Planning a European trip....what’s your method?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
SteveWat

Planning a European trip....what’s your method?

Post by SteveWat »

I know no one’s booking anything right now....but it’ll be back.
Me...I book the ferry and return. I have an idea of where I’m going and when I’m coming back.
Pretty much everything in between is made up on the go.
Camping is too much trouble for me and I tend to head out to central and Eastern Europe where hotels are pretty cheap.
Having said that, I tend to do my trips April/May ( but not Easter) and late August or September when hotels generally aren’t too busy.
I have a travel partner who’s of the same mindset and we’ve never come unstuck.
I understand folk who meticulously plan every stop over, a big part of the fun is in the planning.
Spike941

Re: Planning a European trip....what’s your method?

Post by Spike941 »

Yep, your method and mine are almost, if not actually identical. Works every time, and a complete change of direction for whatever reason makes no difference.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I like planning but it all goes out the window once I get past Calais.

I miss Europe.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

I book the short crossings a day or 3 before departure I have on occasion booked a bed for the first night if arriving late, Biscay crossings need to be booked further in advance year on year it seems. Accommodation is on the "wing-it" principle, a mix of camping, hostels and budget b and b's etc which does sometimes cause some stress. Riding route is planned in advance often with options usually longer than is likely to be practically completed, I rarely get done what I intend which is never a concern actually a positive unless its a technical issue. Return short crossing booked usually the day prior. Works for me.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Being feckless at programminging a sat nav I usually have a start & stop destination with a direction I want to go in. I'm sure if you could follow me via google earth you'd think I was a bumblebee giving directions to the best pollen, it's usually all out the window after 20 miles :lol:

I do make sure I've got somewhere to sleep or if not booked a couple of options but when you've got a tent on the back it's not the end of the world if you have to go wild.

I've been on a few trips with friends where the day is meticulously planned; it certainly has it's advantages, you get to ride the best available roads & see some great sites, however if I'd wanted life that regimented I'd have joined the forces ;)
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

P4ulie wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:50 pm I'm sure if you could follow me via google earth you'd think I was a bumblebee giving directions to the best pollen, it's usually all out the window after 20 miles :lol:
Bees are actually very good at giving directions. But I'd like to see you doing a crazy dance with your arse in the air in front of your biking mates...
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

daveuprite wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:09 pm
P4ulie wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:50 pm I'm sure if you could follow me via google earth you'd think I was a bumblebee giving directions to the best pollen, it's usually all out the window after 20 miles :lol:
Bees are actually very good at giving directions. But I'd like to see you doing a crazy dance with your arse in the air in front of your biking mates...
You know I can arrange that. Right?
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

As soon as i finished typing that, I did wonder if it might just tease someone out of their hive... :D
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Just buzzing that you thought of me 😉
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Book 1 way tunnel during week before going, plan a rough idea of route but not accommodation, carry a tent+minimal camping gear as a last resort option (no cooking stuff or kettle) then book return tunnel when we know it's time to come back. Maximum trip done this way was 20 days to Montenegro and back on the bike.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “TRAVEL”