Continental updates please

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
flamair

Re: Continental updates please

Post by flamair »

Barcelona Pat wrote:Spain opening up to UK visitors from tomorrow - Monday 24 May. Just looking at the Spanish government´s website, there is no mention of vaccination or PCR requirements. There is the reminder that people traveling have to comply with post-Brexit visa requirements (eg if not a tourist).

While no doubt a welcome move for some, can´t help thinking this is premature. Infection rates in Spain are falling, but nowhere near as low yet as the UK. The vaccination programme has finally kicked into gear, but again is still running behind that in the UK. Plus the concerns over other strains in the UK may result in the Spanish govermment having to shift the UK into the catagory of 'other nations' for which its opening up from 7 June, and for which there are vaccination / PCR test requirements.

So, encouraging signs, but please keep checking official sites before making any bookings - and include the UK´s rules in that - for example, as it stands there are still requirements to enter the UK, so factor in the costs of PCR tests and isolation days etc for your return.

Also, as yet there doesn´t appear to be any relaxation of the mask wearing rules here. Essentially you have to wear one when out in public - with exceptions for when in the act of eating, drinking smoking. So if you are coming, pack a good supply and put up with it (we have to!).

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados ... 3%B1a.aspx
Scroll down a little on this webpage - you´ll see an option for English language
Ironic how mask wearing in Spsin is very draconian - but it hasn't really affected levels of infection.

Says a lot about the point (lessness) of wearing them!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

flamair wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:13 am
Barcelona Pat wrote:Spain opening up to UK visitors from tomorrow - Monday 24 May. Just looking at the Spanish government´s website, there is no mention of vaccination or PCR requirements. There is the reminder that people traveling have to comply with post-Brexit visa requirements (eg if not a tourist).

While no doubt a welcome move for some, can´t help thinking this is premature. Infection rates in Spain are falling, but nowhere near as low yet as the UK. The vaccination programme has finally kicked into gear, but again is still running behind that in the UK. Plus the concerns over other strains in the UK may result in the Spanish govermment having to shift the UK into the catagory of 'other nations' for which its opening up from 7 June, and for which there are vaccination / PCR test requirements.

So, encouraging signs, but please keep checking official sites before making any bookings - and include the UK´s rules in that - for example, as it stands there are still requirements to enter the UK, so factor in the costs of PCR tests and isolation days etc for your return.

Also, as yet there doesn´t appear to be any relaxation of the mask wearing rules here. Essentially you have to wear one when out in public - with exceptions for when in the act of eating, drinking smoking. So if you are coming, pack a good supply and put up with it (we have to!).

Scroll down a little on this webpage - you´ll see an option for English language
Ironic how mask wearing in Spsin is very draconian - but it hasn't really affected levels of infection.

Ridiculous post. Where's your evidence? How do you know that infection levels would not have been much higher without them? You don't. I can bring multiple well-researched sources of a link between mask-wearing and infection reduction. You can't bring the opposite (because it doesn't exist). Why on earth do you think surgeons wear masks in operating theaters? As a costume?

You seem to have applied an anti-mask attitude to a situation without showing any causal link between the two variables, perhaps in the hope that others will agree with this kind of scientific illiteracy. Knock it on the head, please.

I know that the OP would prefer that we stick to info about covid and travel, which is all well and good, but this kind of nonsense mustn't be allowed to slip through unchallenged. There are forums and websites elsewhere where conspiracy nonsense thrives and everyone shares a love of this poppycock. Let's not have it on here eh?
flamair

Post by flamair »

daveuprite wrote:
flamair wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:13 am

Ridiculous post. Where's your evidence? How do you know that infection levels would not have been much higher without them? You don't. I can bring multiple well-researched sources of a link between mask-wearing and infection reduction. You can't bring the opposite (because it doesn't exist). Why on earth do you think surgeons wear masks in operating theaters? As a costume?

You seem to have applied an anti-mask attitude to a situation without showing any causal link between the two variables, perhaps in the hope that others will agree with this kind of scientific illiteracy. Knock it on the head, please.

I know that the OP would prefer that we stick to info about covid and travel, which is all well and good, but this kind of nonsense mustn't be allowed to slip through unchallenged. There are forums and websites elsewhere where conspiracy nonsense thrives and everyone shares a love of this poppycock. Let's not have it on here eh?
Oh dear. Knickers in a twist here.

There is a great deal of difference between hospital staff wearing a mask and wearing one on a beach outside. The latter is utterly pointless - and it's very easy to find scientific evidence to suggest mask wearing outside is unnecessary except in a few exceptional circumstances. That said, transmission of Covid has always been at it's worst in institutions where PPE has been compulsory, though granted with high infection levels. This suggests that PPE even when worn correctly by medical staff is still limited in the protection it gives.

Also, most do not wear masks correctly, nor hygienically.

They are of use in some situations certainly.

But a blanket wearing of them outside is just political and has no real scientific value. Indeed it actually discredit their usage in some respects.

Anyhow.. back to the thread.

Updates on travel will be welcomed by me - especially from those that are resident in the country concerned.

Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Here's the latest UK-to-France travel situation - in English:

https://www.frenchentree.com/news/trave ... 9abe401de4
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Spain has extended its ERTE (UK furlough equivalent) job retention payments until the end of September 2021, which is when they now expect a return to 'normal'. 558,000 people are still receiving ERTE payments, and Spains unemployment figure is currently 16%.

In a GMB survey, a third of Brits who will travel to amber list countried said they won't quarantine when they return to the UK -
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
johnnyboxer

Continental updates please

Post by johnnyboxer »

AlanHolt wrote:
In a GMB survey, a third of Brits who will travel to amber list countried said they won't quarantine when they return to the UK -
That’s handy Image
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

daveuprite wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:25 pm Here's the latest UK-to-France travel situation - in English:

https://www.frenchentree.com/news/trave ... 9abe401de4
Came across this on MSN.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslond ... p#comments
Any truth in it? Not that we'll be going to France this year as we've decided to put it off until next year when hopefully it will be a better situation.
One of the gites that has given me a credit note say it will be void after 31/12/21 which is a shame. That's in https://www.gites-de-france-anjou.com/fr/ one in Brittany has refunded me https://www.gites-de-france.com/en/bret ... tes-darmor and the one in Limousin has said it'll be valid until 2023 https://www.gites-de-france.com/fr/limousin
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

If you get stuck with the bookings you've made but it turns out that you are able to travel anyway, Billy, consider staying with Chris at Motobreaks and/or Phil at Jax Shak. Both of them are open for business. Nicely spaced too, so you can do a good day's touring around between them. You could even camp in our garden if you wanted to.
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Thanks for the idea Dave.
Unfortunately my missus doesn't camp anymore and prefers the caravan that we tow behind my Transit van with bike on board. I still do the odd bit of camping though with some of the XS1100 Owners. Must admit caravanning is luxury compared.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Billy Bananahead wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:29 pm Thanks for the idea Dave.
Unfortunately my missus doesn't camp anymore and prefers the caravan that we tow behind my Transit van with bike on board. I still do the odd bit of camping though with some of the XS1100 Owners. Must admit caravanning is luxury compared.
Yeah I know there's a lot of caravan bashing out there, but they really are a good way of taking a cheap holiday in pretty decent conditions. Tracie and I are thinking about a camper-van when our horses are gone and we can travel freely. Looks like you could tour Europe for 5 years, then flog it for a 5 - 10 grand loss and save a fortune compared to hotels. But I'll be wanting one of those racks for a little Beta X-Trainer on the back... :D

Return to “TRAVEL”