Continental updates please

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Barcelona Pat

Re: Continental updates please

Post by Barcelona Pat »

daveuprite wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:46 am
AlanHolt wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:40 am Spain has extended the ban on entry by 3rd country nationals until the 31st May 2021.
Thanks Alan. Still hoping to drive over the mountains in September and camp for a week in Catalunya, as usual. But there's many a slip twixt cup and lip...
But on a positive, the municipal restrictions within Catalunya have now been lifted again, so a bit easier to get aound while here. Does mean I can finally get my Ten´s forks to my guy in the city for a refurb and new springs, followed by an ITV (MOT).
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Norway still has closed borders to foreign travellers for anything but documented essential travel.
Barcelona Pat

Post by Barcelona Pat »

Most of Spain has recently moved out of the state of emergency (with a few autonomous regions still maintaining restrictions) with some associated easing of restrictons (eg bars and resturants can open into the evenings - previously in some regions it was only until 5pm). This does mean that travel within the country can also now happen between (most) regions - but you do have to check as there are still exceptions (and police patrols). I suspect UK plates will attract attention - not least as they are a different colour!

All that said I can´t help wondering on the logic of this relaxation. The vaccine roll-out here is months behind the UK. Also, and perhaps more importantly in the short term, the 7 day rolling average is between 200-300 per 100,000. That is way way higher than the average of 23 in the UK and you are only now looking at fuller pub opening. Can´t help wondering if economic (and political) considerations are becoming more of a factor than medical ones? Already high unemployment has only increased further - with some 35% now for young people - which is pretty shocking really.

Anyway, seems restrictions on entering the country are still in place. Things may change in a few weeks by the time I travel next, but at this point I am having to pack official documentation that proves my residency otherwise I may not get back in :lol: :lol: :lol: Can´t help feeling it is going to be a while before Spain falls in to the UK´s green catagory.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Been wondering what the position is likely to be for a trip through Portugal later in the year, as it is now on the Green List...

However it will mean transiting through N Spain from the Ports. I realised that the procedure will have changed in 3-4 months, but what is the situation now for a quick run from Bilbao to Portugals Northern borders?
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

SteveR wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:19 pm Been wondering what the position is likely to be for a trip through Portugal later in the year, as it is now on the Green List...

However it will mean transiting through N Spain from the Ports. I realised that the procedure will have changed in 3-4 months, but what is the situation now for a quick run from Bilbao to Portugals Northern borders?
Brittany Ferries are considering a new route from Plymouth to Portugal to take advantage of the green list status.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/enterpr ... l-20572719
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

AlanHolt wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:43 pm
SteveR wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:19 pm Been wondering what the position is likely to be for a trip through Portugal later in the year, as it is now on the Green List...

Brittany Ferries are considering a new route from Plymouth to Portugal to take advantage of the green list status.

It would be interesting if they kept that route going post-covid. It would create a good tour for UK bikers. Ride down France any route you like, across the Pyrennees, maybe the Picos, Santiago perhaps and then ferry back from Porto. That'd be a great trip.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

daveuprite wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:39 am
AlanHolt wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:43 pm

It would be interesting if they kept that route going post-covid. It would create a good tour for UK bikers. Ride down France any route you like, across the Pyrennees, maybe the Picos, Santiago perhaps and then ferry back from Porto. That'd be a great trip.
That would be a wonderful option I have to say... Easy get in a 7-10 day tour if wanted. I wonder how much longer the crossing would be then... 36hrs? The thought of a 36hr+ crossing of the Bay of Biscay would make me twitch somewhat!!

Porto looks a nicer place to spend a few days than Santander!! ;)
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Portugal rates similar to the UK at the minute and Western Europe cases are coming down, although still a way to go. Covid isn't going away this year and new variants will change the situation week by week regarding which colour traffic light each area is in. I can't foresee any blanket bans on travel (nobody's economy can afford it) so personally I would book it, make sure you're covered by Covid insurance, get your jabs, be prepared to change your plans and possibly lose your money in a worst case scenario. There really isn't any guarantees.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Portugal is picking up the pace which vaccinations, they announced on tv that they successfully vaccinated 129K people in one day yesterday.
But atm proof of a negative PCR test is still required on arrival, and passenger locator forms have to be completed online prior to arrival so you can show a QR code at immigration https://portugalcleanandsafe.pt/en/pass ... DNU-4WX8ao
There is also a public debate on the continued use of masks, but the government has made it clear that they will continue to be used for the foreseeable future
ErikGustav2

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Money, not medical reasons are opening up Southern Europe for external tourists.

Then plan was that travelling should require a proof vaccination.
This has been the statement all the time.

But now... all the is needed is a test.
Loosing money to require a prrof of vaccination.
The Hotel owners lobby opens the borders....
And not only for EU citizens. No especially for Britts.
Why ? Becouse that is were the majority of money comes from.
This happens in Portugal, Italy, Grece and soon Spain.
( 2 millions Britts are expected to come this summer to Portugal. Starting today)

They open up faster in Portugal, Italy and Greece, than Boris is doing in England.

Good for the Britts with a vacation without restrictions.
Just spread the Indian version of the Covid19 virtus over Europe.

I know who will pay for this.
=
Portugal opens the border to UK.
Spain is not open for tourists from outside EU.
The Portugal-Spain border is open.

Hm... Britts can fly to Portugal and take a car to Spain....

Return to “TRAVEL”