Campsites in Spain?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Jak*

Campsites in Spain?

Post by Jak* »

Hi, I am heading from Portugal across the the Pyrenees in a few days time. A straight line would take me through Madrid towards Zaragoza. I intend to avoid motorways Madrid and any large towns if possible. Can anyone recommend any campsites or good spots along the way to wild camp? Or any must ride roads? Thanks
spangle

Re: Campsites in Spain?

Post by spangle »

There's plenty of cheap municipal campsites with great facilities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

I went to a campsite whilst cycling in Spain, doing the Camino some years ago.

Arrived at a sunburnt field and thought, 'this doesn't bode well'.

Had a look at the facilities block, I would have happily slept on the floor of the toilets. Absolutely pristine, far cleaner than my home and certainly better than a lot campsites in the UK.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

It'll be too dam hot in Central Spain and avoid Madrid at all costs for obvious reasons.. Cough cough..

It's also peak camp season in Spain, stick rural and you'll be fine..
spangle

Post by spangle »

Jak* wrote:Hi, I am heading from Portugal across the the Pyrenees in a few days time. A straight line would take me through Madrid towards Zaragoza. I intend to avoid motorways Madrid and any large towns if possible. Can anyone recommend any campsites or good spots along the way to wild camp? Or any must ride roads? Thanks
Also, I'd stick north. Head towards south of Leon & Oviedo, you have mountain roads all the way to the Pyrenees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

What bike are you on Jak?
I prefer The Picos to the Pyrenees. Maybe head for the lake at Riano, up to Potes (get supplies), turn off for Fonte de then find the trail up over the mountain to Sotres, plenty of areas to wild camp plus a few refuges up there (thanks Tramp for the headsup). At Sotres you can then head up over the top to Tresviso, it's like a moonscape up there. It is a dead end road but there is a former trail towards the N261 (not ridden it myself but Tramp may know it). If not the road back to Las Arenas and on to Panes is fantastic. Timewise I would allow a full day.
We were 2up on a 1200gs which was hard going at times but doable and didn't drop it.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Hi, thanks for the replies. I am in. Himalayan. I rode down through the Pyrenees and am staying near Pedrago Grande at the Moment. I will probably head to Castrol Branch near the border then to Plasencia and go north of Madrid. I am heading for my cousin's place in the south of France then onto northern Italy. I have been on the roads to the south of Madrid before but usually at Easter when a lot of campsites bare still closed.
So far Portugal and Spain both seem more Covid cautious than the UK.
Cheers.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Whereabouts in South of France Jak? Lots of roads around the border with Spain ..... Wibo and WillS country.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Near Ales, North of Montpellier, I am thinking of heading from there to the Moto camping at Saliens near Crest, then over the Alps. Cheers
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

France is going to be on the UK list of countries you have to quarantine after visiting according to the BBC.

Return to “TRAVEL”