A new problem has appeared.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
bowber

Re: A new problem has appeared.

Post by bowber »

clutchspring wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:05 pm I agree that any one causing a tailback should if possible pull over , but round wear I live we have a well known local cycling club & a lot of the members take their cycling very seriously,
I just cycle to keep the weight down & keep fit but some of them around hear go out on fully kitted out time trials bikes & are doing there ride against the clock.
Try telling some of them to pull over , but then again there probably going faster than some OAP on there way to the garden centre 😂.
They probably are going faster, but it's illegal to race on public roads and that includes any timed event, why cyclists think this doesn't include them I don't know.

Steve
stramasher

Post by stramasher »

Elmer J Fudd wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:08 pm Same local to me on the A737, 3 cyclists on the road together and a 3.5 mile tailback behind them (just checked on maps).

Luckily I was going the other way.

Yes, they have the right to be there, however are they so stupid as to not realise that they are causing a huge queue, or do they just not care?
Aw Gawd, A737 is going to be my new commute in a few weeks!
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

As soon as the cold and wet weather comes I reckon 75% of the new cyclists will never take to the road again.

So all the cycle lanes that were hurriedly created will be growing weeds.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

[/quote]

Aw Gawd, A737 is going to be my new commute in a few weeks!
[/quote]

North of Beith, towards M8, is slow in the mornings from 07:30 till after nine (in the old normal) and reverse in evening. Quite quiet for now, but has been building up. Luckily few nefarious cyclists at those times.

If going by bike, you will be fine until the weather deteriorates.

South of Beith is OK most of the time with Dalry bypass helping.

I (pre-Covid) took the train into Glasgow, from Glengarnock, but can't say I want to do that for a while, so will use the bike till the salt gritters are out.
McVicar

Post by McVicar »

Anyone over 17 riding a push bike is a bellend
fw750x

Post by fw750x »

A Quick Check of the Highway Code Rule 66 Never ride more the 2 Abreast and Ride in Single File on Busy or Narrow Roads , Rule 67 Be aware of Traffic coming up behind you, Rule 68 Ride in a Dangerous Careless or Inconsiderate Manner , Rule 69 You Must obey All Traffic signs and Traffic Signals , Rule 71 You must Not Cross the Stop Line when the Traffic Lights are Red, And im pretty sure You Must Dismount and wheel your Cycle across Pedestrian Crossings. All of these are Ignored by 90 % of Cyclists that i see on the roads every Single Day and of Course Dark Clothing and No Lights what so ever not even a Reflector when it is getting Dark and all through the Winter Months .
Fubbytucker

Post by Fubbytucker »

fw750x wrote:A Quick Check of the Highway Code Rule 66 Never ride more the 2 Abreast and Ride in Single File on Busy or Narrow Roads , Rule 67 Be aware of Traffic coming up behind you, Rule 68 Ride in a Dangerous Careless or Inconsiderate Manner , Rule 69 You Must obey All Traffic signs and Traffic Signals , Rule 71 You must Not Cross the Stop Line when the Traffic Lights are Red, And im pretty sure You Must Dismount and wheel your Cycle across Pedestrian Crossings. All of these are Ignored by 90 % of Cyclists that i see on the roads every Single Day and of Course Dark Clothing and No Lights what so ever not even a Reflector when it is getting Dark and all through the Winter Months .
Rule 68 seems to be followed religiously...
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

I've done a lot of miles this year and the shear ignorance and lack of respect from other road users is quite something. To hear the same on this forum is not surprising but allows me to form my own opinion of some of you in reverse ;)
20200731_065058.jpg
20200731_065058.jpg (210.59 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

In a minority of Society understanding, tolerance and respect has been replaced with Laws, entitlement and selfishness.
Thankfully the majority appear to be willing to adopt an attitude for positive coexistence.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Tonibe63 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:33 am In a minority of Society understanding, tolerance and respect has been replaced with Laws, entitlement and selfishness.
Thankfully the majority appear to be willing to adopt an attitude for positive coexistence.
Well said, Toni. I hope you're right about the majority. It doesn't seem like it sometimes. So many are just searching around for something to be offended by and upset about - and cyclists appear to be one of the many targets for some reason.

The day after tomorrow the Tour passes me about 10kms away, so I'll go and watch the spectacle. Cyclists, motorcyclists and horse-riders get pretty much universal respect and inclusion here in France. There's no discernable hatred or rivalry. I really don't understand it.

Return to “TRAVEL”