ABR Coast to coast ride

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
dibbs

ABR Coast to coast ride

Post by dibbs »

So a few of us are planning the coast to coast ride that Bryn posted in the mag and I have a question. We plan to ride the gravel track along the side of the Clarewen reservoir but once at the top end is there another way to get to the other byway that takes you back to the main road as on an OS map I can’t see any way of joining the two together!
60312C86-DC07-4E12-B4B9-89403EB224B9.png
60312C86-DC07-4E12-B4B9-89403EB224B9.png (478.32 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
Jak*

Re: ABR Coast to coast ride

Post by Jak* »

I did this a few years ago and there is no legal way of joining the two. When we did it we were lucky the farmer was there and with a cheery wave opened the gate and waved us through. If the gate is shut you have to go back the way you came. It is a nice track though.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

So if the farmer is there and permission given etc could we ride along the track over the bridge and pick up the red dotted line (ORPA i think) and then meet up with the other byway on the right hand side?
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Your English so go for it mate.... Depends on time of day and direction of travel.... Wait till nearer the time... Boboneleg is the man in the know.... When you going?... Has Essex let you out yet?
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

the last time the local boys were up there they were turned around by a couple of bobbies, so i suggest having a plan B especially if you intend it on a weekend. There is a youtube MX crew from over the border riding up there causing a load of problems and gaining a load of enemies, and making the area a hotspot.
No5

Post by No5 »

dibbs wrote:So if the farmer is there and permission given etc could we ride along the track over the bridge and pick up the red dotted line (ORPA i think) and then meet up with the other byway on the right hand side?
I'll give you permission Phil if I'm there. ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Hahaha Russ sadly Essex still has the lurgy! I will be going when its warmer, not sure when that will be yet! Paul those bloody cross border scumbags are a pain arent they! Messing it up for the rest of us. And Karl perhaps you should come with us as you can talk shop the the farmer whilst we all slip past lol......

Ah well if it's not possible then at least it will be a sscenic ride back again hey ho!

Thanks all
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

if i remembers right .. the farmer does not own the right of way through his land (farm) as it is a BOAT, and it is not a permissive row.? But i believe he does own the bridge and gate ... (but needs verifying?) .. so I expect you would need permission to use the bridge .. but there is a ford anyway.

For a fact .. the Elan Valley Trust own the bit of track shown with red dots .. and they is very possessive !! .. that's why (I believe) there were and are cops there. I have heard of riders `getting permission` from the Trust at the Elan Valley Centre, at the bottom of the Caban Coch dam?/ Elan Village ... but i dnot know if that is true.. or if it still applies, as the Trust has, apparently, gone a bit bolshie?

I can't tell you lot wot to do ... but what i do is ride the reservoir track carefully, with respect, and carry on through the farm gate .. but comply immediately with any thing like cops or farmers or Trust landrovers telling you to stop and obey (or be exterminated? lol).

if that means turning around, just do it and dont argue
.. just give my name .. (they will lafff and tell you to piss orff) lol :lol:

the other Boat .. `to the right` .. is Monks Trod ... very very boggy, apparently .. (lose ya bike disappeared type boggy) and is officially no go, as you need permission only for 15 allowed set days per years or something stupit like that. .. but there was talk of hardening it up for access, but not heard lately.

ps .. if one of you hooligans wants to lend me a really nice trail bike (of my choice) I will lead you through :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) ... you can slip past while i am beaten up by the Guarda, too :D :? 8-) :lol:
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Thanks for the info Gary. Ive heard of this infamous 'Monks Trod' so sounds like a ride back to the car park is in order, as i dont want to lose the bike in a welsh bog its a long walk home to Essex :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “TRAVEL”