Online Speed Awareness course??

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
SteveR

Re: Online Speed Awareness course??

Post by SteveR »

byewayrider wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:24 pm A good friend who drives hgv farm animal trucks got a phone ticket 6 points 200 quid and 8 weeks loss of licence and 3 years o drive carefully..

Strange as it seems the points didn't add anything to his car or motorbike policy's even when disclosed... Phone use is more serious than spedding for sure...

I'm sure if your wife explains to the online tutor they will take care of her... Its about education... Always thought 3mph over in a 30 wasn't a ticket... Maybe that's in England lol...
Speed=Income.... :(
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The company that 'delivers' the 'training' is owned by the police!

Kerrrching!

Many of the paid 'trainers' are serving police officers!

Kerrrching!
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:31 am The company that 'delivers' the 'training' is owned by the police!

Kerrrching!

Kerrrching!
What a cynical implication..... :o
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

SteveR wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:32 pm
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:31 am The company that 'delivers' the 'training' is owned by the police!

Kerrrching!

Kerrrching!
What a cynical implication..... :o
Yet completely factual :P
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Kerrrching!

Kerrrching!
So were should revenue from a result of speeding offences go?
If you get caught you pay the fine or for the course, what the difference in where the money goes?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Fines go to the Treasury's General Funds...just like taxes do.

The revenues from these courses go to a company owned by the police.
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:10 am Fines go to the Treasury's General Funds...just like taxes do.

The revenues from these courses go to a company owned by the police.
Taxes pay for the police so I still don't see the issue
Richard Simpson Mark II

There's an incentive for the police to fill the courses....hence being sent on one for 33 in a 30, which is inside the old guidelines which allowed a bit for speedo error (10% + 2 mph IIRC).
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:26 pm There's an incentive for the police to fill the courses....hence being sent on one for 33 in a 30, which is inside the old guidelines which allowed a bit for speedo error (10% + 2 mph IIRC).
If I get caught speeding, I can avoid getting points by requesting to take a speed awareness course.

This is very much false. There are criteria for being able to take a speed awareness course and you’re not able to request that you take the course, it’s completely down to whether this gets offered to you.

In order to be eligible for a speed awareness course, you have to match the following criteria:

You haven’t been convicted of any other speeding offences in the past 3 years.You’ve been caught driving over 10% plus 2mph over the limit, but below 10% plus 9mph (can be dependent on the individual Police force).

So, generally speaking, this is usually only an option offered to you if it’s a lesser offence (only driving slightly over the speed limit) and you have a relatively clean record.

Ref: https://www.reddrivingschool.com/2020/1 ... ing-myths/
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

bill_qaz wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:06 pm
In order to be eligible for a speed awareness course, you have to match the following criteria:

You haven’t been convicted of any other speeding offences in the past 3 years.You’ve been caught driving over 10% plus 2mph over the limit, but below 10% plus 9mph (can be dependent on the individual Police force).

So, generally speaking, this is usually only an option offered to you if it’s a lesser offence (only driving slightly over the speed limit) and you have a relatively clean record.
One might think that if a 'speed awareness course' was proven to be a beneficial thing, then it would be the people speeding the most who have most to gain from the course ?! Instead it is offered to those who have accidentally or unwittingly crept slightly over the limit.

Personally speaking, when I'm in a car I drive like a boring old man - personally I find driving in utilitarian cars pretty dull and so I stay close to the limits on the whole. HOWEVER, you put me on a decent motorbike and I ride like a loon. Every clear corner is an opportunity for fun and I rarely stay within limits outside of built up areas.

But what the policy above means is that I am quite likely to be educated in speed awareness when I lose concentration and do 35 in a 30, but when the full moon comes out and I become a moto hooligan and do 120 in a 60 I just become a cash cow and/or get banned. Surely I am more in need of educating when I ride like a loon than when I drive like a slightly negligent careful person?

Return to “TRAVEL”