words, all the 50, 40 and 30 limits will become 20.

This is being done to encourage 'walking and cycling' by making 'driving less attractive'.

The usual financial and penalty points punishments will be applied.

Good luck Welsh people. I'm so glad I left.

I'd suggest that the best way to counter this law would be to obey it, in fact to organise a day or two where everyone drove at 10 mph on all roads, especially any used by Mark Drakeford the rapist's dad.
Froglodyte

Re: Don't bother going to Wales again

Post by Froglodyte »

Think you've misread that. As I see it, the 20 limit only applies to roads with a current 30 limit.

BBC News - Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62020427
Richard Simpson Mark II

more here

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/wales-set-low ... 41139.html

It appears that they set out to convert 30s to 20s, but using the phase 'restricted roads' indciates that 40s and 50s will be in scope.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:The Welsh Government alliance of Greens and Labour is about to nod through a proposal to reduce all restricted roads (ie anything that's not National Speed Limit of 60 on SC and 70 on DC and MW) to 20 mph. In other words, all the 50, 40 and 30 limits will become 20.

This is being done to encourage 'walking and cycling' by making 'driving less attractive'.

The usual financial and penalty points punishments will be applied.

Good luck Welsh people. I'm so glad I left.

I'd suggest that the best way to counter this law would be to obey it, in fact to organise a day or two where everyone drove at 10 mph on all roads, especially any used by Mark Drakeford the rapist's dad.
Sounds good
I just thought it was built up areas which were 30’s
We were in the Borders with Minky , 10 days ago and a lot of the Scottish villages are 20 now
No hardship at all
If it saves a kid’s life (or a pensioner) then I am all for it Image
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Come on, tell the truth, that's as fast as you can ride anyway. Nothing to miss.
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

We were in the Borders earlier this year and whilst 20mph is easy enough to keep to with the auto van and speed limiter, I find that in the bigger van I end up doing nearer to 15mph in a lower gear just to make sure. It's no bother but you do end up being overtaken by the locals between the last house and the national speed limit sign.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Has anyone stopped to calculate the extra pollution from all the traffic grinding along in lower gears and staying longer in each 20 mph-limited area?
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:57 pm Has anyone stopped to calculate the extra pollution from all the traffic grinding along in lower gears and staying longer in each 20 mph-limited area?
I believe they have, I recall reading about it a while back and that the lower speed limit is significantly better in terms of emissions for the duration but that is countered by the extra energy needed to go from 20mph to the NSL. However that will soon be countered by a 50mph NSL
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Remember when the French reduced their SC speed limit from 90kph to 80kph in a bid to reduce accidents and it had zero effect on the statistics, so they allowed the limit to be increased to 90 if the department wanted to, which also had zero affect on accident statistics. They have adhered to a 30kph limit in urban areas though. It could be argued that slower speeds increase congestion (and frustration) because journey times are increased.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Snaf MKII wrote:
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:57 pm Has anyone stopped to calculate the extra pollution from all the traffic grinding along in lower gears and staying longer in each 20 mph-limited area?
I believe they have, I recall reading about it a while back and that the lower speed limit is significantly better in terms of emissions for the duration but that is countered by the extra energy needed to go from 20mph to the NSL. However that will soon be countered by a 50mph NSL
Most of East Yorkshire has dropped from 60 to 50 on NSL roads, it’s coming
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “TRAVEL”