Scotland trip

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Tonibe63

Scotland trip

Post by Tonibe63 »

We were thinking of ticking the NC500 box this September but having witnessed the carnage of campers and SUV's on the smaller and more interesting roads of the Lake District this week I'm wondering if the NC500 will be just as bad.
We have done much of the Western side already, as circled below, and are not really fussed if we have to miss the busier bits out.
IMG_20210814_092712.png
IMG_20210814_092712.png (210.96 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
The question:-
Is the top of the NC500 worth the travel?
Are there any good alternative routes to avoid the West Coast?
Can you recommend roads/routes around the Cairngorms as an alternative to going up the West Coast?

I'm not dismissing the West Coast but don't want to miss out on the roads less travelled in the Central area.
Any suggestions much appreciated.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
moto al

Re: Scotland trip

Post by moto al »

hi the road up to the village of tayvallich is a great road not much traffic nice scenery well worth a visit
IMG_E2772.JPG
IMG_E2772.JPG (44.8 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
IMG_3912.JPG
IMG_3912.JPG (104.46 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
IMG_E2772.JPG
IMG_E2772.JPG (44.8 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
Attachments
IMG_E0911.JPG
IMG_E0911.JPG (96.18 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
moto al
moto al

Post by moto al »

IMG_E0921.JPG
IMG_E0921.JPG (58.75 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
moto al
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

You could take in the area around Lochs Tay and Rannoch, then across to Pitlochry, Braemar, up past the Lecht and on to Inverness. From there you could head on up the east side and make your way back down the west side & cover the area you have not done yet.

If you have not done the Isles of Mull & Arran, I would recommend them too.

Enjoy your trip
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

What about turning off right after Elphin and then heading for Lairg, at Lairg head north and then turn off left on the road that heads towards Scourie.
You need to take it easy on these sort of roads as you are likely to meet anything, large trucks or large beasts.
If you are camping, I would always take some means to defend yourself, you never quite know what is prowing about at night.
The locals are very friendly, once when I was up there with my mate, we stopped just by a house on its own to look at the map, and this woman stopped and invited us it for a cup of tea.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Thanks for the replies so far guys, I will put the pins in the map and add any further suggestions.
Keep them coming 8-) .
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Come September the hoardes will have reduced in size & number, what with the schools being back in and everyone back at their respective place of work :roll:

The roads east of Melvich aren't much to shout about, IMHO, unless of course you simply "MUST DO" JOG, but everything west and south of there all have something to offer, be it views or an interesting collection of bends.

As has been said, some of the narrower roads (the ones with grass growing in the middle :shock: ) can be challenging, even without the locals hooning along them or the wild life sleeping on them! But they will all make you smile whilst and after you've ridden them.

The Cairngorms have a very different feel to them when compared to the west coast, in a good way of course. The Braemar - Lecht roads will make you grin, turn around and do them again. The road from Aviemore to Spean Bridge via Laggan is also ace. TOP TIP - use the old road from Aviemore to Kingussie - it's virtually empty of traffic and offers twists & turns aplenty to keep you on your toes.

Take your time and enjoy whats around you and not just whats under your wheels.

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Thanks for replies so far.
I'm just trying to do a little planning for this (very unlike me) as I'm sure accommodation could be harder to find this year given the UK vacation overload but right now I'm wondering how the dreaded mozzie/midge situation is this year?
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

... and today was a good day in the life of...
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

What a total pain in the @rse trying to book accommodation, 4 hours trawling t'interweb for very very few choices. Managed to book the 2nd place on the trip while the first was only accepted as a request ...... ffs :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: .

Errr ........ rant over :oops: :roll: .

Return to “TRAVEL”