Scotland trip

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Brenhden

Re: Scotland trip

Post by Brenhden »

Just back from a week in Scotland and I can only assume its not normally like it is now. The amount of campers and mobile homes on the roads is crazy. Booking campsites was really tricky and we had to aim at campsites rather than finding campsites near where we wanted to be.

Still an absolutely brilliant trip though.

Also when did roof top tent become so popular? They are suddenly everywhere!
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Finally managed to get 7 nights accommodation split over 2 places and have planned various routes to take in some the NC500 that we haven't previously ridden but not bothering with the Northeast or West Coast.
Rough plans are shown below and would welcome any recommendations for smaller roads or other must see views even if it involves a short walk.
Screenshot_20210828-153203.png
Screenshot_20210828-153203.png (172.18 KiB) Viewed 1854 times
Screenshot_20210828-153711.png
Screenshot_20210828-153711.png (162.2 KiB) Viewed 1854 times
Any pointers much appreciated.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Looks good, have you thought about petrol stations?
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Dark Knight wrote: ↑Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:05 pm Looks good, have you thought about petrol stations?
Yes I am thinking that could be an issue.
Around the top loops (3 days) the maximum mileage is 165 miles a day and both bikes can easily carry enough petrol for that. The lower loops (2 days) could be up to 200 miles which will be tight but I will plan around that regarding a fuel stop en route.
I've also got a few jerry cans of petrol just to brim the tanks at the start of each day.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Tonibe63 wrote: ↑Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:45 pm Rough plans are shown below and would welcome any recommendations for smaller roads or other must see views even if it involves a short walk.
The Wee Mad Road, and continue north after Lochinver . Stoer Head Lighthouse is a nice diversion off the northern part.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/s ... anoch.html
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

After Altnaharra, heading north, turn left and ride alongside Loch Hope whilst looking up at Ben Hope - grass in the middle of the road and occasionally a red deer sunning itself in the middle as well. A rather stunning broch can be viewed just before the Loch.

Camper vans have been known to venture along this small road, so take yer time if you try it.

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
RandG

Post by RandG »

Dark Knight wrote: ↑Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:05 pm Looks good, have you thought about petrol stations?
It's Scotland he's doing, not the road of bones.
RandG

Post by RandG »

Interested to know why you're going to Dornoch ?

If it were me, I'd be missing out that Lairg to Ledmore junction, cnut of a road and if I were going to Dingwall and Lairg I'd be taking the Sturie to Bonar Bridge, that way missing out that horrible Ledmore - Lairg road. Of course it depends what way you are going and or staying I guess.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

RandG wrote: ↑Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:16 am Interested to know why you're going to Dornoch ?

If it were me, I'd be missing out that Lairg to Ledmore junction, cnut of a road and if I were going to Dingwall and Lairg I'd be taking the Sturie to Bonar Bridge, that way missing out that horrible Ledmore - Lairg road. Of course it depends what way you are going and or staying I guess.
Thanks for the info regarding the bad roads, the plans are always pencilled in so I will review them based on your experience.
Dornoch was not a natural choice but was driven by the lack of available accommodation anywhere in the area around Inverness which was my initial plan, we've even had to split or 8 days between 2 different bases to make it worth the trek up from the Midlands.
Thanks again

Return to β€œTRAVEL”