What if.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: What if.

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Dark Knight wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:16 pm Phils place looks to have plenty of character and should be cheap to run with low council tax.
There is no doubt that the coming years will be full of challenges but I think that we are used to facing challenges in our line of business.
On the subject of Brexit, I was told that the EU had been forcing us to place work abroad, thus losing jobs in country.
Would be difficult to verify this I suspect.
I know that Boris does not come over very well, but he is a master negotiator.
Got this yesterday...Brexit is hitting those least able to afford it the hardest. My sympathy for them is somewhat tempered by the knowledge that many of those picking up their P45s were turkeys who voted for Christmas.

"The MANN+HUMMEL Group, a leading filtration expert, proposes to close its main manufacturing facility at Hilton Cross Business Park in Wolverhampton, United Kingdom, as it continues to review its operational footprint. With the closing of this Wolverhampton production facility, all manufacture will be relocated within the European MANN+HUMMEL network.

"The decision will affect around 230 employees. The manufacturing operations are expected to be fully closed by the end of 2022."
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

I believe that we are in this situation, declining industry, generally low wages, poor infrastructure is due to the policies of past goverments.
In the 1960.s when I started work as an apprentice at a world leading company called Ferranti Ltd (at £2.80 a week, cash in hand at the end of the week) the landscape was completely different, with Britain having many world leading companies.
Then things changed over the years, we lost our edge and many companies were taken over, usually by American companies, assets pilaged and then closed down.
This country is going to end up as only a tourist destiation and that means low wages for most of the population.
It seems strange that Boris is increasing spending on the Services when in the future you will have to reduce them as the Ecomeny shrinks.
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I to started in the late 60s as an apprentice joiner on £3.17s a week, when having a trade meant something, I worked in local govt for many years & was never out of work luckily I’ve a decent local govt pension, my old age pension (albeit reduced as I was “contracted out” never knew what that meant) I still work part-time 12hrs a week, so I haven’t been affected luckily by the COVID effect but I think it’s up to us that’s comfortably off to help where we can by spending where we can to keep the economy going as a mate of mine who’s long gone used to say “there’s no pockets in shrouds” :D If we are heading for the rocks first thing that should’ve been chopped or reduced is HS2 to be honest.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:
Dark Knight wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:16 pm Phils place looks to have plenty of character and should be cheap to run with low council tax.
There is no doubt that the coming years will be full of challenges but I think that we are used to facing challenges in our line of business.
On the subject of Brexit, I was told that the EU had been forcing us to place work abroad, thus losing jobs in country.
Would be difficult to verify this I suspect.
I know that Boris does not come over very well, but he is a master negotiator.
Got this yesterday...Brexit is hitting those least able to afford it the hardest. My sympathy for them is somewhat tempered by the knowledge that many of those picking up their P45s were turkeys who voted for Christmas.

"The MANN+HUMMEL Group, a leading filtration expert, proposes to close its main manufacturing facility at Hilton Cross Business Park in Wolverhampton, United Kingdom, as it continues to review its operational footprint. With the closing of this Wolverhampton production facility, all manufacture will be relocated within the European MANN+HUMMEL network.

"The decision will affect around 230 employees. The manufacturing operations are expected to be fully closed by the end of 2022."
I fear we will see a lot more of this

European businesses pulling out of Britain
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

And British businesses too. Arch Brexiteer Jim Ratcliffe has relocated all production of his Land Rover looky-likey to a factory on the Franco-German border, at the heart of the EU he campaigned for us to leave.
Following the Brexit vote, his company Ineos, announced its confidence in Britain, and a €3 bn investment in a new petrochemical plant in Belgium. Don't believe what they say, look at where they invest their money!
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

It’s becoming much harder to get an Irish passport.
I’ve always had one, never an English one although I was born in England. My siblings children are trying to get them but it’s not easy with only 1 parent eligible.
Years ago my wife would have qualified just by marrying me but now she will have to go and live in Ireland for 3 years before applying - something we are considering.
Strangely I got a letter from the government saying I have to pay £26 if I want to continue working in Britain - obviously the tax office and immigration department don’t talk to each other :lol:

Someone asked me the other day why I had always had an Irish passport. When I was a kid I travelled on my mum’s passport, my parents had a house in Spain so we went there a lot. It was back in the days of British and ‘other passport’ lanes. Usually my mum was the only non British passport holder on the Britain to Spain flights so we avoided the queue. I thought this was great so when I was old enough to get a passport I got an Irish one.
The system had changed by then but, after all these years, I may get to jump the queue yet :D

Return to “TRAVEL”