Crit air certificates. Needed or not?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Godspeed

Crit air certificates. Needed or not?

Post by Godspeed »

Seeking your wisdom.
Hoping to head to France (eventually) and was looking at the crit air certificate. All but Paris have this picture on the French website, does that mean you don’t need a certificate if you’re on a bike (non classe)???
EB908B58-C707-4AC4-9C72-39955A606733.jpeg
EB908B58-C707-4AC4-9C72-39955A606733.jpeg (183.72 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
byewayrider

Re: Crit air certificates. Needed or not?

Post by byewayrider »

Your going to ride a small motorbike near Paris..... You need good health insurance, death insurance and a box of rabbits feet.... Truly mad idea imho.... Anyway France isn't open and I dowt it will be as its heading for another lockdown....

The daily numbers are scary... Autumn is my aim for euro travel..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Thanks for that John. It does appear that as long as you don’t need to go into Paris then both Strasbourg and Grenoble are fine for motorcycles.
I’ll avoid Paris then and save myself the £4 for one 👍
The Meandering Moustache

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Always a good idea to avoid the Peripherique. In rush hour it's a nightmare. I've done it a few times in the early hours of the morning, which is not bad at all. But unless you really want to visit Paris or skirt it close for some particular reason, there are better routes around the capital, with no critair issues. Where do you want to go, Chris, and from where?
Gazktm1050

Post by Gazktm1050 »

I got one for my bike easy to do lasts life of the bike i went to grenoble which was on the list of places if you went in you needed this. if not a fine of £150 euros .its only £4 didn't seem worth the risk not to plus its on for the future .
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Gazktm1050 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:14 pm I got one for my bike easy to do lasts life of the bike i went to grenoble which was on the list of places if you went in you needed this. if not a fine of £150 euros .its only £4 didn't seem worth the risk not to plus its on for the future .
It may of changed but from what I could see You don’t need it if you’re in a private car in Grenoble. I know it’s not expensive but was trying to clear up with people in the know whether it was really needed or not 👍
77DBC874-2813-4D12-A9AC-FA26A7111099.jpeg
77DBC874-2813-4D12-A9AC-FA26A7111099.jpeg (91.64 KiB) Viewed 2545 times
The Meandering Moustache

Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

daveuprite wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:54 pm Always a good idea to avoid the Peripherique. In rush hour it's a nightmare. I've done it a few times in the early hours of the morning, which is not bad at all. But unless you really want to visit Paris or skirt it close for some particular reason, there are better routes around the capital, with no critair issues. Where do you want to go, Chris, and from where?
Ha ha ha, yeh I was just pondering that I may take a fast ride down to the Alps at some point, maybe onto Vienna or somewhere depending on time but as I wasn’t planning on travelling through Paris I wondered whether I really needed a certificate at all. I think probably no 👍
The Meandering Moustache

Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

By the way, wouldn’t have an issue riding anywhere like Paris on my 125. Ridden London and Athens in the rush hour and parts of India, can’t imagine it would be much worse than that, besides a 125 is perfect in those situations; flickable, light, nippy, everything you need in a busy city 🙂
The Meandering Moustache

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

dont know the date of issue of this .. but ..
https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/overseas- ... ion-zones/

Are motorways exempt?
The A480 in Grenoble, A6 and A7 motorways for Lyon are exempt from this scheme as well as the Boulevard de la Périphérique in Paris. However it would be wise to get a sticker anyway. If there are roadworks/motorway closures and a diversion is in place you may be taken off the motorway into a Low Emission Zone. Failure to display a sticker even in this circumstance would be met with a fine.

to improve air quality. In Paris*, Grenoble, Lyon, Lille and Strasbourg, the use of the Crit'Air vignette is now compulsory. It could also be compulsory in other French cities and towns in the event of a pollution peak.

s it just Paris, Lyon and Grenoble?
Currently the only cities which require a vignette are Paris*, Lyon and Grenoble however Lille and Strasbourg have been recently added. As many as 22 other French towns and cities have registered an interested in implementing the scheme over the next three years.

*Please note that for Paris the emissions zone only applies from the Boulevard de la Périphérique to the centre of Paris. The outer suburbs of Paris are not affected by this scheme.

Return to “TRAVEL”