Bulgaria

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
strimstrum

Bulgaria

Post by strimstrum »

In 2014 me and Bushman brought a group of ABR riders from the UK to the Motocamp situated in a small village in the foothills of the Bulgarian Stara Planina (Old Mountain). We had a fantastic trip and went through France, Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania and then Bulgaria.

I now live in the same village as the Motocamp along with other biker Brits, some you may know...Phil (Homer) and Laura (Bonniebird), Nicky & Louis Dutton, Graham Field, Chris Bright and other travellers. There are lots of off road tracks (and I really do mean lots and lots) and some good asphalt roads plus lots to see and do.

I am thinking of maybe bringing another group here next August (2018) but want to measure the interest first. Motocamp will be our base (around £12 per night incl breakfast per person) but the hotels to and from Bulgaria will be up to you to book but I will let everyone know well in advance where I shall stay each evening. It will take around 4 days to get down here (around 1700 miles) and you will be here for around 5/6 or 7 days depending on what people want. I will not be chaperoning back to the UK but by the time you have arrived here you will be super confident about riding back anyway.

So, if there is any interest please let me know. I need to know by the end of October 2017 so that I can make bookings etc.

I will not be doing this as a tour and I will not make any money from this, in fact I will spend the same as everyone else.

Martin
Last edited by strimstrum on Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bikenav

Re: Bulgaria

Post by bikenav »

Hello there Martin, Did this run with Martin and Mark back in 2013 it was a good craic with a good bunch. The motocamp in bulgaria- real nice people very,very chilled out place. On that occassion people joined the group on the way rode sometimes together and at times in little splinter groups some stayed longer others shorter It seemed to work very well, sure Martin will make this a nice ride for you.
Already thinking of Shipping my 640A down to the Balkans someplace, flying down myself and riding back on some trails next year but who knows, Say hello to Mark,Homer and Laura etc for me.
Paul.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

dave ..is your man for bulgaria shipping ..been 3 times now ..saves the 4000 mile round trip ..

https://www.bulgariabikeshipping.com/
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Now this sounds interesting, see if me and Euni could make it.
Be nice to catch up and let you buy me a Bulgarian beer Martin. ;)
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Sloth

Post by Sloth »

Hi ..Yes I would be interested :)
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

last time
Attachments
bulgaria route image.jpg
bulgaria route image.jpg (113.79 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
IMG_0689.JPG
IMG_0689.JPG (91.11 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
IMG_0713.JPG
IMG_0713.JPG (122.3 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

As Bonniebird pointed out to me last night.....the trip was in 2014 not 2013.

That trip down took in the Church of Bones at Kutna Hora in the Czech Republic plus the Transalpina and the Transfagarasan in Romania. The pace is set by the riders, it is not a race but more something to be savoured. The next trip could incorporate some or all of the above or alternative things to see or a completely different route taking in the Alps and Italy with a ferry to Northern Greece. Lots of different ways to get to Bulgaria. If you find the thread set up in 2013 running through to 2014 there is a bit more information about just how cheap Bulgaria is.

Phil & Laura have mapped several trails some easy some more difficult if anyone is interested in off roading.

Dave & Euni, this would be your kind of place I am sure and thank you Paul for endorsing the last trip.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... ia#p230813

This thread has reminded me that I am 55 next year :o and as yet I haven't been to Eastern Europe.
Due to my Wife's job (she struggles to get more than 3 weeks off together) we haven't gone further than Montenegro (18 days round trip) but I think we could do a round trip by taking 3 weeks to get to Bulgaria, store the bike there and fly back out to complete the round trip a month or so later.
What is the weather like travelling down to Bulgaria in August (too hot?) and also on the return through Greece/Albania/etc in late September/October?
Alternatively, is the round trip feasible in a maximum 25 days without having to miss out the sites and with the occasional day off the bike?

Cheers, Tony
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

Hi Tony,
The Motocamp in Bulgaria can store your bike, I think they charge 10 euros per month.

Travelling down in August can be hot - around 30 to 35 degrees - plus the odd thunderstorm which normally kick off in the afternoon. Having said that plenty of time to stop and rehydrate and I always book hotels where there is wifi and air conditioning so it is only hot and sticky whilst riding which I reckon is much better than being freezing cold. Late September and October is normally OK in Bulgaria and same goes for Albania and Greece but best to avoid mountainous areas as these could be several degrees lower. Me and Mark went from Bulgaria through Serbia, Montenegro, Albania and Greece in July this year so we can give you some pointers if you wish.

Temperature today is around 32 degrees in Bulgaria with no rain forecast for a few days

Finally 25 days is ample to get to grips with Eastern Europe with rest days.

Martin
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

bikenav wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:21 pm Hello there Martin, Did this run with Martin and Mark back in 2013 it was a good craic with a good bunch. The motocamp in bulgaria- real nice people very,very chilled out place. On that occassion people joined the group on the way rode sometimes together and at times in little splinter groups some stayed longer others shorter It seemed to work very well, sure Martin will make this a nice ride for you.
Already thinking of Shipping my 640A down to the Balkans someplace, flying down myself and riding back on some trails next year but who knows, Say hello to Mark,Homer and Laura etc for me.
Paul.
Thanks for the endorsement Paul. The group that came were a fantastic bunch and they all embraced the slow pace of life here. You can ship your bike to the Motocamp if you want, they store for around 10 euros a month. Phil & Laura who were in your group now live here and they have lots of trails already mapped.

Return to “TRAVEL”