Update on the situation in Spain

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
AlanHolt

Update on the situation in Spain

Post by AlanHolt »

Following an email from Daveuprite, I thought i'd post about the recent changes in Spain.

I left the UK on Sunday, took the ferry from Portsmouth to Caen. No real change there, compulsory wearning of masks during the crossing, social distancing etc.

Upon arrival in France, no forms, no questions, no test, just check the passports and drive/ride.

Through France, masks were compulsory when entering any shop/restaurant.

At the border, there wasn't any police presence. In fact I don't recall seeing any police in Spain, France or England during my latest trip, however there was a huge police presence in Scotland by comparison.

In Spain, masks still have to be worn anywhere outside your home or vehicle. Madrid implemented an outdoor smoking ban, but that has been overturned today as we are not under a state or alarm. If the SOA is reimplemented, expect a countrywide smoking ban in public places where you can't ensure a 2m social distance.

When I arrived at my first delivery, in Benifallet, Catalonia, everything in the town was closed and there were 3 TV news crews on the streets. When I arrived at my customers house, she explained there had been a spike in covid cases. None one day, 1 the next, 4 the next and then 28 the next. This prompted a local lockdown and compulsory covid testing of everyone in the town (700 people). The town will only return to normal when the figures have fallen.

In the village where I now live, life is ok. As soon as you walk outside, everyone wears their mask. People go to bars and restaurants, remove their masks and its as though covid never happened. But it can change quickly, so you need to be prepared to change your plans and (this sounds extreme) have an escape plan. With Spains covid figures climbing daily, if things don't stabilise quickly, we could see another lockdown.

And to those of you who live in the UK and haven't been to Spain since mid-March, you haven't got a clue what lockdown here is really like. The UK's approach to Covid is very tame compared to Spain. Having said that, once you get used to having a couple of masks with you at all times, and always wearing one, its still a great place to be.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Barcelona Pat

Re: Update on the situation in Spain

Post by Barcelona Pat »

Thanks for the update Alan - I've been in Wales for the last month or so, and heading home to BCN on Saturday.

Quarantine at our place in Wales in July was a pain - but I was homeworking so not too bad. Hols in west wales over last few weeks more than made up for it - mountain bikes and beach in all weathers - the nipper loved it, as did I.

Ryanair have recently cancelled my 6 flights in September and October (thankfully not our return next weekend) - so clearly they are operating routes at a loss since restrictions were heightened. Not sure where that leaves me - will have to discuss with office when I return to work next week - but it may be a while before I return. But who knows, might be the incentive I need to get Idris on the road for a run north once again!

News in Spain talking about a meeting between President and autonomous community leaders later this week - so expecting / hoping for some clarity to come following that. At very least, we'll want to know what is happening with our daughter's schooling. I really do hope we can avoid another lock down, but if its needed... Last time the nipper didn't take a step outside our building for almost 2 months (as you say, lockdown in Spain is a different experience to UK). Which is why we prioritised getting muddy / sandy this summer!!
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Glad that you & yours are all well Pat - long time no see ;)

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Misti

Post by Misti »

Thanks for the update. I was supposed to do some riding in Italy this July and Spain this fall but I'm in Canada and can't travel anywhere without facing a 14-day quarantine upon return. Looks like I'll be staying put for a while....bummer as this year was set to be a banner year with coaching in the USA and abroad and lots of fun trips planned, including a month-long vacay/riding in Australia. What a strange year.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Three of us left bikes in Spain, rode them over early mach just before everything closed and got back on 9th March.

Finally decided over last couple of days to have them shipped back to us at home as no chance of getting the planned outings. Our local Spanish friends have kept us informed of events there and happy to bring them back. The places we like in France are also not encouraging visitors so taking them back to France isn't working either.

10 days camping 4 weeks back here made my summer and more on the cards without needing international travel.

As for Ryanair, trying to get refunds for flights cancelled in March...after 4 months, having asked for refund instead of voucher, received a voucher option, 'valid for 12 months'...........except the 12 months stars the date of the original flight so its not valid for 12 months. I don't use them anymore, regular air lines are cheaper if you need a cabin bag and have to spend an age travelling to the city you actually thought you flew to.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

I've shipped quite a few bikes back during the pandemic. Those who are prepared to risk the disruption seem to enjoy their time in Europe, but not everyone likes to travel with that hanging over their heads.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

https://english.elpais.com/politics/202 ... 1598365735

Each region can now implement it's own state of alarm.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:20 pm Three of us left bikes in Spain, rode them over early mach just before everything closed and got back on 9th March.

Finally decided over last couple of days to have them shipped back to us at home as no chance of getting the planned outings. Our local Spanish friends have kept us informed of events there and happy to bring them back. The places we like in France are also not encouraging visitors so taking them back to France isn't working either.

10 days camping 4 weeks back here made my summer and more on the cards without needing international travel.

As for Ryanair, trying to get refunds for flights cancelled in March...after 4 months, having asked for refund instead of voucher, received a voucher option, 'valid for 12 months'...........except the 12 months stars the date of the original flight so its not valid for 12 months. I don't use them anymore, regular air lines are cheaper if you need a cabin bag and have to spend an age travelling to the city you actually thought you flew to.
I had Ryanair flights cancelled in March. I applied for a refund the same day 31st March. A bit later i received a travel voucher valid for a year for £985. I eventually got hold of them on live chat and they confirmed my request for a cash refund. A week later they said if i didn,t use my travel voucher within a year they would refund me at the end. I said this was no good and insisted on a full refund. I heard nothing until 14th July where they said a refund had been issued and would be in my bank within 5-7 working days. After several emails which they completely ignored i have still heard nothing and we are now near the end of August. Does their complete indifference mean they are doing anything or not? I will never use them again. Even Martin Lewis has reported them to the ombudsman.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

frenchy3 wrote:
92kk k100lt 193214 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:20 pm Three of us left bikes in Spain, rode them over early mach just before everything closed and got back on 9th March.

I had Ryanair flights cancelled in March. I applied for a refund the same day 31st March. A bit later i received a travel voucher valid for a year for £985. I eventually got hold of them on live chat and they confirmed my request for a cash refund. A week later they said if i didn,t use my travel voucher within a year they would refund me at the end. I said this was no good and insisted on a full refund. I heard nothing until 14th July where they said a refund had been issued and would be in my bank within 5-7 working days. After several emails which they completely ignored i have still heard nothing and we are now near the end of August. Does their complete indifference mean they are doing anything or not? I will never use them again. Even Martin Lewis has reported them to the ombudsman.
My OH had the run around with RyanAir when they cancelled her flights at Easter
No refund so she invoked her credit card to refund her in 48 hours - which they did
Her bank have a bigger legal team to obtain their refund from the airline, than us
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “TRAVEL”