UK Superbike School back in operation!!

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Misti

UK Superbike School back in operation!!

Post by Misti »

Just an FYI that the UK branch of the California Superbike School is back in operation after changing management. Here is a message from CSS founder and author of Twist of the Wrist series, Keith Code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... =emb_logo
This is super exciting for everyone and once restrictions during Covid are clearer, dates will open up and it's back to riding!!!

I'm hoping to be able to get to do some work with this incredible group of coaches on some new tracks once international travel resumes.

Wooohoooo!!

PS. I've been coaching with CSS for over 15 years now so if you have any questions please fire away!

What tracks are on the top of your bucket list to try?
daveuprite

Re: UK Superbike School back in operation!!

Post by daveuprite »

I didn't actually realise Keith Code was still alive. I liked his twist of the wrist stuff back in the day and applied some of it to my own racing. Is he still a church of scientology nutcase?
Misti

Post by Misti »

He's 75 and fit as a whippersnapper, still riding and knee dragging and attending most of the 80+ dates we run in the USA, often travelling to other countries to run schools as well. This year marks the 40th anniversary of the Superbike School.

Speaking of Twist of the Wrist....it can now be found on amazon to be watched or downloaded via prime.

https://www.amazon.com/…/d…/B089ZNVBW9/ ... share_cu_r

:D 8-)

where did you race? fav track?
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Misti wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:03 am
where did you race? fav track?
Oh, nowhere particularly special. All the main UK tracks - Brands Hatch, Donington, Oulton Pk, Cadwell, Snetterton, Pembrey, Castle Combe, etc etc. Mainly Supersport 600 but also MRO Aprilia Mille Cup series and 3 years of the KRC Endurance series (6 or 8 hr races) as part of a team. The odd visit to Bishopscourt in Northern Ireland, Spa in Belgium, Val De Vienne and Le Mans Bugatti circuits in France. Got a Clubman ACU licence and was going for an International Licence but never had the time to pursue it - strictly amateur. I fancied the idea of the Manx but my other half quite rightly banned all road-racing - which is why I can still type this now...

Favourite track to ride? Probably Oulton Park as a whole circuit, but favourite sections of track would be Craner Curves at Donington, the woodland section of Brands GP circuit and the first half of Spa Francochamps. Nurburgring (Nordschlief) was a regular favourite for track time, but I never raced there. A little private track called Le Mas Du Clos in central France is amazing to ride but sadly closed to public access now.

I remember the CSS turning up at Cadwell for an instruction school the day after Bemsee was racing there. Impressive set up with that 'leaning skills bike' and the rest.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

daveuprite wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:03 pm I didn't actually realise Keith Code was still alive. I liked his twist of the wrist stuff back in the day and applied some of it to my own racing. Is he still a church of scientology nutcase?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Coincidentally, I found this when sorting out some stuff in the garage a couple of days ago.... bought I think when doing CSS at Rockingham a while ago, but I've no intention of re-reading it ☺
Attachments
20200623_103524.jpg
20200623_103524.jpg (93.96 KiB) Viewed 3330 times
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

That is good news, not done CSS but was considering it prior to them closing.

I have not watched the video yet but I wonder what track or tracks they will be based at?. Looking at the shear lack of trackdays as opposed to years back (due to noise I believe) it will be interesting to see how they manage to sqeeze in, they use to be based at Rockingham before it sadly closed if I am not mistaken?..
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

HoboBeemer wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:02 pm That is good news, not done CSS but was considering it prior to them closing.

I have not watched the video yet but I wonder what track or tracks they will be based at?. Looking at the shear lack of trackdays as opposed to years back (due to noise I believe) it will be interesting to see how they manage to sqeeze in, they use to be based at Rockingham before it sadly closed if I am not mistaken?..
Hobo, take a look at the No Limits schedule. Track days have been permitted again this year, so No Limits have re-opened their dates for the rest of the year. Yes, as you say, there have been noise restrictions since the free-for-all days of the late 90s/early 2000s, but there's still a lot of dates and venues available. This is not the targeted detailed tuition you get with CSS, but it's track time, which is IMO still the best way to learn what your bike (and you) are really capable of.
Misti

Post by Misti »

HoboBeemer wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:02 pm That is good news, not done CSS but was considering it prior to them closing.

Right now they list schools in Cadwell Park and Bedford Autodrome for late August and early September. Not sure if they will be cancelled due to Covid but that is what they have listed currently. I'm not exactly sure what tracks they used to run at- though they had quite the extensive list of tracks and countries they visited. They are such a good group of guys, I'm really hoping that things get sorted out this year. What a weird and twisted year for everyone right?!~
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

I was an bad club racer for a while and my claim to fame was running bikes in about 10 classes ! I did CSS up to level 4 (?) and was very impressed with the coaching but Keith's books are super dry. I've got a set if anyone wants them ?
They ran at the tiny track in the middle of Silverstone and at Rockingham, both bland and forgettable because they want you to think about how you find your reference point, not find it easily. Rockingham was good for that because if you blinked you couldnt tell which corner you were in :lol:
Its better off as a car park.
If you're being coached on distinguishing between your good habits and your bad habits you realyy (really) want a car park with cones, not a nice race track. Ah ! Bedford Autodrome !

My favourite track was Snetterton - enough space to overtake in more than 1 or 2 places !!! Had some great races there.
Silverstone was crap. Flat and featureless and only seemed to reward people with enough money for the fastest bike.
Oulton and Cadwell I thought crap for racing too - wonderful for trackdays, but sod-all overtaking unless you torpedo into a chicane :? Both are 'interesting' to practice your 'luge' skills at though :roll: Someone asked about the dent in the tank of my 250 desmo last week and instantly reminded me of Brands Clearways :(
2021 890 Adventure R
1982 R80 G/S with Siebenrock
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
1957 Velocette 500 Scrambler

Return to “TRAVEL”