Another reference.

[attachment=0]EB9DB35B-ABE1-4984-9A13-59FFF71881EA.jpeg[/attachment]
Attachments
EB9DB35B-ABE1-4984-9A13-59FFF71881EA.jpeg
EB9DB35B-ABE1-4984-9A13-59FFF71881EA.jpeg (122.66 KiB) Viewed 2389 times
catcitrus

Re: Don’t crash in Europe

Post by catcitrus »

So where does the EHIC card come in as its still valid and still covers basic medical care---and if repatriation is required, and no insurance covers this, then the individual is charged--as has always been the case, even pre Brexit.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

catcitrus wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:33 pm So where does the EHIC card come in as its still valid and still covers basic medical care---and if repatriation is required, and no insurance covers this, then the individual is charged--as has always been the case, even pre Brexit.
The EHIC card has been replaced by a GHIC card for British residents. Any still in date EHIC cards are valid until their expiry. EHIC/GHIC offer the same cover as nationals of the country where it is used. In France that, at best is 70% of the cost. Most people in France have a Mutuelle assurance that covers the shortfall. Visitors are recommended to have additional holiday cover. The repatriation requirement is not covered by EHIC/GHIC.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I understand the GHIC thing-and as I understand it covers any Brit visiting based on the Gov website?-it covers the basics --at least in part---hence my question as to what is actually required by French law (or EU law?)----So when did this repatriation insurance come in--before Brexit?---I've never heard of it or got it in the past?
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

catcitrus wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:31 pm I understand the GHIC thing-and as I understand it covers any Brit visiting based on the Gov website?-it covers the basics --at least in part---hence my question as to what is actually required by French law (or EU law?)----So when did this repatriation insurance come in--before Brexit?---I've never heard of it or got it in the past?
The repatriation insurance isn’t new, it’s a third nation citizen requirement that British citizens now have to comply with. Look at what the documents I posted say. It’s no different to travelling to the States or Australia, to enter you have to have proof of sufficient insurance.
berin

Post by berin »

simonw wrote:Ah, yes, understood. Should have said EU.

Yes, all still possible, just not quite as easy as it was, that's all. On a sort of related note, I took out overseas recovery insurance when I had to drive to Germany a few months ago and noticed that in the small print it stated that they would only recover the car back to the UK if the value of the car warranted it. In other words, if it was an old banger worth £400, they wouldn't spend £1,500 recovering it back to the UK. I suspect the same clause might be in some/all of the motorcycle recovery policies too, so worth checking.
Yes, mine has the same. I wonder if they hand over the £400 value and call it quits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
berin

Post by berin »

Cornishman wrote:
catcitrus wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:31 pm I understand the GHIC thing-and as I understand it covers any Brit visiting based on the Gov website?-it covers the basics --at least in part---hence my question as to what is actually required by French law (or EU law?)----So when did this repatriation insurance come in--before Brexit?---I've never heard of it or got it in the past?
The repatriation insurance isn’t new, it’s a third nation citizen requirement that British citizens now have to comply with. Look at what the documents I posted say. It’s no different to travelling to the States or Australia, to enter you have to have proof of sufficient insurance.
This information still contradicts what you are saying - I don’t read French but I’m sure tour translation is correct-

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/europe ... ce/france/

“f you are still wondering “Do I need travel insurance to enter France?” note that insurance is obligatory for you, only if you belong to one of the categories listed below:

You need a visa to enter France for short stays. A document that proves you have travel insurance that covers the whole territory of Schengen is among the main France visa requirements. Without it, your French visa application would be rejected on the spot.

You will enter the Schengen zone through a country that requires travel Insurance for entry to Schengen. Some members of the Schengen zone want all travellers to present proof of having purchased travel insurance when they show up at their port of entry.

Note: Although citizens of countries who do not need a visa for France are not necessarily required to get travel health insurance for France, they are strongly advised to do so.”

I don’t think there is a requirement for it in either the USA or Australia either. It makes sense to have it, but I don’t think it’s a requirement. Australia even has a reciprocal health agreement with the UK, similar to GHIC.

I’ve certainly never been asked for proof of insurance in either of these and a very long list of countries visited.

Happy to be proven wrong, though, preferably in English that an English visitor could be reasonably expected to find.

Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

berin wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:28 pm
Cornishman wrote:
This information still contradicts what you are saying - I don’t read French but I’m sure tour translation is correct-

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/europe ... ce/france/

“f you are still wondering “Do I need travel insurance to enter France?” note that insurance is obligatory for you, only if you belong to one of the categories listed below:

You need a visa to enter France for short stays. A document that proves you have travel insurance that covers the whole territory of Schengen is among the main France visa requirements. Without it, your French visa application would be rejected on the spot.

You will enter the Schengen zone through a country that requires travel Insurance for entry to Schengen. Some members of the Schengen zone want all travellers to present proof of having purchased travel insurance when they show up at their port of entry.

Note: Although citizens of countries who do not need a visa for France are not necessarily required to get travel health insurance for France, they are strongly advised to do so.”

I don’t think there is a requirement for it in either the USA or Australia either. It makes sense to have it, but I don’t think it’s a requirement. Australia even has a reciprocal health agreement with the UK, similar to GHIC.

I’ve certainly never been asked for proof of insurance in either of these and a very long list of countries visited.

Happy to be proven wrong, though, preferably in English that an English visitor could be reasonably expected to find.

I have provided you with a French government document stating that even taking advantage of the 90 day visa waiver British visitors to France need medical insurance including repatriation insurance. It’s up to you whether you want to believe what they say or not. Having sufficient medical insurance and not ever being asked for it are two different things. The only time you are likely to be asked for proof is when the hospital that has dealt with you is preparing the bill. Again you’re a grown up you decide.
I find the negativity of these posts depressing. What’s the point of having members with first hand knowledge of a country, it’s rules and regulations if when it’s not what others don’t want to hear they question it.
One bit of advice, as far as France and Germany and probably many other EU countries are concerned the individual government laws trump the guidelines available on europa.eu. That’s a fact, whether you want to believe it is up to you.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

berin wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:07 pm
simonw wrote:Ah, yes, understood. Should have said EU.

Yes, all still possible, just not quite as easy as it was, that's all. On a sort of related note, I took out overseas recovery insurance when I had to drive to Germany a few months ago and noticed that in the small print it stated that they would only recover the car back to the UK if the value of the car warranted it. In other words, if it was an old banger worth £400, they wouldn't spend £1,500 recovering it back to the UK. I suspect the same clause might be in some/all of the motorcycle recovery policies too, so worth checking.
Yes, mine has the same. I wonder if they hand over the £400 value and call it quits!

Yes, they keep the bike and give you the money. But I don’t know if they still repatriate the rider?
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

There's a piece in Bike magazine where Andrew Dalton, solicitor, points out that since we left the EU insurers in, say, France, have very limited obligations to help you recover losses should you try to claim against a French client if you have an accident there. He recommends fully-comp insurance so your insurer can chase them to recover the loss.

Return to “TRAVEL”