Europe 2021

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
flamair

Re: Europe 2021

Post by flamair »

Oop North John wrote:Just because something isn't illegal, does it still mean that you should do it?
In this case absolutely.

You hide under your duvet. I'll live my life.

Covid has a 99.4% survival rate - without vaccines.

In 2022 nothing will have changed. The threat of mutations will still be here. The chances of catching it will still be here. The same goes for 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 etc.

So, enjoy your touring in the UK, getting wet and dodging huge amounts of traffic and surrounded by hundreds of people - any one of which may give you Covid.

Meanwhile, I'll be in deepest rural France, with almost deserted roads, great weather and almost no one there to catch anything off.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
berin

Post by berin »

Plenty of people from plenty of counties are touring Europe now on the TET.
Word from the road says it’s quite doable, once in Europe many border crossings are being done without PCR results. Spain no longer requires either a test or a vaccine for entry.

But I do think it’s best if the nervous stay home. Actually at home, since it could be risky to go out, cos variants. And they could be asymptomatic super spreaders, so it safer for everybody else if they stay home too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Onenoodles

Post by Onenoodles »

Oop North John wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:44 pm Just because something isn't illegal, does it still mean that you should do it?
I make my living out of assessing risk and do it every day ... a few months ago and it would have been out of the question ... now after both injections, knowing how I conduct myself when travelling and assessing the risks here and having to live and work around those risks in the UK then I will make a decision to accept the risk for European travel.

There is a balance between living a life worth living or forever restricting people based upon the twists and turns of the virus or many other hazards and risks for that matter ... unless something puts the vaccine into a flat spin then we cannot constantly live in fear ... what is the point of vaccination if it does not allow life to return to as near normal as possible?

The science showed that we needed draconian measures and rightly so and they were implimented and activities became illegal ... now science is allowing the easing of some of those restrictions and therefore if becomes legal again then for me the science will have supported that and so I would choose to take it ... why would I not?
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

berin wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:35 pm Plenty of people from plenty of counties are touring Europe now on the TET.
Word from the road says it’s quite doable, once in Europe many border crossings are being done without PCR results. Spain no longer requires either a test or a vaccine for entry.

But I do think it’s best if the nervous stay home. Actually at home, since it could be risky to go out, cos variants. And they could be asymptomatic super spreaders, so it safer for everybody else if they stay home too.

Off you go then and I wish you all the best, meanwhile I'll continue to do what I think is right to protect my vulnerable son .
one-legged adventurer
berin

Post by berin »

boboneleg wrote:
berin wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:35 pm Plenty of people from plenty of counties are touring Europe now on the TET.

Off you go then and I wish you all the best, meanwhile I'll continue to do what I think is right to protect my vulnerable son .
Good for you, that’s how it should be - everyone is capable of assessing their own acceptable level of risk and acting on it. I hope sometime soon you feel safe enough to resume travel, biking, meeting new people and old friends and all that brings with it.

flamair

Post by flamair »

berin wrote:
boboneleg wrote:

Good for you, that’s how it should be - everyone is capable of assessing their own acceptable level of risk and acting on it. I hope sometime soon you feel safe enough to resume travel, biking, meeting new people and old friends and all that brings with it.

Absolutely.

Unfortunately there are a number of people that also want to dictate to others what they should be doing as well!

Sadly, anyone who continues to feel under serious threat from Covid once the vaccination programme is complete is in for a very thin time of it - as that's all folks.
Not much else can be done.

Life is all about risk, and by the time vaccination is complete that's pretty much the mitigation done on the Covid front.

The vast majority are not going to accept constant restrictions once the programme of jabbing is done.

Remember, you're unique!

crofty

Post by crofty »

attitudes to risk are interesting.
I believe the general public view of motorcycling is that it is dangerous activity, it is listed on the dangerous activities on my insurers lists (Nationwide)
I wonder where the greater risk lies. Travelling the average mileage per year by motorcycle or taking a average 2 week holiday to a green list country when you have had both covid vaccinations.
Personally it's not the risk of catching covid that puts me off, its the hassle of testing, isolating, paperwork etc plus the uncertainty that I might/probably would be riding without medical/travel insurance
Onenoodles

Post by Onenoodles »

crofty wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:50 am attitudes to risk are interesting.
I believe the general public view of motorcycling is that it is dangerous activity, it is listed on the dangerous activities on my insurers lists (Nationwide)
I wonder where the greater risk lies. Travelling the average mileage per year by motorcycle or taking a average 2 week holiday to a green list country when you have had both covid vaccinations.
Personally it's not the risk of catching covid that puts me off, its the hassle of testing, isolating, paperwork etc plus the uncertainty that I might/probably would be riding without medical/travel insurance
Pretty much how I view it ... not really concerned with the covid risk but if its going to mean any sort of isolating then I won't go ... I have spoken to my insurers and if the country goes 'green' and not on the FOC 'do not travel' list then my policy stands, I will ring around travel insurers but I would imagine its going to be the same?

Risking 'yellows' is a non-starter for me due to the above.
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

flamair wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:41 pm
Oop North John wrote:Just because something isn't illegal, does it still mean that you should do it?
In this case absolutely.

In 2022 nothing will have changed. The threat of mutations will still be here. The chances of catching it will still be here. The same goes for 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 etc.

So, enjoy your touring in the UK, getting wet and dodging huge amounts of traffic and surrounded by hundreds of people - any one of which may give you Covid.

Meanwhile, I'll be in deepest rural France, with almost deserted roads, great weather and almost no one there to catch anything off.

Good luck!

As long as you don't catch it and bring it back to the UK and start another spread. Or take it with you. IMHO testing should be compulsory for anyone leaving or entering the country.
flamair

Post by flamair »

bill_qaz wrote:
flamair wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:41 pm
In this case absolutely.

Good luck!

As long as you don't catch it and bring it back to the UK and start another spread. Or take it with you. IMHO testing should be compulsory for anyone leaving or entering the country.
Oh give over.

You're heading for a situation where you're never going to do anything or go anywhere again. Covid isn't going to go away. If I catch it I catch it, though as I'll have had both vaccinations by then, it won't bother me anyway.

But it is far less likely in rural France where there is almost no one there than the English Lake District or Cornwall - or any of the tourist spots in the UK - all of which will be heaving with idiots from the UK that think you're more likely to catch Covid from Johnny Foreigner....

Remember, you're unique!

Return to “TRAVEL”