Tier 4 Riding?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
dibbs

Tier 4 Riding?

Post by dibbs »

So I find myself in a tier 4 area of Essex, the question is can one go for a ride within their area for the purpose of exercise? i cant find anything on the www on this subject yet! What's all you're perception of the rules? :?
Tonibe63

Re: Tier 4 Riding?

Post by Tonibe63 »

My perception is that you can use your bike to ride to a public open space to carry out exercise ie walking etc but personally I don't perceive going for a rideout is ok.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

I think it's clear that you can't/shouldn't leave your area.
If you live in a tier 4 area, you must stay at home. You must not leave your home to travel unless for work, education or other legally permitted reasons. If you need to travel you should stay local - meaning avoiding travelling outside of your village, town or the part of a city where you live - and look to reduce the number of journeys you make overall. The list of reasons you can leave your home and area include, but are not limited to:

work, where you cannot work from home
accessing education and for caring responsibilities
visiting those in your support bubble - or your childcare bubble for childcare
visiting hospital, GP and other medical appointments or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health
buying goods or services from premises that are open in Tier 4 areas, including essential retail, but these should be within your local area wherever possible
spending time or exercising outdoors. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your Tier 4 area to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)
attending the care and exercise of a pet, or veterinary services
If you need to travel, walk or cycle where possible, and plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes on public transport. This will allow you to practise social distancing while you travel.[/i]
Last edited by Snaf MKII on Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Andrew Dalton ( White Dalton Motorcycle Solicitors) posted an article on this subject and cited a Japanese Professor who published a paper that said motorcycling is a form of exercise.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

PaulinBont wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:13 pm Andrew Dalton ( White Dalton Motorcycle Solicitors) posted an article on this subject and cited a Japanese Professor who published a paper that said motorcycling is a form of exercise.
OK yes you can do it but it must be local where ever possible and in this case local has been defined as within the confines of your town, village or city area, I could walk as far as I can go quicker than getting kitted up and getting the bike out.
Having said that a local youth has been exercising all day entirely within the village, mostly on his back wheel with no silencer fitted so it is possible.
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

RoSPA have confirmed advanced training can continue in Tier 4, it might be worth joining your local group 😉
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

You should have said mate I could have lent you my French plate... Then ride around Dover... Would have been fun to see....

Stay at home and polish the bike it'll soon be January... Ps I'm out the country till then boose cruise.
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Just keep a piece of paper with "Aspirin & toothpaste" written on it in your pocket & in the massively unlikely event you're stopped for riding on your own with your head in a large piece of plastic, produce it & say "I'm just nipping to the shops for these essentials Ossifer and took the chance to go the long way there".....

My conscience will be clear when I'm on my bike...
simonw

Post by simonw »

Irrespective of the rights/wrongs/legality etc of it all, take extra care. You really don't want to end up in a hospital (especially here in the South East) right now. They're absolutely heaving, so getting fixed will not be straightforward or easy, and with 1 in 6 covid infections being acquired in hospital previously (not sure when that data is up to) you don't have great odds!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

1 in 4 last i heard, but that may be in wales .. Hospitals are the most unhealthy places you can visit !! lol.

All these covid rules and tiers really piss me off .. i just don't agree with the overall strategy of locking places / businesses and not just the relevant people, (vulnerable and infected). .. but if you are stupid enough (like me) or unlucky enough (like me) to get pulled up .. then there are consequences (unnerving word that)

unless you are a wheelchair user, or similar, locally, it is going to be hard to justify to a young keen thrusting promotion seeking ossifer that our bike ride is justified, 50 miles from home, `to get to a place of exercise` ..
and there seems to be some doubt if biking is exercise, anyway .. will the guys that say it IS be willing to pay your fine? when you come before judge Jeffries?

Return to “TRAVEL”