Russia

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
PaulinBont

Russia

Post by PaulinBont »

I thought I’d share this email with you, written by a Russian tour guide who organised the initial ‘Horizons Unlimited Russia’ meet a few years ago . Alexander is the owner of Rus Moto Tours ( some of you might have been on one of his tours) :
I met him when I did a Russia trip a few years ago:

"After Covid in 2020 I didn't expect to write once again such e-mails. It was extraordinary situation in 2020, real Black Swan, and I couldn't even image new Black Swan will happen just in two years.

We are very sorry that situation with Ukraine turned that way. We are common people, we are motorcycle travelers, we are against any wars. Unfortunately, we do not rule the world, politicians do that and frequently escalated conflicts into military actions.

Yesterday in the evening I opened Facebook and saw there 100% of posts from my friends and fellows against war with Ukraine. All Russians are against it. Many wrote long reads that it's a shame for us to see how our motherland starts such an aggression. We are 100% agree with them. All wars are started by arrogant politics and against common people will, who suffer in the end. In general, any war is a disaster and doesn't matter if its invasion to Iraq, Lyvia, Syria, Ukraine or any other country. But who listen to us?

Those of you who met us personally and travelled with us before, know that we are positive and friendly people, like ordinary Russians in general. But we are hostages of this situation, like ordinary Ukrainians. We want peace, not war. Hopefully, peace agreement will be signed soon.

For us current timing of this aggression is worst ever possible. After two years of living with covid, tired of lockdowns and travel restrictions, constantly rescheduling tours, we finally hoped for a good riding season. We have many tours scheduled for this summer with you and other riders and we were preparing for them.

And now war started… Russian rubble lost 40% of its value… Sanctions… We received plenty of cancellations… What a rollercoaster….

We received several cancellations because of "Putin" and "Russia is aggressor". We understand those of you who think so, being shocked by yesterday's events. Same time don't forget that Putin is not Russia, and Russia is not Putin. Ordinary people are always against war.

It was not my choice, neither our team decision. Like all normal people we are against wars. I guess nobody asked Europeans when NATO bombed Kosovo, and nobody asked Americans when USA invaded Iraq in 2003. These were decisions of political and military lobby, against ordinary people will. Sadly, same now in Russia.

Personally, I constantly vote against Putin since 2012 when he came back to power. I first met Alexey Navalny, Russian opposition leader, jailed now for fake reason, in 2010, when opposition movement in Russia was just emerging. For many years I donated money to his party before it was closed.

We started our company with a goal/mission, to make this world better place to live, more peaceful and freer from stereotypes, by showing people from all over the world real Russia, big and beautiful country with good people. And showing local people here, ordinary Russians, travelers from around the world. Travelling is excellent tool for peace, it removed all aggression when you meet locals and see they are same as you. And people see that you are like them. Sadly, I am not a president of Russia. May be just not yet…

Cancelling your trip to Russia because of "political reason" will not help you "punish Putin", but it will hurt us. Let's avoid emotional decisions now, please don't forget that there are good people in Russia, and they will remain. We are ashamed with our government aggression against Ukraine and hope peaceful solution will come up soon.

And please don't blame ordinary people for decisions taken by few politicians, that's not the solution, be wiser.”
Magnusson

Re: Russia

Post by Magnusson »

While think it's a great shame that small businesses will suffer from the actions of the Russian army and I feel sorry for the Russian general public. I feel I cannot at the moment support any business when the government is as it is there. As someone said, I feel sorry for the Russian people, but I feel more sorry for the people being attacked and/or killed in Ukraine. I'm pretty powerless in a situation far away but I try to do what little I can do to help.
I know some Russians personally and while they can be a bit crazy they are nice people and I would like to visit Russia when a new and better government is in power.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I quite agree with you. I think that Alexander’s email was written in response to the shock that ordinary Russians felt when Putin initially invaded Ukraine. Little did anyone know how horrific it would turn out.
Last edited by PaulinBont on Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

I have travelled only a little compared to many here but my experience is people are generally decent and I am sure that includes most Russians in actuall fact I have heard nothing but good things about The Russian People obviously not inclusive of at least some of the cowards in the kremlin. I am Sorry Alexander I as a low paid worker am going to pay a price for the stupidity of your leader just as many others probably including you. I am for every single sanction that can be imposed on Russia and more where possible, I have nothing against the normal Russian People and I wish you the best of future's, but you need to change your situation if not for yourselves but for others around you I implore you to do what you can, so perhaps one day then I can travel through a Free Ukraine and visit your Country and you would be of course be welcome in mine. criminally this young lady will never be able to travel anywhere.
Polina Kyiv.jpg
Polina Kyiv.jpg (66.54 KiB) Viewed 2263 times
lmg

Post by lmg »

Whilst I fully appreciate not all Russians are pro-Putin and anti-war, travelling in Russia in this climate is about as risky as it comes. Once the sanctions really take hold and Mr Putin starts to feel it, he will no doubt make life really REALLY hard for "westerners" in his country - hence the Foreign Office giving the advice to leave Russia unless your presence is essential. I doubt any insurance company will cover you as an adventure tourist in the country.

I am part of a group who were pre-covid, planning a trip across Russia and once the pandemic restrictions were starting to lift, we're again starting to think about big trips. With what has and is happening, that's now gone for at least 2 years in my view.

Sad state of affairs that Mr Putin hasn't realised he ought to be capitalising on his vast resources (gas, oil, etc.) rather than heading into war. Its clear he has lost touch with the real world and thinks his reach is limitless.
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

There is the potential for an anti-Western backlash in Russia from those who either only choose to believe Putin’s narrative or don’t have access to open, truthful reporting.
I fear that companies such as Alexander’s have had their day, I also think that from now on, that Russia will go back to it’s Soviet-era mindset so, unfortunately the days of welcoming foreigners is now over.
Unless Putin is overthrown in a popular uprising ( which is unlikely). , then I fear we won’t be going back to open borders or easy access to that great country.
I’m glad that I went when I did.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

OK I know it should be taken with a pinch of salt but I watched a YouTube clip where ordinary Russians were being interviewed and almost all did not believe what was happening but they supported putin regardless
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

It's turning into North Korea.

My advice to any Russian reading this is "enjoy your motorcycle, car, PC, and smartphone, because it's probably the last one of each you will ever own.
"And throw away the potato peeler...the skins are the most nutritious and delicious part of your future diet.
"I hope you enjoyed your 21 years in the 21st century."
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

We are very lucky to have relative 'democracy' in this country, we can in most instances say what we feel and believe in.

However, that is not so in Russia, the successors to the Cheka are busy weaving their terror into the minds of the ordinary people.

My respect to those brave folk who have demonstrated against the regime and I hope that they will not be forgotten.

TTFN

Hugh.
flag.jpg
flag.jpg (15.05 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:32 pm It's turning into North Korea.

My advice to any Russian reading this is "enjoy your motorcycle, car, PC, and smartphone, because it's probably the last one of each you will ever own.
"And throw away the potato peeler...the skins are the most nutritious and delicious part of your future diet.
"I hope you enjoyed your 21 years in the 21st century."
I am starting to think that the loss of Mc Donald’s, Starbucks, Coca Cola etc will really make the younger generation realise that he’s dragging them back into the Iron Curtain era.
Possibly ( hopefully) the realisation that they’re not going to be getting their annual latest-generation iPhone upgrade, will have a greater impact and maybe they’ll want to return to the 21st century as you say.

Return to “TRAVEL”