Continental updates please

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
daveuprite

Re: Continental updates please

Post by daveuprite »

pinball1008 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:39 pm Quote "Yeah I know there's a lot of caravan bashing out there, but they really are a good way of taking a cheap holiday in pretty decent conditions. Tracie and I are thinking about a camper-van when our horses are gone and we can travel freely. Looks like you could tour Europe for 5 years, then flog it for a 5 - 10 grand loss and save a fortune compared to hotels. But I'll be wanting one of those racks for a little Beta X-Trainer on the back... "

Dave, I take it you've the benefit of French citizenship then? Us not EU citizens have to make do with the 90 days in 180 for european travel :(
Well.. c'est compliqué, Pinball.. but we have just today got our W.A.R.P. cards (Withdrawal Agreement Residency Permits), by virtue of living here over 5 years. These replace our previous Titre De Sejour cards, which we had to get 2 years ago when brexit changed everything. Those cards required us to collate 5 years of tax returns, bills, translated copies of all key documents etc etc etc - all hassle that's been required since we were denied the simplicity of holding an EU passport due to brexit.

Which means that, as French residents, we can travel around France for an unlimited time period; but because we still have UK passports (i.e. 3rd country non-EU passports) we are limited to a stay of 90 days in any 180 day period for visits to other EU countries. In practice, if we were to tour in a camper van we could drive from our home to Spain (one day, no problem) and stay there for let's say a month, drive back into France, cross over into Italy for let's say a month, and return via Austria, Switzerland and Germany over a month long period and return home to France - all legally within the 90/180 terms. But we could not then do any further foreign EU trips for a while obviously.

However we have the advantage of being based in central France to start with. It'll be more restrictive for UK brits whose clock starts ticking the moment they come off the ferry in Northern France. There is even a calculator App that can help you work it out.

The Covid travel restrictions are currently masking the underlying inconveniences and restrictions that result from brexit, so not that many are experiencing them yet, but eventually travelers will work out for themselves through bitter experience that the previous free movement system was massively better. Well, that's obvious and goes without saying really.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

moto al wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:14 pm
moto al wrote:i know this is some will totaly will disagree many motorhomes come to scotland ,unforunately they dont contribute to the local ecnomy ,they fuel up at the cheep supermarkets ,also they buy all their food ,and drink ,they block our roads camp in passing places ,and leave all there MERD BEHIND . CRETINS . AL
It’s a free country
so this isOK. GLEN COE LAST WEEK
IMG_E1736.JPG
IMG_E1737.JPG
IMG_E1738.JPG
Grass will grow back, nae bother
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
dave h

Post by dave h »

daveuprite wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:26 pm
pinball1008 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:39 pm Quote "Yeah I know there's a lot of caravan bashing out there, but they really are a good way of taking a cheap holiday in pretty decent conditions. Tracie and I are thinking about a camper-van when our horses are gone and we can travel freely. Looks like you could tour Europe for 5 years, then flog it for a 5 - 10 grand loss and save a fortune compared to hotels. But I'll be wanting one of those racks for a little Beta X-Trainer on the back... "

Dave, I take it you've the benefit of French citizenship then? Us not EU citizens have to make do with the 90 days in 180 for european travel :(
Well.. c'est compliqué, Pinball.. but we have just today got our W.A.R.P. cards (Withdrawal Agreement Residency Permits), by virtue of living here over 5 years. These replace our previous Titre De Sejour cards, which we had to get 2 years ago when brexit changed everything. Those cards required us to collate 5 years of tax returns, bills, translated copies of all key documents etc etc etc - all hassle that's been required since we were denied the simplicity of holding an EU passport due to brexit.

Which means that, as French residents, we can travel around France for an unlimited time period; but because we still have UK passports (i.e. 3rd country non-EU passports) we are limited to a stay of 90 days in any 180 day period for visits to other EU countries. In practice, if we were to tour in a camper van we could drive from our home to Spain (one day, no problem) and stay there for let's say a month, drive back into France, cross over into Italy for let's say a month, and return via Austria, Switzerland and Germany over a month long period and return home to France - all legally within the 90/180 terms. But we could not then do any further foreign EU trips for a while obviously.

However we have the advantage of being based in central France to start with. It'll be more restrictive for UK brits whose clock starts ticking the moment they come off the ferry in Northern France. There is even a calculator App that can help you work it out.

The Covid travel restrictions are currently masking the underlying inconveniences and restrictions that result from brexit, so not that many are experiencing them yet, but eventually travelers will work out for themselves through bitter experience that the previous free movement system was massively better. Well, that's obvious and goes without saying really.

If 90 days in 180 isn't enough maybe the UK may not be the place to base,

dave.
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

It's not where you're based Dave H, it's the passport you carry that limits your travel.
Not all those wandering are lost
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

pinball1008 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:13 pm It's not where you're based Dave H, it's the passport you carry that limits your travel.
Yep - and of course as a UK passport holder you can't just 'choose your base' like you used to before brexit. The entire concept of choosing where to live in Europe changed for brits on 1st Jan this year. Unless of course your grandfather was Irish, or your mother happened to give birth to you in Germany before immediately moving to England! Such is the arbitrary and absurd nature of 'citizenship'.

Anyway, back to covid travel restrictions. The article in the post above this one sets out the latest re. France.
moto al

Post by moto al »

IMG_E1765.JPG
IMG_E1765.JPG (34.04 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
moto al
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

FRANCE:

From tomorrow masks are not obligatory outdoors.

From Sunday the curfew ends altogether.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Good news
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Norway is opening up slightly from July 5th, but still not open for general tourism.
https://www.fhi.no/en/op/novel-coronavi ... l-covid19/

Return to “TRAVEL”