When this is over. Where are you taking your bike?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
BobH

Re: When this is over. Where are you taking your bike?

Post by BobH »

Out, just out anywhere. Strap on camping kit and just ride north (and stop before the midges home).
spangle

Post by spangle »

Up the Chalfonts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flamair

Post by flamair »

Magnon wrote:We were lucky to get a trip in down to Alicante just before lockdown, but doesn’t seem to make my feet any less itchy. Problem here in France is that the restaurants won’t be opening again until mid July. We’ll probably head down south destination Le Lavandou.
Magnon..

Now that sounds interesting...

Wife and I had got a trip from Le Havre- Calais planned via Loire, Limoges, Sarlat me Canada Carcasonne then back up through Millau to Troyes and home.

I'd pretty much written it off this year but your words give me some slight hope!

Our dates were out on the 26th August for 10 days..

What's the grapevine in France suggesting for things returning to some sort of normal?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
flamair

Post by flamair »

Peirre wrote:Re: travel insurance
I’m anticipating that the cost of travel insurance is going to go through the roof
It will just not cover anything to do with Covid/pandemics.

Can't see why there'd be any other issue.

Remember, you're unique!

johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

flamair wrote:
Magnon wrote:We were lucky to get a trip in down to Alicante just before lockdown, but doesn’t seem to make my feet any less itchy. Problem here in France is that the restaurants won’t be opening again until mid July. We’ll probably head down south destination Le Lavandou.
Magnon..

Wife and I had got a trip from Le Havre- Calais planned via Loire, Limoges, Sarlat me Canada Carcasonne then back up through Millau to Troyes and home.

I'd pretty much written it off this year but your words give me some slight hope!

What's the grapevine in France suggesting for things returning to some sort of normal?

I reckon 2021 as there will be another bigger 2nd wave of pandemic in late summer and autumn 2020

Not much chance of travel in 2020, I probably won’t even tax or ride mine for another year

It’s a bugger ain’t it

Bloke in our bike club has had it - I found out yesterday

Normally fit and healthy and rides dirt bikes etc

4 days in hospital and luckily now out - he’s fucked now and can hardly walk - no breathing left
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

johnnyboxer wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:35 am
flamair wrote:
Magnon..

I reckon 2021 as there will be another bigger 2nd wave of pandemic in late summer and autumn 2020

Not much chance of travel in 2020, I probably won’t even tax or ride mine for another year

It’s a bugger ain’t it

4 days in hospital and luckily now out - he’s fucked now and can hardly walk - no breathing left
That’s a very pessimistic view there JB, however, it is true to say that the date for easing the current restrictions is moving forward all the time and we’re now looking at September before some degree of normality returns which means tha the tourist season has alread been pretty much written off.

The chances of a second wave are high especially if lockdown is released too soon but, as they are suggesting, releasing lockdown will be influenced by economic as well as health factors. European countries have accepted a level of deaths from seasonal flu for many years without going into lockdown every year so it’s possibly going to be the same situation with Covid especially when a vaccine/treatment is available.

I had a mild dose of Covid which I must have brought back from Spain at the beginning of March. I believe there must be some kind of genetic reason for some people getting a worse dose than others.
flamair

Post by flamair »

Magnon wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:35 am
flamair wrote:
Magnon..

It’s a bugger ain’t it

That’s a very pessimistic view there JB, however, it is true to say that the date for easing the current restrictions is moving forward all the time and we’re now looking at September before some degree of normality returns which means tha the tourist season has alread been pretty much written off.

The chances of a second wave are high especially if lockdown is released too soon but, as they are suggesting, releasing lockdown will be influenced by economic as well as health factors. European countries have accepted a level of deaths from seasonal flu for many years without going into lockdown every year so it’s possibly going to be the same situation with Covid especially when a vaccine/treatment is available.

I had a mild dose of Covid which I must have brought back from Spain at the beginning of March. I believe there must be some kind of genetic reason for some people getting a worse dose than others.
Partly genetic and partly due to fitness levels and other health issues. Yes, there'll be the odd superfit person that succumbs as there is to flu. But in general if you're fit and we'll and receive any treatment you need you aren't going to die of Covid.

I've seen a number of deaths of 'younger' (40s & 50s) patients claimed to have no pre existing conditions. Then you look at the picture of them and they're clearly 4 or 5 stone overweight. That's a pretty serious pre-existing condition!

Sadly, I feel my original theory that It won't be happening this year is correct.

If the medical experts' advice is to be followed we won't be out of lockdown until there's a vaccine or cure.

With HIV it took 30 years to develop. Based on that we might as well all well our bikes..(though who to, no one will be riding?) and just sit at home and die of boredom.

A compromise is certainly needed. Whether we will get it I don't know... But for mine and a lot if other folks' sanity this cannot continue as it is for much longer.

Remember, you're unique!

spangle

Post by spangle »

I see Spain & Italy have declared themselves a no go zone for any kind of tourism at least until 2021 with France highly likely to follow suit. Some Spanish islands will open but only to Spanish nationals.

Meanwhile, thousands are still being allowed to enter the UK daily without checks, screening or quarantine - although our ‘leaders’ have now recognised the flaw in their current strategy!

flamair

Post by flamair »

spangle wrote:I see Spain & Italy have declared themselves a no go zone for any kind of tourism at least until 2021 with France highly likely to follow suit. Some Spanish islands will open but only to Spanish nationals.

Meanwhile, thousands are still being allowed to enter the UK daily without checks, screening or quarantine - although our ‘leaders’ have now recognised the flaw in their current strategy!

The irony is... It won't make the problem go away. It will just cause mayhem and upset for millions who rely on tourism for their livelihood. Families will be torn apart, businesses lost etc. Hardship is sure to follow.

But politically that isn't as damaging as old folk dying of Covid, so it's acceptable.

I don't know what the answer is. But I know what it isn't. Pretending lockdown will sort this issue is crazy. It won't. But it won't half damage a lot of people in other ways.

Remember, you're unique!

spangle

Post by spangle »

Lockdown alone obviously isn’t the answer, only when combined with testing & contact tracing does it become a potential permanent solution.

Unfortunately, for us, that ship sailed a few months ago aboard HMG Herd Immunity

Return to “TRAVEL”