Booked something.......

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
qcnr

Re: Booked something.......

Post by qcnr »

Make sure you have new rubber on. :-) The volcanic sand can shred tyres quite quickly.
Went to Iceland for 2 weeks early 2000, but from Bergen (same ferry) and in a 4x4 :-)
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

phil_h wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:40 pm
OnHellas wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:13 pm
Now, about that vaccine........
The EARLIEST that the FIRST lot of vaccines will be available is March, for just 2.5M people, and they're going to care homes and/or front-line staff.
It is unlikely that most people will see vaccine before next autumn.
Just saying whats been in all the news.

Boooo!
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

I doubt there will be any concept of ‘free travel’ and events etc in 2021

2022 would be a safer bet

Spanish flu was a 2-3 year pandemic, 100 years ago (and nobody travelled like we do now)

I see CV19 a 2 year pandemic at the very shortest
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

You’re quite likely correct, but hey, it’s booked now.
Something to plan for and it will make me get my Tenere 700 kitted up ready to go.

If the Iceland/Scandinavian TET trip doesn’t happen maybe it’ll be camping in Lincolnshire instead....either way, glamour travel it won’t be. :lol:
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

johnnyboxer wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:47 am I doubt there will be any concept of ‘free travel’ and events etc in 2021

2022 would be a safer bet

Spanish flu was a 2-3 year pandemic, 100 years ago (and nobody travelled like we do now)

I see CV19 a 2 year pandemic at the very shortest
My opinion, for what it’s worth, is that first world countries will be focused on getting things back to normal as quickly as possible and that includes holidays - 2nd and 3rd world may be more difficult to travel to in the medium term.
Let’s not forget that it’s possible, even now, to travel around Europe and North America by motorcycle (many people are doing it). There are conditions attached but it’s possible and happening.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

The trip has got to happen now, we’ve bought a Map and everything....! ;)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

OnHellas wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:05 pm The trip has got to happen now, we’ve bought a Map and everything....! ;)
My PhD involved the cultural importance of imagined geographies. Principally the relationship between the map and the territory in the history of exploration. Personally in my own world travels I have always found that the moment you first spread out a paper map of your intended journey is a profound time when your expectations, dreams and hopes of what you will see and experience are first set out in front of you in a tantalising form.

This feeling has been lost to some extent with the replacement of paper maps by GPS / Sat-Nav. Every 5 years or so I will go back to my good old Michelin maps of North and Central Africa and pore over them again, tracing not only my own route through Africa but the thousands of other possibilities I might have taken. I just love a good map, and buying one is like making a kind of early commitment to the adventure ahead...
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:35 pm
OnHellas wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:05 pm The trip has got to happen now, we’ve bought a Map and everything....! ;)
My PhD involved the cultural importance of imagined geographies. Principally the relationship between the map and the territory in the history of exploration. Personally in my own world travels I have always found that the moment you first spread out a paper map of your intended journey is a profound time when your expectations, dreams and hopes of what you will see and experience are first set out in front of you in a tantalising form.

This feeling has been lost to some extent with the replacement of paper maps by GPS / Sat-Nav. Every 5 years or so I will go back to my good old Michelin maps of North and Central Africa and pore over them again, tracing not only my own route through Africa but the thousands of other possibilities I might have taken. I just love a good map, and buying one is like making a kind of early commitment to the adventure ahead...
Spot on with the new map thing, paper maps still get the imagination going.....even with just two ‘O’ levels :lol: :lol:
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Watched a bit of ‘Itchy Boots’ in Iceland. I’ve never fancied Nordkapp but now Iceland is on the (realistically unachievable) list.
We’ve been to Stavanger and surrounds a couple of times, in a hire car, and would like to do a bit more of Norway on the bikes - is there a ferry from Bergan to Iceland? I can’t seem to find anything on the ferry sites.
Thanks
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

No Ferry from N to I.
It was the same ferry that just made a stop on Bergen as the one that goes from DK.
If you fancy coming back to Stavanger area on your bikes I can show you round :-)

Return to “TRAVEL”