Transporting bikes to Europe in a Van

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
johnnyboxer

Re: Transporting bikes to Europe in a Van

Post by johnnyboxer »

daveuprite wrote:It's not a case of myth or not. It's a case of how the regs are implemented, or not. Obviously there's no border checks between Schengen EU countries so you wouldn't expect anything at the Portuguese/Spanish border. During the current covid crisis that could be different obviously depending on how the local police each side are checking for vaccinations/quarantine etc.

At the EU/non-EU border (e.g. France/UK) there is the right to check everything and the right to implement every regulation that applies to TCNs and goods from outside the EU - but that doesn't mean that they are always implemented. There's staffing and time resources to consider (brexit is costing EU neighbours a lot of money). But that doesn't make the whole issue a myth. It just means that those who say 'nothing happened to me when I went through' just got lucky that they weren't checked on that occasion.

Of course there might be a re-negotiation of the botched deal done last December which hopefully tackles what should have been sorted out back then. Let's wait and see.
Just reporting 2 specific instances Of British nationals entering France and Spain, this week

One with road registered racing bikes in a van, entering France and no extra hassle

Another were bike riders on the their bikes entering Spain and having no hassles re Covid regulations in entry and exit to Schengen territory

Nothing seems to have changed much

British press are reporting travel hassles, which don’t seem to be actual reality according to the real life experience of travellers this last week
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Well good for them, Johnny. Nobody wants delays, checks and expenses at borders (unless you voted brexit of course, in which case it's what you voted for!) - so I'm really glad the guys you know traveled without hold-ups. The worry will be when a particular border port decides to apply the letter of the law, or have a clamp-down and one of us happens to be in the queue at the time. It would be nice if UK bikers could have more than just luck on their side as to whether they'll get hit with fines or whatever when they take bikes in a van on the ferry. Ultimately I suspect the motorcycle issue will prove so ridiculous that it will be re-negotiated (with as little fuss as the tory fools who caused it can get away with, and absolutely no apology of course).
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

daveuprite wrote:Well good for them, Johnny. Nobody wants delays, checks and expenses at borders (unless you voted brexit of course, in which case it's what you voted for!) - so I'm really glad the guys you know traveled without hold-ups. The worry will be when a particular border port decides to apply the letter of the law, or have a clamp-down and one of us happens to be in the queue at the time. It would be nice if UK bikers could have more than just luck on their side as to whether they'll get hit with fines or whatever when they take bikes in a van on the ferry. Ultimately I suspect the motorcycle issue will prove so ridiculous that it will be re-negotiated (with as little fuss as the tory fools who caused it can get away with, and absolutely no apology of course).
I am sure it will all work out in the end and Brexit teething troubles will turn into non issues for us, resident Brits

I already see the insurance green card ruling has been dropped and we now don’t need it for touring & travelling in mainland Europe

Our uk purchased insurance affords us full EU cover as before Brexit

So that’s a no cost change

I am sure uk licences will also be valid in EU, without need for an IDP

With money we don't have

berin

Post by berin »

IDP not required for Brits to drive in the EU and usual countries if you have a UK issued photo card licence.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/inter ... ing-permit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

berin wrote:IDP not required for Brits to drive in the EU and usual countries if you have a UK issued photo card licence.

Thank you

With money we don't have

Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

berin wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:09 pm IDP not required for Brits to drive in the EU and usual countries if you have a UK issued photo card licence.

Reading the list I think some things have changed, Iceland for instance if you're staying longer than 30 days, Germany and Spain if longer than 6 months. Monaco, Vatican city need IDP
Or was it like this pre Brexit?
berin

Post by berin »

I doubt very much Monaco requires an IDP since it’s about the size of Slough and has nothing remotely resembling a border control.

berin

Post by berin »

And most of that list is academic, eg Australia lists a requirement for an IDP but Brits definitely don’t and never have needed one there.

I’ve only ever used an IDP for some weird countries where a language translation might help or if it was something I could hand over and not mind if I never saw it again.

Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

I needed an IDP for India, most Middle East and Caribbean countries that I've worked in, I couldn't hire a car in NZ without an IDP a few years back.
I can't recall ever showing a driving permit or licence at a border but have many times when stopped by police, so you only need one when you need one.
berin

Post by berin »

I’ve carried one in many countries, only shown it once, in Bosnia and that was only because I don’t care if they keep it. That list says it’s required in the US, I’ve driven, ridden and hired cars in the US many times and never needed one, nor in Australia, nor in South Africa or Morocco.

But anyway, now you know it’s not needed in most European countries, nor a green card. All they need to sort out now is taking someone else’s bike in the back of a van

Return to “TRAVEL”