Mallorca

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Ksithumper

Mallorca

Post by Ksithumper »

ny recommendatios for a 1-2 day ride around Mallorca?
Also bike hire? Cheers
daveuprite

Re: Mallorca

Post by daveuprite »

The northern mountain routes are spectacular and great on a bike. For instance:

If starting in Palma, ride north to Valdemossa, then follow MA10 to Deia and then Soller. The coastal cliffs will be on your left.

From Soller you can go down to Puerto De Soller for lunch by the sea. Then return to pick up MA10 again, and follow it past Fornalutz. This road is excellent and takes you high up to the lakes near the summit of Puig Major.

Just after Gorg Blau lake, take a left turn towards Sa Calobra. This is the best road on the island, with loads of hairpins and even a place where the road loops under itself. A steep descent takes you to a dead end - the hamlet of Sa Callobra. You can walk through narrow tunnels to where the Torrent de Pareis meets the sea - fantastic place. Don't miss this.

Then ride back up to the main road and re-join MA10. Ride past the monastery at Lluc and keep going to Pollenca. Then get on the MA2200 and ride to Puerto De Pollenca, then carry on all the way to Formentor point, which is the furthest north-east point of the island - and pretty spectacular views.

You could then back-track to Puerto De Pollensa, follow the coast south through Alcudia and visit the Caves of Arta, which are superb, or further south to the Caves of Drach - also excellent. Mallorca is great for caves.

So many sheeple just head for the horrible beach 'resorts' at Magaluf and miss out on some of the best scenery in europe. Mallorca is a great place to ride a bike. Have fun.
Dansin

Post by Dansin »

You can hire road and off road bikes from Mallorquin Bikes in Felanitx. They’re super friendly and always have great bikes and kit. We’ve done a few off road days with them and they’ve been fantastic.

https://www.mallorquin-bikes.de/en/bike ... s-to-rent/
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

I have cycled thousands of miles in Mallorca and it certainly is a Island of two landscapes, the south is fairly flat and as stated the North is where the mountain range is.

I personally would tend to stay in Soller in the north, nice little town with a good India restaurant ;) .

I think the main route is covered above, Sa Calobra is absolute must and a engineering marvel, the Road actually doesn't really go anywhere, you ride down it to ride back up!!!.

The highest route on the Island is "Puig Major" and leads onto Sa Calobra, you can access it from Soller and is a few minutes out of town.

Another little gem of a road is the "Coll De Sa Batalla" from Inca.

Basically anything in the North of the Island is going to be mountain switch backs, I personally would want 3-4 days to explore on a motorcycle AND BE WARNED

The weather in Jan-Feb and even early March "can" be iffy, I had a trip in late Feb 2017 cancelled because it snowed and a Pal of mine had a rotten trip I think it was this year again late Feb where it was hideous conditions at anything other than sea level. Whilst it has probably the most favorable conditions within Europe the last few years have seen some real extremes with weather there early on, I personally would not be booking anything any earlier than mid March. Nothing worse than doing all the leg work to be let down by the weather!!!!.

All in I think if I could live anywhere it would be Mallorca to be honest, the only downside is the cost to get there on your own bike by sea, but that is for another thread.

Sadly I cannot help with Motorcycle rental information but I am sure there will be a number of options.

Regards
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

Great input, thanks guys . How about off tarmac? Any trails/maps or gpx tracks?
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

Ksithumper wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:06 pm Great input, thanks guys . How about off tarmac? Any trails/maps or gpx tracks?
Whilst it is not something I have looked into previous I would not think of Mallorca when looking for off road trails, the issues you have is that a lot of the outdoor areas can be well used by cyclist/Mountain Bikers, climbers and hikers. Whilst I can think access would be granted to these folks I can see issues if people started tearing around on enduro bikes.

I have seen hiking trails sign posted in the North but I very much doubt they will give motorcycle access, but then I could be wrong...

I would see if you can find a tour company offering "Green lane" type days and if you can find someone running these you know there must be some trails.
Dansin

Post by Dansin »

Mallorca is amazing for riding off road. We’ve never had any issues with landowners, walkers, pushbikes or horses. The last time we went out, we only saw one other person out on the trails in the whole day. Follow my link above to Mallorquin bikes and you’ll see they do guided off road rides and training. We have a house near Palma but mostly ride on the East/North of the island. Plenty of space to get out in without meeting anyone else. Just remember to take a camelbak as it can get warm even in Spring. We did a day last year in August and got through six litres of water...

Return to “TRAVEL”