Dartmoor Wild camping with bike

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
HoboBeemer

Dartmoor Wild camping with bike

Post by HoboBeemer »

As much of the year has been postponed ref my riding trips I am starting to plan a few outings for later this month,

I would be interested to hear what is the situation ref wildcamping and motorcycles on Dartmoor, obviously once the green light is shown wild camping will be back on the menu there but having not been that way for years is there any recommended locations that one can go and camp alongside the motorcycle rather than leaving it in a car park and trekking out to a camp spot?.

Basically just want to do the right thing and not have rangers coming after me, I have looked at the OS maps and locations that you can camp and have seen a few possibly locations but anyone got first hand knowledge of the area or even if you know a spot that you can PM me with would be much appreciated.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Dartmoor Wild camping with bike

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

https://getoutside.ordnancesurvey.co.uk ... -dartmoor/

You must be at least 100 m from the road, and you must leave your bike parked on the road or a designated place where overnight parking is permitted.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Or not get seen..... 8-)
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

You could ask a farmer if you can pitch up inside a gateway somewhere, how far off of tarmac are you prepared to ride?
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I have been wild camping all over the UK and Europe for over 20 years and i ignore the legal aspect of it but respect the land and never leave a trace i have been there other than a bit of flattened grass. I take every bit of rubbish away with me and dispose of it correctly. Most of my hammock camping was done on my Harley Davidson MT350 which is green and we used army tarps and camoflaged the bikes with falen twigs/leaves over the headlight,reflectors,indicator lenses etc. we always headed into the middle of wooded areas and have had early morning walkers go within a few feet and not realise we were there. Abroad as long as you respect everything people seem to have no problems with you wild camping. The MT350 even had a convoy switch which turned every light off so you could ride into the woods at dusk and set up camp without being spotted. It is a bit different in the UK where the "get off my land" mentality is prevalent but what they don,t see isn,t going to hurt them.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

its a sad thing that innocent everyday outdoor activities are all illegal in the UK?
Richard Simpson Mark II

frenchy3 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:54 am I have been wild camping all over the UK and Europe for over 20 years and i ignore the legal aspect of it but respect the land and never leave a trace i have been there other than a bit of flattened grass. I take every bit of rubbish away with me and dispose of it correctly. Most of my hammock camping was done on my Harley Davidson MT350 which is green and we used army tarps and camoflaged the bikes with falen twigs/leaves over the headlight,reflectors,indicator lenses etc. we always headed into the middle of wooded areas and have had early morning walkers go within a few feet and not realise we were there. Abroad as long as you respect everything people seem to have no problems with you wild camping. The MT350 even had a convoy switch which turned every light off so you could ride into the woods at dusk and set up camp without being spotted. It is a bit different in the UK where the "get off my land" mentality is prevalent but what they don,t see isn,t going to hurt them.
Mate of mine used to work for Encounter Overland, taking bands of travellers around the world.
He wild-camped with a truckload of happy campers in former Yugoslavia...next thing was he got arrested and accused of 'spying'. the crushing evidence against him was that he was the driver of a foreign military vehicle...EO used old Bedford MTs, purchased off the Ministry of Defence and refurbished.
They let him go the next day after he'd dug around in the slush fund a bit...and he realised the real crime was that he hadn't paid for an official camp site.

"If money go before, all ways do lie open," as Shakespeare said.
Richard Simpson Mark II

garyboy wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:44 pm its a sad thing that innocent everyday outdoor activities are all illegal in the UK?

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

ok .. so SOME things are legal?
but I can't see the point of travelling all that distance for just nearly 2 minutes .. 8-) :)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I was riding over the Bwlch mountain pass in wales a few months ago .. a remote windy road .. when i suddenly saw a couple heading towards the nearby woods, from their parked car at the side of the narrow road ......
the very attractive young lady had not much on .... just a skimpy see through netting bodice thing .. the rest deliciously naked and proud ...

she turned round at my goggling eyes and strained neck ... and gave such a lovely smile ..

I managed to stay on the bike, even though on a dangerous tight bend

I still have ptsd visions of that beautifully wobbling tanned bum, and tanned shapely legs .

OMG .. i just realised they were dogging ???

and i could have watched ????

Return to “TRAVEL”