Continental updates please

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
byewayrider

Re: Continental updates please

Post by byewayrider »

Wait till you try and order a food delivery.. They now ask if your in quarentine... Its either left in a wheelbarrow if you have one or a big plastic tubb..... You think you had the plague lol..... My friends had their tests collected from home..... Enjoy uk daytime TV..... Its seriously suicidal..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
gbags

Post by gbags »

AlanHolt wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:18 am
daveuprite wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:58 am
AlanHolt wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:48 am In Spain, daily confirmed new cases have increased by 50% in the past 4 days in line with France and Italy. I'm getting the ferry to the UK this week, so I won't be 'on the ground' so to speak, but i'll still get information from the same sources.
So what's involved in getting that ferry, Alan? Any covid testing? Are you going direct from Spain or through France?
I need to get a PCR test 72hrs prior to leaving Spain. This means that I have to travel 70 minutes to Tortosa and pay €90 for the test. That in itself involves making a prior appointment, completing a form justifying my movements as it involves crossing an internal border. The results come through by email in 24-48hrs (my friend got his negative result in 26hrs), and that allows me to get on the ferry (or plane). I'll be travelling from Santander to Portsmouth as its easier than driving through France in the current climate. Prior to boarding, I must book and pay for my two UK covid quarantine tests (£210) and complete my passenger locator form.

So the total cost of a one way journey, travelling on my own in my Passat estate, MTB on the roof and towing a 3m x 2m motorbike trailer.
£409 for the ferry
£99 for the cabin
£80 for the PCR test in Spain
£210 for the covid tests in the UK

I wish I could stay in Spain, but its impossible to support myself now. Luckily, I have residency and property, and remain self-employed in Spain, so I can return at any point in the next 6 months if I choose to. If I stay in the UK more than 6 months, I lose my residency.
Good info, thanks.
But if your Spanish pre-ferry test comes up positive, will you lose money on the sailing and Brit tests, or get it reimbursed?
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I didn't realise this was going to be your one way trip to the UK. Best of luck for the future Alan. Hopefully your luck will change. :D
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

gbags wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:13 pm
Good info, thanks.
But if your Spanish pre-ferry test comes up positive, will you lose money on the sailing and Brit tests, or get it reimbursed?
I can wait until I get a negative result, then book the ferry and Brit tests, it cheaper to risk losing the cost of the test than to lose the cost of the ferry.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

daveuprite wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:53 pm I didn't realise this was going to be your one way trip to the UK. Best of luck for the future Alan. Hopefully your luck will change. :D
Well the farm in Spain is being sold, neither myself or my ex want it. Once thats gone, to remain resident, I would have to buy somewhere else or rent somewhere, but that leaves me with the same problem of finding work here. Its all become too complicated and no longer enjoyable.

My trip to the UK was originally just to renew my HGV licence and DQC training, then return to Spain to find work, but I think my short term prospects are better in the UK. Depending on how much money I get from the sale of the farm, I may have more options, but thats at least a few months away. As its only a few quid extra to take the bike on a trailer, I've decided to take everything back to the UK and see what happens. I can always drive it all back over here if that proves to be the better option.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Brittany Ferries have just confirmed they will accept 3 types of covid tests.
Good afternoon

I can confirm it can be a PCR, LAMP or Antigen test.

Yours sincerely
Julie
Passenger services
berin

Post by berin »

AlanHolt wrote:
daveuprite wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:58 am
AlanHolt wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:48 am In Spain, daily confirmed new cases have increased by 50% in the past 4 days in line with France and Italy. I'm getting the ferry to the UK this week, so I won't be 'on the ground' so to speak, but i'll still get information from the same sources.
So what's involved in getting that ferry, Alan? Any covid testing? Are you going direct from Spain or through France?
I need to get a PCR test 72hrs prior to leaving Spain. This means that I have to travel 70 minutes to Tortosa and pay €90 for the test. That in itself involves making a prior appointment, completing a form justifying my movements as it involves crossing an internal border. The results come through by email in 24-48hrs (my friend got his negative result in 26hrs), and that allows me to get on the ferry (or plane). I'll be travelling from Santander to Portsmouth as its easier than driving through France in the current climate. Prior to boarding, I must book and pay for my two UK covid quarantine tests (£210) and complete my passenger locator form.

So the total cost of a one way journey, travelling on my own in my Passat estate, MTB on the roof and towing a 3m x 2m motorbike trailer.
£409 for the ferry
£99 for the cabin
£80 for the PCR test in Spain
£210 for the covid tests in the UK

I wish I could stay in Spain, but its impossible to support myself now. Luckily, I have residency and property, and remain self-employed in Spain, so I can return at any point in the next 6 months if I choose to. If I stay in the UK more than 6 months, I lose my residency.
Best hope none of your tests are positive. This is what people seem to forget when they say it’s just a test needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 20365.html

The UK considers placing France on the Red list.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Which French departments might go into lockdown next? It's basically the North, East and Southern edges of L'Hexagon.

It's speculation, but based on some sensible assumptions:

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French- ... Y.facebook
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Spain:
Coronavirus latest:
- Incidence rate on the rise in 12 of Spain's 17 regions
- 5,516 new cases reported and 201 deaths added to official toll in one day
- Hospitals still under pressure, with 20% of ICU beds occupied by Covid-19 patients
- Authorities warn public to take "maximum precautions" ahead of Easter week

In the same week, whilst Spanish residents are confined to their region, Spain is opening up its borders to foreigners who want to come for holidays. As the UK makes foreign holidays illegal, Spain relaxes its restriction on UK residents coming to Spain for holidays.

And the police are stopping more and more British registered vehicles to check whether the occupants have residency as the last ferry to leave Spain within the 90 day limit that started on the 1st January 2021 is the 31st March 2021. Those overstaying risk a fine of up to €10,000 and a 3 year ban on re-entering the Schengen area.

Return to “TRAVEL”