Don’t crash in Europe

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Don’t crash in Europe

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Scott_rider wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:43 pm
berin wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:07 pm
simonw wrote:Ah, yes, understood. Should have said EU.

Yes, all still possible, just not quite as easy as it was, that's all. On a sort of related note, I took out overseas recovery insurance when I had to drive to Germany a few months ago and noticed that in the small print it stated that they would only recover the car back to the UK if the value of the car warranted it. In other words, if it was an old banger worth £400, they wouldn't spend £1,500 recovering it back to the UK. I suspect the same clause might be in some/all of the motorcycle recovery policies too, so worth checking.
Yes, mine has the same. I wonder if they hand over the £400 value and call it quits!

Yes, they keep the bike and give you the money. But I don’t know if they still repatriate the rider?
No, they keep you and give your wife the money! :)
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

:lol: ...before they repatriated me, they put me up in a hotel for 1.5 days whilst it was all being sorted out but I was the ONLY guest in the 18 rooms because it was technically closed for a 4 week period...it was about 25 miles away from Innsbruck in the countryside...that was a slightly spooky experience... :o
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Revival of an old thread time:-
Since we've not been abroad for 3 years we have changed our house insurance provider and therefore lost the included travel and medical insurance which we relied on for motorbike travel.
A quick quote on Cedar Tree (AXA insurance policy) has come up with £52 premium for 2 adults on a single trip which isn't too bad.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
simonw

Post by simonw »

Worth checking with your bank? Some accounts offer extras, like travel insurance, AA cover, phone insurance etc. For me, the extra cost of the premium account fee worked out cheaper than buying the benefits separately.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

But do check that the travel insurance with your bank account covers you for trips on a motorcycle…many don’t!
simonw

Post by simonw »

Yeah, definitely! In fact, pay careful attention to what is and isn't covered with all insurance. Or you could just rely on the ubiquitous GoFundMe page to get repatriated, like so many people seem to do these days!
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

A lot of included policies might not cover everything or have caps etc. Always best to double check coverage and if needed go with separate policy
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Further to my post about Cedar Tree travel insurance I have downloaded their policy documents and can find no exclusions regarding riding your bike, in addition I rang them today and they confirmed that the policy covers us including the medical and repatriation cover.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
dave h

Post by dave h »

I too have just got insured with cedar tree,(travel insurance not breakdown)
I managed to get 12 months for £80 odd zone 2

Dave.
knobblywobbly

Post by knobblywobbly »

Scott_rider wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:43 pm Yes, they keep the bike and give you the money. But I don’t know if they still repatriate the rider?
They don’t give you any money for your bike. They will pay whatever duty/tax that is required to scrap your bike, and will arrange that for you. They will also repatriate you if they haven’t already done so.

Return to “TRAVEL”