Norway & Nordcap

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
RH_SCOTLAND

Norway & Nordcap

Post by RH_SCOTLAND »

Looking at the Nordcap for a wee run.

What is the earliest in the year I could leave UK while not encountering roads closed due to snow and also hopefully avoid the worst of the mosquitos? I don't mind riding with some white stuff around, but I'd rather not have to fight my way through three foot of snow and alternative routes due to lingering drifts.

Camping and hyttes for the whole trip.

I aim to go Hirtshals to Kristiansand on the way out, a route I've used previously while working, then head north sticking to the coast, ish. Back down through Finland and Sweden. I would have liked to pop into Russia from somewhere around Imatra, Finland and head to St Petersberg if possible. Follow the road from St Pertersberg to Narva then on to Tallin along the coast. Through Baltic States and into Poland. But I know Russia can be problematic. So may just be a ferry from Helsinki to Tallin.

Not sure where from there. Might head south east to Ukraine and on down to Greece prior to the return run home via the Balkans.

Very early days planning. Looking at 2022, as I will have a break from work for a year. The main thing I am needing is a start date and that depends upon Norway. Want to be early enough to avoid midges, but late enough to avoid closed roads due to weather.

Advice on dates, roads, routes etc gratefully received from those who have been there.

I'm also speaking with some friends in Norway to see what they advise.

TIA
Some people are alive simply because its illegal to kill them....
qcnr

Re: Norway & Nordcap

Post by qcnr »

It all depends on how much snow there is during the winter. Some local mountain roads here (Rogaland) are still
closed. But generally mid May to early June should see all roads open.
Once you have a 'sort of' route, let me know and I'll give you some tips of places you must go to...
:D
PaulinBont

Re: Norway & Nordcap

Post by PaulinBont »

Russia isn't problematic at all; I've crossed from Estonia into Russia, as long as your paperwork is in order it is easy. Seeing as you'll be up North, I'd consider going into Russia from Finland and maybe back into the EU via one of the Baltic States.

Return to “TRAVEL”