Getting up to Scotland

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
fatowl

Re: Getting up to Scotland

Post by fatowl »

Tonibe63 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:39 pm You don't want a slog up there and definitely don't want a slog coming back especially if it is raining. I would look at a long drive up with 2 bikes on a trailer and get accommodation that will let you leave the car+trailer in their car park as you will also be staying there on the way back. Then ride on in Scotland on a 4 day route before returning for an overnight and car+trailer collection for the comfy drive home.
Forget the sight seeing on the way up and back from Devon.
The other option which we increasingly use for UK touring is to rent a chalet/lodge/static caravan and take 2 bikes in a van or car+trailer. That way we can take lots of gear, have somewhere to get our head down for a few hours on route, have somewhere to park the van, we can dry wet gear out, we can come/go/eat etc when we please. Then we do a number of day rideouts in long loops in a similar format to the Crieff Cloverleaf https://www.cloverleaf.scot/the-routes/
That's not a bad idea. Definitely worth looking at. Thanks.
berin

Re: Getting up to Scotland

Post by berin »

fatowl wrote:
Godspeed wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:42 pm I’ve ridden up from Bristol about three times now on 125s. I know I’m already a fair bit up from you but I head up through the borders of Wales, A49 and then a sneaky whizz through Warrington (which is the boring bit) then up to the lakes and an overnight in Keswick, then up from there. You can always cross from there and do the Kielder roads but depends on where you are aiming.6DF32EB5-AF7E-4BF9-ABFC-881902C28385.jpeg
It’s really quite doable and actually a good bit of fun. Always get away early and plan some nice tea/sandwich/pee stops and it becomes quite fun Image
Yes, I thought about doing something like this, but it'll take 2 days up, and 2 days back again afterwards, and he's rather tight for time.

I've thought of the trailer/ van idea, but whet could I leave it for a week or so?
We did similar this year, drove 2 bikes up in a van. We stayed the first and last night at a lovely pub in Castle Douglas, and he let us leave the van in the locked courtyard car park for 2 weeks whilst we toured around the islands.
I can look out the name of the pub, if you like, it was a good place, great food, good beer and very friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “TRAVEL”