Mini European Tour Anyone?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
bikenav

Re: Mini European Tour Anyone?

Post by bikenav »

My thoughts, there will always be a more spectacular pass... over there somewhere, dont worry about it pick you route, dont get hung up about it, go and you will enjoy.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Mickdb1 wrote:I recon the trail off top of stevio to CH is Umbrail Johnny (unless it has a dual identity = like stiffjoch
Galvia is a nice pass too but when I visited I tried to accommodate Samaun / Stelvio /Livignio /furka /Albula = make a great big day out :mrgreen:
That’s the one, think it has 2 names, on Google maps Mick
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I highly recommend Slovenia for a few days; the pass from Austria into Kranjsa Gora is nice. Lake Bohinj is lovely and quieter than Lake Bled which can be rammed with tourists.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

PaulinBont wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:24 pm I highly recommend Slovenia for a few days; the pass from Austria into Kranjsa Gora is nice. Lake Bohinj is lovely and quieter than Lake Bled which can be rammed with tourists.
Agree, Slovenia is beautiful. Mount Mangart is a dead end toll road (about £3), is brilliant and is just off the Predil Pass.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
nickoff

Post by nickoff »

For those that have shown an interest on this and a couple of other forums don't worry if nothing has happened in the past week or so. I'm still working on a route, amongst other things, to take in a couple of suggestions. The first half of the trip, getting to Budapest is more or less sorted. Someone has asked about visiting the British Forces graveyards on the way back to Calais to pay our respects. Obviously the time factor will be a priority for some so I think a lot of the return trip could be on Auto-Routes but not a necessity for all. Will post an update hopefully before Christmas.

Nick.
gbags

Post by gbags »

Talking of time factor, how long do you plan to take?
nickoff

Post by nickoff »

gbags wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:04 pm Talking of time factor, how long do you plan to take?
2 weeks from about 28th of July all being well.
v8mark

Post by v8mark »

keep us posted on route and dates loving the input , there are so many great routes ,
nickoff

Post by nickoff »

I've been looking at various routes and I'm thinking of Calais to Dijon for the first day. About 368 miles, 7 hours or so, on the back roads, or 353 miles, 5 hours on the Autoroutes. Possibly stop for the night. Then Dijon to Ulrichen ( Switzerland ) 230 miles. We can then go over the Furka Pass or the Nufenen Pass. Could even manage both without too much trouble :)
Find somewhere to stop for the night then head across Italy to Vrhpolje ( Slovenia ) where I stayed once on a pleasant little campsite a short walk away from a nice village pub that serves food. Had a great seafood pizza + a few drinks for 10 quid. :lol: After that any which way to Budapest ( Hungary ). At least a couple of days in Budapest then a steady ride back to Calais by the motorways or do some exploring. Thinking of leaving the UK on or around July 28th or 29th and getting back a couple of weeks later. Still open to suggestions but I don't want it to get too complicated. Of course as has already been mentioned no body has to stick to my route/timetable.

Nick.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Calais to Burgundy is a, first day, route we have done many times - in all it’s configurations.
IMHO it’s not worth doing the northern section on minor roads - it’s so slow with a mixture of industrial and farming vehicles blocking progress.
We now take the Autoroute to Troyes (about 3 1/2 hours) then go directly south on smaller roads to either the Morvan region or a nice campsite in Nolay which is just south of Beaune.
May I suggest the Morvan, if you’ve never been there, it is a small, wooded, undulating region and very nice to ride through. Perhaps head for the lovely town of Avallon for your first night, that will give you a beautiful morning ride through the National Park before you head east.

Return to “TRAVEL”