For those who compete on two wheels in Europe

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Jak*

Re: For those who compete on two wheels in Europe

Post by Jak* »

I suppose discussions about financial regulations probably belong in a different thread. This is about another, to most of us unforeseen consequence of Brexit. The relatively small number of people who will suffer as a direct consequence might seem insignificant, however I would assume that something similar applies to racing cars. This is one of the areas where we are actually world leaders and the racing car industry employs a lot of people in a number of quite small businesses and brings a lot of money in. If legislation like this means that manufacturers are less able to test their products in a competitive environment it will have a knock on effect and may lead to some of these businesses relocating.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

It's not a new thing. Carnets are required by global travellers in some countries even for registered vehicles. The purpose is to prevent the sale of the vehicle 'in country' without import duty being paid.
The UK didn't have a registration scheme/requirement for lorry trailers, so pre 1993 every British artic going abroad hd to have a carnet for the trailer. Pre Brexit, the UK government changed the law here so you can register a trailer (although it's not compulsory) to avoid needing a carnet.
I wonder if this will impact on caravaners etc?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Jak* wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:45 am I suppose discussions about financial regulations probably belong in a different thread. This is about another, to most of us unforeseen consequence of Brexit. The relatively small number of people who will suffer as a direct consequence might seem insignificant, however I would assume that something similar applies to racing cars. This is one of the areas where we are actually world leaders and the racing car industry employs a lot of people in a number of quite small businesses and brings a lot of money in. If legislation like this means that manufacturers are less able to test their products in a competitive environment it will have a knock on effect and may lead to some of these businesses relocating.

The motorcycle racing industry seems to be centred on Spain...unsurprising given there are plenty of circuits and the weather stays warmer for longer in the off-season. I wonder if car racing will follow?

Still, in other news, according to Brexiteers the German economy is reeling because Cadbury's Dairy Milk production is relocating to the UK. Cadbury's owner Mondelez International says no new jobs will be created in the UK...BUT IT'S A VICTORY...WE'VE BEATEN THE HUN...ONE WORLD CUP AND TWO WORLD WARS...DAKKKER DAKKER DAKKER!
Sorry, don't know what came over me there....must go, Princess Nut Nut says I've got to change little Nut Nut's nappy. Gove, sort this out will you!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

johnnyboxer wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:12 am
garyboy wrote:surely this is another example of the EU making life difficult for brexit UK?

e.g. .. the EU is trying to cut out the UK in financial services, moving them to brussels, [today on news.]

we are not even given equal status to other `third countries`
they just being awkward bastards ... teach us a lesson .. frighten the bejesus out of other member states that really want `out`? .. and ... most importantly .. piss off the british biking fraternity !!!! gosh !!!!

Eventually it will all be resolved .. but i fear it will take `some time` .. such is the fury and revenge-vindictiveness , of the EU dictators., plus their greed at grabbing our lost assets?

as said tonight on tv ... "its dog eat dog .. and the EU is a far bigger dog" (kevin maguire)

also .. all this will discredit boris and the tory party, make uk people (and also `Bikers`) discontent and horrified ... so that we will vote in the turncoat anti democratic labour party, who love the eu dictators, and would overturn brexit .. plead for re-membership and lose sovereignty and the opportunity for future greatness of these wonderful isles???

perhaps our fabulous vaccines will make us the sole survivors of this world war, started by the chinese in a wuhan lab :lol: 8-) 8-) .. [mind, trade wont be so global then???]
You do talk some complete claptrap

Where do you dream all that up ?

the TRUTH comes to me .. not as an inspiration .. but as an obvious fact that i am astounded that some (a lot) of people cannot see?

so stuck up their own (thing) that no other view is available ?? :D

ps
my biggest fault (of many) is that i have `loyalty` .. a great disadvantage in this world ... i have come to (eventually) understand.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Having used an ATA Carnet many times to take a vehicle in and out of Morocco carrying multiple motorcycles all be it the last time was 2016 my experience is.

The vehicle carrying the bikes four ant go on the Carnet.
The owner of each bike doesn’t have to be travelling in the vehicle with their bike.
The Carnet can be for a single trip or up to 12 months for multiple trips. The 12 month option only works if all of the bikes are transported together each time.
The price of the Carnet is set by the value of the goods going on it.
The bikes can be recorded on the Carnet using the frame number.
You are advised to include other equipment such as a generator and tools etc.
Any deposit paid is returned when you return the Carnet to the issuer. As long as you have got the required customs stamps at the correct times.

If you buy a bike for £8000 it’s won’t be worth £8000 by the time you set of to the event when it’s a couple of months old. It’ll be worth ????? £6000?
That brings the required deposit down a tad.

The points above are facts from when I used an ATA Carnet many times up until February 2016. Not an “I guess” and not “ Pub Talk”.

The type of Carnet used for temporary importation of the vehicle that you are driving/riding is slightly different and is a CPD version and not the ATA.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Rob Andrews 'The Inside Line' is quite interesting on the subject.

Racing in pre-1992 Europe, he had to have carnets for his race bikes.

Typically, he'd have five bikes at the start of the season...and it made life a lot easier if they 'shared' frame numbers so the same carnet could be used throughout the season!

IIRC Dunlop (when based in the UK) had to count all the tyres carried to races in and out of Europe...they had to pay duty on any that were left behind.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Snaf MKII wrote:Copied from TBM?
Rust mag now
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

garyboy wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:12 am
garyboy wrote:surely this is another example of the EU making life difficult for brexit UK?

e.g. .. the EU is trying to cut out the UK in financial services, moving them to brussels, [today on news.]

they just being awkward bastards ... teach us a lesson .. frighten the bejesus out of other member states that really want `out`? .. and ... most importantly .. piss off the british biking fraternity !!!! gosh !!!!

Eventually it will all be resolved .. but i fear it will take `some time` .. such is the fury and revenge-vindictiveness , of the EU dictators., plus their greed at grabbing our lost assets?

as said tonight on tv ... "its dog eat dog .. and the EU is a far bigger dog" (kevin maguire)

also .. all this will discredit boris and the tory party, make uk people (and also `Bikers`) discontent and horrified ... so that we will vote in the turncoat anti democratic labour party, who love the eu dictators, and would overturn brexit .. plead for re-membership and lose sovereignty and the opportunity for future greatness of these wonderful isles???

perhaps our fabulous vaccines will make us the sole survivors of this world war, started by the chinese in a wuhan lab :lol: 8-) 8-) .. [mind, trade wont be so global then???]
You do talk some complete claptrap

Where do you dream all that up ?

the TRUTH comes to me .. not as an inspiration .. but as an obvious fact that i am astounded that some (a lot) of people cannot see?

so stuck up their own (thing) that no other view is available ?? :D

ps
my biggest fault (of many) is that i have `loyalty` .. a great disadvantage in this world ... i have come to (eventually) understand.
Your posts get more bizarre each day
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Chunkychops

Post by Chunkychops »

garyboy wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:21 am surely this is another example of the EU making life difficult for brexit UK?

I think it's time your medication was upped
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

At least now it's only one carnet for most of the Europe, back in the day a trip to Romania with van/trailer/rally car took two and a half days with all the customs at each border. Even a trip to Belgium via France had a small forest felled for the paperwork.
I seem to recall that pre '92 you only had to do this if your were a business, private individuals could get away with using a temporary admission declaration which varied from as little as just turning up and saying you're bringing it all back again within a certain period to a full declaration. Somewhere in France there is a caravan, some picnic tables and two motorcycles that I promised to bring back in about 1986.

Return to “TRAVEL”