Don't bother going to Wales again

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Mike Wrights

Re: Don't bother going to Wales again

Post by Mike Wrights »

Just returned from Mid Wales and came across loads of 20mph areas but the most frustrating was a lovely mountain pass on a Fri night they flipped the signs from the national speed limit to 30mph all the way.
Still lots of good roads to ride though if you keep of the main routes
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Went to the Logistics UK Transport Manager's Conference.

Traffic Commissioner Kevin Rooney said of the Welsh 20 mph limit:

"Who else here thinks they are a stupid idea? I have to slip the clutch on my bike below 20 mph."

Subsequent inquiry revealed TC Rooney is a Ducati rider!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Mike Wrights wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:16 pm Just returned from Mid Wales and came across loads of 20mph areas but the most frustrating was a lovely mountain pass on a Fri night they flipped the signs from the national speed limit to 30mph all the way.
Still lots of good roads to ride though if you keep of the main routes
Probably Brecon pass

How do they flip them signs?
Little man walks along?
Wires?
Mirrors?
Electronics?
Wind god?
Mr Drakeford?

How??????
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Aliens (Welsh assembly contract)
Its a trick............get an Axe
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Probably a privateer in a small light aircraft, contracted to the Welsh assembly, ..
Pull levers all the way to Cardiff would be too expensive .
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I haven't seen any mention of 40 and 50 mph limits to 20mph .. but 30 limit is to become 20 .. but this is discretionary to individual councils apparently. People seem to be moaning like fack, saying it will give more pollution and congestion and inconvenience to drivers and more danger to pedestrians ..... personally I think 20 is a good idea in tight crowded areas of towns and villages, giving precedence to pedestrians and cyclists (where the govt has not already provided for them ((lol) ) ... but ... just heard .... lol ... the welsh government "cannot" continue to fund the subsidy to private bus companies, meaning that 15-20% of bus services will be lost..... couldn't make it up.

Still .. the leader of wales, who cannot drive, himself .. nor presumably his pedo son, will be happy to get the cars off the roads in favour of pedestrians and cyclists (basically a worthy idea, by a sincere, well-meaning man), .. and has vowed that no new roads will be built in wales ..
I think there may be irate disruptions ahead. :| :? :(

so, if you like walking, hiking, cycling, camping, come to Wales ... o .. and demonstrating / blocking roads, with an affinity to superglue
lol :lol:

basically I think it is a laudable idea ... but, surely? alternatives ((to routes and services) must be provided ... Not removed?? :shock:

Return to “TRAVEL”